1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hardware And Collars

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Bullyboi, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

Well im about to order the hardware for the chain setup from here and i figured i might go ahead and get a collar too since they got em.

Well i was gonna get a regular two inch but i saw they had PADDED collars.
    My questions are..........

do u use any padded collars??

does a padded collar really make any difference for a pulling dog that chokes herself easy??

Someone else also told me that it might get to hot though but im more concerened about if it will be easier on her neck.

If it isnt im not gonna spend the extra money for the padded.

http://www.bulldogsupplycompany.com/collars.html

thanks for any replys

2. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Just having the extra wide 2 inch collar will help tremendously to prevent choking,,,I wouldnt worry so much about a dog getting too hot wearing one since they dont sweat I doubt it would effect the skin or body temp too much as long as water is available like normal....but for the money I wouldnt worry about it just get a normal one...the padding is more for the humans comfort rather than the dogs and doesnt prevent choking....its the width that prevents choking....

3. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

thanks for replying

yea i have one 2 inch right now and thats what i walk her on but she still chokes herself a little but it wont hurt to have an extra 2 inch laying around.

im just gonna get the regular 2 inch.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I highly recommend 2" seatbelt for chain fighters.

The padded are nice but you need to wash them about every 2 weeks.

I think the seatbelt, wears less on thier neck, due to its texture.

5. i had a padded colar a long time ago and to be honest i wouldnt purchase another i didnt like it one bit,like was said it has to be washed every couple weeks,they cost more money,and after about 6 months even though it was washed twice a month it started to get a odor off of it so i tossed it and never purchase anything but the extra wide nylon it's the best imo.

6. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

I have a dog that i have to keep in a pen because he tears his neck up when he is on his chain, he is 110 miles anhour on that chain all the time and the collar ends up cutting in to him. he runs the circle at the end of his chain. i was wondering what kind of collar i should use?.? i have used both two inch and one inch any suggestions. in the pen he is still 11o lol he has his paths wore down. he works great when you get him on the track he will work his tail off for me .
    thanks ahead of time.

7. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

thanks to those who responded im gonna go with a regualr 2 inch :)

8. well as much as i hated padded colars this might be one case where i would recomend one since it might help with him cutting his neck.but i have a questione for you did you try the 2'' seatbelt type collar,and was the collar properly fitted?if so then i guess i would go with a padded colar and see if that helped.it more than likely wont stop the dog from cutting it's self but it will lessen the severitey of the cuts quite a bit.but it really does sound to me like the collar was to tight and thats why he cut himself,i have seen a few cases of this before and the culprit was usually a colar that was to tight.

9. We have a girl that is really rough on her chain....NONSTOP! We ended up having to get her a padded collar...(it was only $10.00) It has been the greatest thing ever! Her neck is healing up, it doesn't bother her anymore. I think from now on we will continue to use a padded collar on her! We loveit...washing it isn't so bad!

10. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

The overlapping style seatbelt collar will help with neck wear. The holes are covered up and reduces friction on the neck. G. Hammonds uses this style of collar and I beleive he invented it. I get mine from the shows and havent had a problem yet. I have gone thru 2-3 diff styles of collar and this is the best BY FAR.

Padded sucks for outside unless you live in a DRY climate.

YIS

11. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Well, I know folks wont agree with what I am about to say, but...

I have had this problem and got a double thick leather collar and solved the problem. Most say leather will not hold up, or that it stretches, but these double thick leathers I get last and do not stretch! I have one that is 10 years old and you cant tell it by looking at it, it just looks broke in. I will clean them about every three months and apply mink oil to them, they last longer than the duracell bunny!!LOL The leather does not cut like nylon will.

J
    <><