1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

fleas?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Mr. Brownstone, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

So i did a bunch of research and ended up using Happy Jack shampoo for dogs with problem skin, i then used Happy Jack Kennel Dip 2 to treat fleas mites mange and ticks.

I then went on to use the Happy jack Kennel Dip 2 in a pump sprayer diluted as the directions say to treat my yard in a pump sprayer. Well after 1.5 hrs and only getting a tiny part of my yard done i am thinking there has got to be a better way? I found this other stuff Seven Dust and it is a Dust/powder. I also wonder if you can get a company to just do it for you, reason i ask this is the guys i had come do my house today said they do not do the yard further than 3 ft from the foundation? I also found stuff you hook up to the hose but its $25 a bottle and i can not imagine it goes to far?

What do others do when they are in need of treating the whole yard?

2. Gxkon

Gxkon Big Dog

pay someone to do it

3. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

4. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Yeah i figured pay someone to do it.. gonna have to look into it further in the am. Like i said the guy company that does my lawn chem also does bugs but he would only go out three ft from the foundation. I use frontline on one of my dogs and used to use it on both but one is has had some massive skin allergy problem for the last six months. We switched for the last two months to a topical flea, and heart worm med it was just like frontline but does not kill the fleas if they are already on the dog. I forget the name but anyway i think the last time i put it on him he had a reaction as he was almost all better and within 12 hrs he was a mess again.

Anyone know if you how well the Happy Jack works if you just spray em down with it every 3-4 weeks, it says on the bottle you can but i kinda doubt it really works as well as frontline or advantix?

5. simpson

simpson Big Dog

We've been using advatage and frontline in rotation from spring to late fall and have'nt had a flea for years. If the dog is borderline on the weight/dosage we use the heavier dose. Also, we do the heart guard or interceptor till the temps drop below 60 degrees steadily.:)

6. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Yeah i do the whole frontline Advantage thing and have yet yo see one single flea. I am just trying to take every precaution i can as i just cant figure out what he is allergic to!! Figure no point in treating the house if you dont treat the yard and dog also. Already payed to have the house done so i gotta get that yard done one way or another tomorrow!! I am more looking for what people with more than a few dogs do, like 20 and up as i am sure something has gotta work real well be kinda easy to do and not cost a fortune.

7. simpson

simpson Big Dog

I had 18 dogs here at one time. Every dog-house was sitting on cypress mulch (for bugs) and all the landscape was done in cypress. I also raked up shit-loads of pine needles and mixed them w/straw for thatch on ea. chainspot for erosion and bugs.

Also, check out the last paragraph here where the tar paper is mentioned for repelling insects. Never tried it but it sounds like a winner. http://www.riospitbull.com/new_page_12.htm

8. Another thing you can do is go to your local horse/cow feed dealer, and ask him to order you a bag of food grade diocumateous earth (most often called DE). Make sure it is the food grade stuff.

Then get a seed spreader that you would use to spread grass seed, and spread it across your lawn. DE has microscopic sharp edges that will penetrate the shell of insects, and basically they dehydrate to death, as their body fluid all leaks out. DE is harmless to furry critters and birds, but deadly to insects and spiders.

We use it around our dog areas, in all of our chicken/duck/turkey coops (it also kills mites), and sprinkle it liberally along the barn floors to keep down the fly population. Yes, your lawn will 'puff' for awhile when you or your dogs walk through it, but in a very short amount of time you will be flea free.

That said, I still use Frontline Plus on all of my dogs and cats, but one of the reasons I am doubly cautious is because I am seriously allergic to fleas, and break out in horrible, huge red welts, so I want to be 100% sure that there are NO fleas on my dogs or in my house.

I think that I live in the only household in the world where if we have fleas, I start scratching before the dogs do!

Therese

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

spray the yard with 10% permethrin, it does the trick

also give the termidor a shot, im sure padlock can tell you all about it!!! lol

10. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

This simple, get a wheel barrow along with cedar, take 2 big bag of cedars and the small bag of sevin dust i think 5lbs is the measurements. Then take a shovel and mix the crap out of this, then fill each house. After that got to every inch of the yard with sevin dust and then spray the yard lightly just enough to keep the dust stuck to the ground or do it late in the evening once the dew has arrived. Make sure to grab a bottle of tree and shrub made bayer, blue bottle and then go to each dog instead of spending money on front line same thing, treat each dog. Wal lah, your yard will be bug free from not only fleas, ticks, pretty much anything on the ground. Used this same technique for years, can't even remember when I ever had fleas on my yard, I don't think we ever have. This works like a charm. PS, could hurt to dust the dogs take two old socks and put one in another, where a mask and go around knocking the dogs once a week with it, it is a sock animal rights people or use a powder yard shaker, it is like a overgrown salt shaker.

11. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Thanks guys! I gotta go look for big bags of seven dust or that diocumateous earth stuff.. as i am not about to spend 8 hrs with a pump sprayer and permethrin!!!

12. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Yeah thats a good thing as Advantage is a better product overall but it does not get ticks...so you gotta use the Frontline!

13. simpson

simpson Big Dog

I used the advantix in the rotation when we had more dogs. Only have 3 now so grooming is e-z peasy and I just pick the little fuck'n blood suckers off after a trip to the woods LOL!

14. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

If you are spending money on any of that stuff (frontline / advantage) throwing good money out the window. Check the active ingredients in frontline and then write it down then go to wal mart look on the bottle of tree and shrub, same stuff to a T. No different, who do think front line gets it from??? Bayer. I have friends who make the stuff for Bayer and it is the real deal, no different.

15. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I have head this other places before but how do you know if the concentrations are the same? And how do you know how to give the proper concentration and amount for a dog vrs a tree or shrub lol!!!

16. simpson

simpson Big Dog

Thanks! I'm gonna look into it and see if I'm slick enough to get the dosages correct!

17. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

I will post them when I get home, I have them written down there. The concentrations are different, you are correct but cali jack gave them to a while back, I am pretty sure they are in his pit bull bible (the full one)

18. try DE it should be the food grade.Diatomaceous Earth just had a bad flea problem it works. i even use it as a dewormer shit rocks.

19. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

A dewormer.. for real. I read about this stuff in my looking around before all the questions. I liked the sound of it but anything all natural makes me question how well it works and thats from a guy that does not eat processed food at all goes to a holistic doctor and runs every day.

I also didnt use it as i needed something quick in a pinch and could not find it anywhere local. I ended up using Seven Dust concentrate and spraying my whole yard. I see the link you posted and will get some and give it a go next spring. What i read said it has razor sharp edges and the bugs digest or get cut by it and dehydrate and die. How in the hell do you deworm a dog with that?

20. thts the draw back tht it takes few days but i put it in and on two bitches and the fleas started running to the back of both dogs cuz i forgot to put on tail...lol.