1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ear Cropping, how much?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by imprezivr6, Jun 20, 2005.

1. How much is average price of ear cropping? I am not looking for opinions on this as i know people have different opinions on this matter.

The 2 local places i called told me about $600, a friend told me he was paying around 1-200..

Dave

2. DEACON ROM

DEACON ROM Top Dog

oh..about 75 bucks round here , havent checked in about 6 yrs. good luck if you like that kind of thing.

3. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

in our area the prices range fro 140 to 450, so there can be a huge range in both price and quality of care

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

pit bull crops are $135 at our clinic regardless of whether it's a short, medium, or long crop

5. WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior Big Dog

I wish i could get prices like those. When i was checking into it the cheapest I could find was 300 and one place even told me 1000.

6. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Wow thats expensive!!! Here in Iowa at Iowa State College which is a BIG TIME VET school there is lots of "clinics" where students learn hands on stuff and in my naive days I was quoted 60$ bucks at the Iowa State Veterinary School clinic in Ames Iowa for being interested in doing it to a dog which I ended up leaving with natural ears. I just double checked since its been a long time and the price has jumped to 90$ bucks but this is still at this 1 place and I am sure if you shopped and compared you could get it even cheaper. Maybe its like most things based on ,location,location,location here it is considered an easy task and most people believe it or not do it themselves but in an "animal" town lots of knowledge spreads into the public just like in most farming type communities people are do it yourselfers and that may drive the demand and pricing depending on where you go?

7. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

The vets around here all range differently.The one I used was 87.50 up to 15 pounds.The first clinic I worked with she charged around 150-200,and a clinic close to the house here charges 250-300.

8. B

B CH Dog

Vets quote those sort of prices because they do not approve of the "cropping". They figure that if you are after it that bad they might as well take your money and do it right. They quote that high to scare people away from the practice. I couldn't agree with them more. There is no reason other than looks to crop a dogs ears.

B

9. WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior Big Dog

There tactics worked because there is know way that I was gona spend that much money and put my dog in danger. I lover her floppy ears anyway

10. I found one for 350.. I am going to bring him there..

Also my breeder said he never had the ears wrapped/taped after the crop, and the vet said he needs to have them wrapped for a few weeks..

Any input?

11. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

usually the apbt doesnt require the ears taped..because their ears are done shorter than say the Dobbies or Danes.. Instead of worrying about cheaper prices, I would be more worried about finding a vet that has done APBT ear croppings and can do them right.. not ultra short or ultra long.

Ask this vet to see pictures of their ear cropping work ( I know the vet I use has one) And also find out if they do laser or scapel (my vet does both..) While I only had one pup done, it was an incredable correctly done job that required no taping what so ever

12. badger

badger Big Dog

i personally just had my dogs ears cropped and regret it, dont get me wrong i like cropped ears and natural ears. the second i picked my dog up from the vet i felt like a superficial butthole! my dog wasnt really bothered by it, i felt it was just a selfish act. that is just me personally this is a free country and people should do what they want with the ears.i would just think about and see if that is what you really want to do, not get hyped up on an impulse.

13. tjpitbull

tjpitbull Big Dog

Same here thats the way i feel .......JUST THINK ABOUT IT ONCE ITS DONE YOU CAHT UNDO WHAT YOU HAVE DONE>>>>>>

14. I know i have been thinking about it all week.. My problem is he is 12 weeks old this saturday, and they say it needs to be done at 12weeks the latest.. I am not sure what i want to do, i know it sounds superficial but i dont want a goofy looking dog with big floppy ears..

The vet is a major vet.. They do scapel i already asked that.. They told me to bring in some photos of what i want, i just want it a pretty short crop..

If any one knows a good place in Az i am all good..

15. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Most vets will do it after 12 weeks....some up to 6-7 months. So wait it out, dont make a quick decision you will regret. I wouldn't worry about having a goofy lookin dog with big ears, I think everybody has one and those are the dogs with the most PERSONALITY!

16. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

my dog had big goofy ears as a pup, but he grew into them. dont forget your pups head will grow and his ears may end up looking fine as an adult.

17. Thanks everyone! I have decided against it, as i really dont have the heart to put him through that.. It was i just couldnt picture him with a big ole head and floppy ears, most of the pics i see now adays have cropped ears..

Any way here is a pic of OX.

Dave

Attached Files:

18. badger

badger Big Dog

cute lil sucker!

19. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

$200 here in central florida..but over 400 at most places around here. it all depends because most vet offices do a blood test first, and that's what makes the difference!

20. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

Cute pup, you made a good choice, he's got cute ears!