1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dont pay it if you're afraid to cull it

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by gameexchange, Oct 23, 2009.

1. gameexchange

gameexchange Big Dog

I was talking to a guy awhile ago and the subject of conversation kinda bothered me so i'll express if here and see if anyone else agrees. Alot of time ,more so than not, the working man will put aside his dollars to buy a dog or pup from a reputable breeder. The average price can be from 800 into the 1000s. I heard a guy tell me after purchasing a pup, from a breeder we all know, that however this dog turns out he's still gonna breed it. I had to look at him crazy. His reasoning was "I paid $1000 for this pup and I dont have that kind of money to throw away." No one can virtually guarantee you a pup will turn out good or what you want it to be so dont pay what you may have to lose because at the end of the day no one wants to throw away money no matter the cost but its part of this walk we do. My solution is dont pay what you may have to cull out of your program. I wouldnt want to lose $1000 either but if i spend it i know there may be a chance it turned out to be a bad investment. In turn this is how good breeders/well known breeders get bad names because the straw one guy got didnt work out and he still bred the damn dog and got mad when he realizes that the spark he wanted didnt skip a generation in his dog and went to the offspring of his dog but the reality was the dog just didnt have it to begin and should have never been bred.

2. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I have always guaranteed every pup or dog that I have ever bred. My only stipulation was that they brought it back to me in good health. Prices ranged from $500-$750. Once they brought it back, they could pick something else out from a breeding I have on the ground or coming up.

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Thats why your buddy should have spent his money more wisely, Pups, are most times than not, alot of money to raise up to 18 - 24 months on top of what you pay for one, If he was smart he would have just bought a prospect thats already been introduced. Saves time, money and and alot of leg work as well as not having to find out the hard way his pup don't work out. JMO

4. AGK

I always wished I would have picked up one of those paz jr x key pups from you, J.R was a beast

5. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

lol, As long as i have been in the dogs. I never really did that many breedings. The ones I did do I thought were insane! I have only had about 3 or 4 brought back for the guarantee I put on them. I think it was because most people don't test as hard as I do and the competition they went into was weak. Also, people get attached to easily. So when it's time to cull, they can't do it. People don't like to admit their dogs a cur. I for one could care less. I can call a spade a spade.

6. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

That is what happens when you breed 2 Champions together!:D

7. gameexchange

gameexchange Big Dog

i totally agree with the guarantee i do the same and have not made many breedings either. I also agree that he should have brought something that was already looked at. Im on you guys side and I totally to the 10th power agree about people get too attached too fast. I for one dont get attached until im shown something. Thats in life too. The only thing i've got attached to the instance we were introduced was my beautiful daughter. Im very careful who i call my friend and extra careful about who i let around my child. So i agree with all posts made so far.

8. preme

preme CH Dog

i like your thought process:cool:

9. AGK

Do you have any pics from back in the day like of Curly, abby, key, shorty or any of paz jr?

10. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

okay but i will chime in on this conversation,, Okay it does still have the blood to do the work in it,,just because it doesnt work in one doesnt mean its offspring will be off either. they arent all on fire ,, on some it can be brought out if you know what your doin. but most dont,, you might get one crazy (on) dog out of a litter,, the rest can be made that way its just always one that doesnt have to even try.. but thats the deal with bbreedings is you really need to keep tham all and figure out exactly what you have,,, some dogs have it some dont:rolleyes:

11. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Thats what I was thinking. Hell you can buy a dog with rank for 1,000 in todays market. I dont understand folks.

12. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Don't ever let the pedigree fool you. I think that I have had such good luck because of who I've gotten my dogs from. They sell or give me what they use themselfs.

13. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I just recently moved but I do have a few pics. Some got ruined over the years. I am still looking for some other ones I had. I wish they invented digital cameras when I was in my dogman prime!

14. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i have talked to an old dogman. and said the worst thing that dog men ever did was cull by killing he said they should have spayed or neutered and given the dogs to responsible homes. that way you would have a population of gamedogs with regular folk and a lot of these bullshit rumors would not be circulating and bsl would not stand a chance. i can tell you right now that i do not think i could cull by killing that is why i would never own more than a few dogs and spay the culls and let them die of old age. but you can bet your ass they would never get bred no matter what i paid

15. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Not sure i agree with the first bit of your post boze but its easy to say yeah cull cull cull the rubbish keep the rest,a damn site harder when it comes to doin it and if possible that is what i would do.spay or neuter and put in a pet home.only thing is this aint always possible or appropriate so you have to cull.is never nice though

16. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Have any of you had a good look at the ''pet homes'' out there? I have, and I can say, culling is the better choice if you don't want to house the dog yourself. :rolleyes:

17. RR3000

RR3000 Big Dog

It's up to the owner of the dog and what their standards are.Prospects don't always turn out either.Maybe in the future you should ask if things don't go well,will the breeder be willing to let you get something else at a fair or even free.And as far as using the dog now as a pet may or may not be such a good idea nowadays anyway being that it did not workout because it still might certain traits that may still be there ..JMO

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
  18. I sold pups "as is". If they wanted a guarantee, then they would have to buy a grown proven dog. Of course they were much more. After a while I rarely sold pups. I usually gave them away to people I knew - who would school them correctly - all the while retaining the rights to breed them.

I have my own personal opinion about people who sell pups but like they used to say, "You are either a fighter or a breeder. You cannot be both." For the longest time I didn't agree with that statement but after having been in the game for a while, I started to understand why. Breeding takes quite a bit of time and patience. The "game" takes a whole different set of time and patience.

19. I completly agree. I've trued to be both at a young age, and it didn't work well at all. On a different note, does any one know of ANY good breeders out in the phx area? I have a good girl from Mexico that about to be ready to mate.

20. Worst idea i have EVER read on-line, or heard period. And what happens when that cur decides to really get it on and kill the neighbors pet because these pet owners think they have a pet, not a bulldog.

Again, WORST thing EVER to do is give a cur out as a pet.

Now, spaying/neutering a cold dog and giving it to a pet home seems like a less dangerous idea, but you've got to be a fuc*kin idiot if you're going to fix and place a cur with a pet owner after it's seen some time on the carpet. Only a matter of time before that mutt decides it wants to play again, this time with an unsuspecting pet.