1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MAXIM, May 2, 2007.

1. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

Have any suggestions for training a puppy leash manners? he does "OK" being walked w/ leash attached to his collar, but if i attach the leash to his harness he's all over the place.....What to do?

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Don't use the harness? I use different collars for different expected behaviors. And if I put a wide collar or harness on my dog, she knows its goof-off time. The harness is for comfort moreso than control. I personally don't introduce a harness until after a dog has learned manners walking on a regular or training collar.

3. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

U know, thats what i thought...cause when i 1st got him the harness, i thought it would be better so he wont be hurting if he pulls hard w/ just the collar on.....but w/ just collar on now, ive noticed he does much better, he pulls less, and is not all over the place like he is with the harness on...he's actually been walking in a straight line, but still pulls a little! what can i do so he would completely walk beside me?

4. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

Is that your dog in the pic? I wouldn't expect him to walk right beside me, he's just a baby. Put a normal flat collar on him, a leash with a small clip so it doesn't whack him in the face and walk. If he starts to spin around you, gently pull him back to your side. I am working with my GSD pup right now to stay on my left. He's about 18 weeks old. He spins and zigzags all over the place. I just 'ah ah' him when he veers off and pull him (gently) back to my left and praise. He's getting it. Theres no word for it, just stay to the left side of me and I'm happy.

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

It takes a lot of time and practice to get a dog to walk directly by your side. Ask anyone shooting for an obedience title. :) I wouldn't expect it of a puppy.

6. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

it takes a long long walk.once they are tired thats when the training starts..when you first leave the house the are over excited and hard to make a point to them..keep the leash short and to your side..

7. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

He's a pup. While I wouldn't expect much out of him at the moment, training can begin now.

I've always started off on the "watch" command, and I have found that it creates an attentive dog who wants to keep his attention on you. This will take several months, however.

The best method I have found (Best for the dog, you look ridiculous :) ) to prevent pulling on-lead is the "Stop-n-Go" method. If the dog is pulling you foward, do not go anywhere. The moment he looks back at you and stops, praise him and walk foward. Keep the lead short and him by your side. This will also take several months.

As far as harnesses, I only use them during roadwork and when I want the dog to keep the leash taunt.

8. MAXIM

MAXIM Big Dog

OK so, yesterday after work we played a little outside w/ the rope & frisbee...then took him for a walk, prolly like a mile long walk cause we live near a long stretch local hwy, and i adjusted the leashe so it wouldnt be too long...And what do u know, he was walking beside me on the left the whole time!!!!!! and if he tried to walk faster, i pulled the leashe gently to correct him & he slowed right up again...Its a huge step, im very happy...Thank u!