1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

DNA testing

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dunlap, Jun 3, 2007.

1. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Have any of you used the DNA testing for a litter with two different sires?

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

No, the only litter I've ever bred has possibly two sires. I'm 99% sure I know which is which, but a DNA test would make it 100%. Since I do not plan on selling any, it's not worth my time or money to do so right now. In a few years when I decide what will be sticking around, I'll DNA then. Until then, I prefer not to know to avoid favortism. Let me explain:

One sire is an outstanding performer. The other is merely an average performer, but bred extremely well where the pedigrees differ (the sires are 1/2 brothers). I highly favor the breeding to the performer, but understand the other has it's purpose as well. All will be subject to the exact same evaluations. If the "better" bred dogs don't perform quite as well, I may be subject to make excuses because they are bred so well on paper. This is contradictory to what we breed for, and I just assume remove all possibility of that happening until we NEED to know which is off which.

99% sure, but that 1% keeps me from doing something stupid :p