1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Collars..... (Help)

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by pitbull-kid, Oct 28, 2005.

1. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

There is no need to wrap the chain around your dogs neck & padlock it. I've seen all breeds of dogs & dogs of every size & strength within those breeds. I seriously doubt your dog is sooo much above every other dog on this planet that it can break every collar out there.

You are setting your dog up for a very uncomfortable living. Why? Those chains pinch the neck, regardless of the "2 finger" rule. They rub the fur off until the area is bald & will then continue rubbing till your dog has massive oozing sores. It adds more weight to the dogs neck that it does not need (no it won't make him bigger & stronger). And in most cases, this practice is done more for the owner's idea of 'looking cool" than anything else.

Invest in a good quality collar. Show your dog the love & repsect he deserves.

2. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

jefferspets.com sell 2" collars that are double ply

3. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

either one should be good

4. searkkennels

searkkennels Big Dog

for security reasons, people use chains locked around their neck, so their dogs won't get stolen as easily. i used to use them all the time. but you have to use them like i posted above through a swivel with an innertube over the smaller chain through the swivel. will not pinch or make ur dog loose its hair.

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I understand the padlock aspect, but you are also mentioning the correct way to do the set up.

6. G.K.

G.K. Pup

7. jmg

jmg Big Dog

not the best idea to use the cahin it can twist up and it will hurt a dog that hits the end of his chain. the padded colar is for a dog that hits the end of its chain or pulls its lead and prevents eome damage to the dogs neck on impact or under continuous strain. leather collars dont do well outside i would recommend nylon for tie outs since it wears better with dirt and moisture. is you dog tied out or is it an inside dog???

8. JC-Pitbulls

JC-Pitbulls Top Dog

I got a collar from Stillwater,I am completely satisfied with it, I will be getting some more real soon.Good quality, and very fast service.

9. Will Power

Will Power Big Dog

Go to DixiesDogs They are good people and have nice collars and well priced.

10. 440rider

440rider Guest

if someone wanted to steal a dog bad enough a chain around the neck and padlock wont stop them. Bring along some chain cutters and leave with a dogs and a chain set up. Hurricane collars are the nicest I've come across bit pricy at $30...sportingdogcollars are nice as well for an upper end collar I have a few ordered from them $16.99...I really like the collars from amwk..solid product similar to hurricane ! Stillwater has the best prices I have seen and great collars for the $!

11. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

That's exactly what I was thinking . . .

If you're worried about your dog being stolen, put it indoors.

12. searkkennels

searkkennels Big Dog

man there is no way to avoid stealing your dogs,all i was saying is that is the safest way to keep your dogs from getting stolen. putting them ALL inside is not an option. i mean when you have more than 2 dogs it gets very hard especially 30 something.

13. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

indeed . . . in this case, leave the dogs outside, and put the stealer inside, lol . . .

14. WWII

WWII Banned

Is there that much of a difference between 1.5 & 2 inch collars? I've been debating whether or not to get either the 1.5 or 2in. My dog is still a pup and weighs roughly 50ish pounds.

15. PitDawg

PitDawg Big Dog

I got a nice sturdy collar from acmekennel.com. It has rivets holing it together instead of stitching. It is soft leather, so it doesn't rub much, and it's very thick and strong. I know several people with these collars, who have had them on dogs for 10 years or more,and they always look like new. The 2" leather collar also can come with brass or nickel hardware. They are only about $18 too.

16. PitDawg

PitDawg Big Dog

Are those harnesses on Hurricane collars really $280? Or is that how they write $28 in Sweden or wherever he's at?
    I have a plain black collar like the one at the top on bulldogsupplycompany.com It is a good collar, but it frays at the edges and I have gone thru 3 of them in about 5 years. I have had my leather one from Acmekennel.com for about 6 years, and it looks like the day I got it.

17. PitDawg

PitDawg Big Dog

I have heard nothing but good things about sportingcollars.

18. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

When ya'll get tired of paying double or triple the price try these out.
    Better material and hardware, at half the price.

I do leather also, but have a month waiting list, on harnesses and collars, cause they are the best you can get and half the price of everybody elses.

I only use 200lb thread and 1700psi(tensile strength) webbing.Thats per 1" square so the 2" is around 3400psi tensile strength.

http://www.stillwaterkennels.com/dogcollers.htm