1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Animal Planet

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 14rock, Jul 6, 2006.

1. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Did anyone catch the show on protection training on the Animal Planet channel? It deals with the Military Service Dog program, and was intresting as an uneducated viewer to watch. I thought their was some good general working-dog info lodged in their, and I couldnt help but think how their mentality is very similar to people with hunting APBT's. For example, proper handling, and an excite bite is not an aggressive tactic. If you mess up handling wise, you are liable to be bitten on accident. Also, that not all canines are strictly pets, and these working dogs love their job, and are not suitable to sit on a couch all day doing nothing. I dont know much about protection training, drug dog sniffing, or bomb dog searches.....and dont particularly care to do too much studying on it, my intrest in the show was purely how much I related to these folks about MANY issues and attitudes. They discuss proper nutrition for working dogs a bit, proper care, experienced handling and ultimately, the need to cull animals that dont make the grade. Very intresting show, and if anyone has the chance to catch it, I really recommend it....although again, I do not know how accurate the training techniques are, as I've never trained a dog for personal protection/drug/bomb/injured person searches.

2. paranoia

paranoia Pup

I don't watch animal planet. to peta like for me [​IMG]

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Me also for the most part, but my remote is broken and I fell asleep the night before watching that animal cops show because I seen they were busting an alleged cock-fighter and wanted to see the outcome. LOL chalk it up to a rare coincidence based on my laziness.

4. paranoia

paranoia Pup

My ex used to watch AP all the time drove me nutz [​IMG]

5. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I would have loved to have seen that! was it a special or a new series? I'll try to look it up on the ol Tivo. What's it called? You know I just can't get enough of that crap!

6. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

LMAO!!! Where you get that shit??? lol!

7. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

i used to watch the show alot but got sick of the propaganda. yet, they do have some interesting and informative shows.

"For example, proper handling, and an excite bite is not an aggressive tactic. If you mess up handling wise, you are liable to be bitten on accident. Also, that not all canines are strictly pets, and these working dogs love their job, and are not suitable to sit on a couch all day doing nothing."

"They discuss proper nutrition for working dogs a bit, proper care, experienced handling and ultimately, the need to cull animals that dont make the grade."

hopefully this type of thinking catches on as much as their propaganda.

8. Yeah, i saw that show "K9 boot camp" i thought it was a pretty good show, great dogs, i'm a huge fan of shepherds, both GSD's and Malinois'.
    I think they work with great intensity and agression.

The show i think sucks dick is that "Breed all about it" show, glorifying show breeding as "responsible" and all that other crap. Everytime i see it on i feel like bricking my own television. "Sammy the Labrador looks like a Labrador, therefore he Must be able to work in the field all day, how could he not?!" it's pathetic to say the least.

Jared

9. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

i caught it the other night, it was very good and informative, and i liked how if the dog didnt cut it as a workng dog they had the chance to be adopted to a home, i thought their info was very good , and it was great to see the dogs working and learning..and the handlers too, they were learning as they went, and when they took their tests the teachers corrected them when the handlers did somethingwrong with the dogs.. some times animal planet has good stuff on, they had another show with working dogs with a contest for the working dogs on obedience, tracking, and drug detection, it was a bunch of cops and dogs from all over competing.. some of their stuff is really good, and other stuff isnt..

10. paranoia

paranoia Pup

[​IMG]I got it from the smilie page[​IMG]

11. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

i seen one military dog training show on there, where they were getten the dogs temps up to like 106 degrees, and making them super sick, and one got temp blindness from getten to hot.

12. Luke.UK

Luke.UK Big Dog

talking about military trained dogs i`ll bet russian anti tank dogs got hotter!LOL.

13. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Thats the show Bam-bams mom ;) A few dogs suffered from heat stroke.

14. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

14 -

All of my dog training experiences through trial and error have taken me across the paths of these folks. And they view their dogs as working dogs, just like we view the APBT as a working dog. So you are so very correct when you state the attitudes and methodologies are very similar to the way we see and interact with the working APBT. It is very interesting isn't it? Just a different breed with a different job!!!

15. 14Rock, I saw both the shows you mentioned K-9 bootcamp (I think was the name) and the Animal Cop show where they raided a game cock "ring" and they included a yard of APBT thought to be used for game purposes.

I liked the k-9 show merely because I enjoy learning dog material. One thing that stood out in my mind was the fact that "rejected" dogs were killed if they were not aggressive enough against humans (and they say our breed's culling practices are senseless). Luckily for those timid dogs, they have created an adoption program for them. Another thing that stood out is the fact that all puppies from this breeding program are placed in regular homes with regular people until around >1 year of age.

In regarding to the Animal Cop show (this time was in Miami), I found myself correcting the damn want-to-be cops (one in particular....err, actually, this one was a real Sergent). All the talk about how inhumane game dog owners are and how little aftercare dogs received, etc. He even showed a stapler and stated, (paraphrased) "these guys basically staple the skin and let the dog heal on its own" BS, there is a daily procedure any respectable Dogmen/Women will follow in order to heal their athlete. In another scene, two of these "cops" came to a yard to find two puppies (looked Staffie to me) and the Dam and Sire. Neither one had any marks of fighting or aggressive behavior. The owner was fined (according to him) around $3,500 for having "this" breed in the city. When the owner was asked why he lied, he stated, "well, I don't want you to kill my dogs" (you could hear the Sergent in the background trying ssssh him). Yes, the fact is that if a dog was able to choose between doing what he was bred to do and being killed merely because of his breeding, it would choose to live (regardless).

Here is some advise for all of you. If you ever encounter one of these animal cops on your front door, you DO NOT have to let them into your home or property UNLESS they have a WARRANT. The guy that was fined should have not allowed these guys into his house (where they found four more puppies). Be advise that no one, including a true police officer can come into your home without YOUR permission or permission of a COURT. Remember that.

16. Luke.UK

Luke.UK Big Dog

Here is some advise for all of you. If you ever encounter one of these animal cops on your front door, you DO NOT have to let them into your home or property UNLESS they have a WARRANT. The guy that was fined should have not allowed these guys into his house (where they found four more puppies). Be advise that no one, including a true police officer can come into your home without YOUR permission or permission of a COURT. Remember that.[/QUOTE]

Not too sure about this friend,ialways thought the police could enter if they belive a crime is in progress or they`ve seen a suspect just run in?
    I agree they do need a warrant for a search,just a bit unsure.:)

17. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

I actually saw K9 Bootcamp last night because the Gremlin asked if she could stay up to watch it, so I sat with her. Of course she picked up on the part where they mention taking the puppies from the kennels to be raised by local families and the interview with the 10 year old little boy who was a dog walker and said that he is the dog's kindgergarten and first grade teacher.

It was a pretty good show, they had a few more on later where they went through different phases of training with the dogs, so I watched them after she went to bed.

Most people don't realize that working dogs aren't the same as pets. For some reason, they can't understand it.

In the later segment I watched, I liked how they were using older seasoned dogs to help train the newbie handlers. Some of the dogs were 9 & 10 years old.

18. Yes, the only way they are allowed to come in without a warrant is if they are in active pursuit. If they could come in whenever they "felt" a crime was in progress, what would be the point of getting warrants? They have to get a warrant in order to gain access to private property. They cannot even take your dog without a warrant (this may differ by States). For example, I was walking my dog on a leash when another unleashed dog confronted mine. This all happened in a public area. Well, after being able to remove my dog from the unconscious one (This was prior to me owning breaking sticks....it was a long time ago), I waited about 1 hour for the cops to arrive (I knew my rights and was not concerned). Once they did come, they wanted me to hand over my dog. I said heck no, well I actually said, "with all due respect but I will not hand over my property". After several of them pressed me to hand him over, I still refused. To shorten the story, they wrote my personal information and left me and my dog alone. They needed a warrant to seize my "property". Now, if my dog had bitten a human, maybe that would have changed my "rights".

Regards,

RH

19. Suki

Suki Guest

I will add to the previous post.

IF a cop is "allowed" in by you and happens to "see" something suspicious in your home, whether that's the reason they initially came or not, since the "suspicious" item is considered to be in "plain view" authorities will believe the visible item to be "probable cause" and CAN search your home. They do not need a warrant for that. So I suggest if anything is left out that you don't want "noticed", hide it (them) and do not give any officer ANY reason based on probable cause, to search your residence, which could result in a seizure.

I mention this being a law enforcement major, and from experience.
    Do NOT open your door, until you know, "the coast is clear".

20. NC

NC CH Dog

Yep.. I've got a few inmates here at the facility where I work that are in for things very similar to that. I wouldn't let anyone with a badge in without prior notice or a warrant.