1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

1st lesson learned on how to build a bloodline.

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by ziggy311, Jan 28, 2015.

1. c_note

c_note CH Dog

He never said pups. He said dogs. If you had 2 good females and a good male, isn't that 3? Breed male to gyp A, go through the pups. Keep the best. Breed male to gyp B, do the same thing as A. Breed pups, as grown dogs that made grade, back to parents or dog from the other litter. Ain't that the same thing everybody is sayin? Ziggy is unique in his expression and ppl do kinda jump him for that. What he's saying tho, is the same thing EVERYBODY preaches, family or line breeding. He may have left out some details and could have given a better description. He ain't wrong tho. Just misunderstood like the kid that ate his/her boogers... Play with him, just don't touch his hands lol..

Smoke42084 likes this.
  2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Lmao, well I'll be. Your definitly correct. I read it wrong. That makes a lit more sense. That last sentence had me rollin. :lol:

3. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Very good C. At least somebody has vision to see past preconceived thoughts and feelings.

4. c_note

c_note CH Dog

Yea AGK. I know from personal experience. My daughter will be 2 Feb 6 and she's a booger eater. She'll do the cutest thing, then when you turn around that finger is comin out that nose goin straight to mouth lol. I gotta be quick!!

5. c_note

c_note CH Dog

I'm in a similar situation so I know exactly what he's sayin. I live in the city and there is a 4 dog per yard limit. I can keep one in the house to make five. My bitch keeps it up, stud to her, keep the best pups. Next breed her to my male, keep the best. Then find some more damn space lol

6. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

I've just moved outside of the city limits, so my amount of space has doubled.

7. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

Agree, that's why I said what I said. Good post AGK

8. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

Ok thanks for putting it in to words I understand. Ok Ziggy understand good luck.

9. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Well me personally I feel that if you plan on "building a bloodline" your first act should be to find you a couple acres in an area you can do what you want and have as many hounds as you can care for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. c_note

c_note CH Dog

Exactly. That or just keep working stock or pets. Breeding and maintaining anything serious in the city will take several yards and dedicated folks.

11. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

I totally agree if someone has fire why spend time rubbing sticks together Gardner Who I think 'little of' bought some top stock and has pretty good now d

12. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I don't see that there are any deep, dark secrets to it. Begin with selectivity and keep going with selectivity. It's not fanciful.

I went through quality control with the dogs I gained early on until I settled on the best I thought I could have. Only takes a few, and it doesn't take that long, either. Selectivity creates your beginning. Selectivity is how you keep the quality ongoing. It's that simple.

Smoke42084 likes this.
  13. nittpittx

nittpittx Pup

Prudence is not very common. Practicality and Realism only happens in 3% of people.

14. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

It's just me nor the person that started me out that used 3 dogs to start or base a family on. Bert Sorrell's used Red Jerry, Bull & Crazy Mary. You can read an ad on the Adba site that Heinzl used Tudor, Carver & Corvino . If you ever talk to a real old head @ this or read an old book like one by Richard Stratton most will say all you need is 1 good bred bitch.
    You can take any bitch really & pay a stud fee to breed her to 2 grand Champs if you want & never have to leave your yard. Just take pup from her & grand ch1-Grand ch2 & back & forth.
    You don't have to have a grand ch or even a champ to produce great dogs. Bolio, Blind Billy & Frisco or just a few 1xw's to produce great dogs & great families.
    The tittle was about building & starting line.
    It was to help those just a little more save time, space & money.
    I just try use myself & my own experiences as more of a visual aid then old stories about but everything I say or have done can be proven what others more famous than I have done in the past

Smoke42084 likes this.
  15. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

My own personal experience was just as anyone else's.
    3 families. Line bred into 1 & then restart the process. Simple 1 step http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=133271 , another http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=378432 . After Gotten max then find weakness & strengths , add Families consistent with what you need. http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=456182 .
    1st step Hicks, Sorrell's, & Browns Alligator. Combine into 1. Next was Hicks , Carter's, and Peotic Justices .
    Less is always more when it comes to breeding. The least amount used the more you can recconize traits earlier in the program.

16. boilermaker123

boilermaker123 Big Dog

Everyone on here has all made some valid points...that being said I've had these dogs since 1985 not that means anything because some can have these dogs forever and not know crap..lol some people you can't tell them anything...some are too impatient and some are too hard headed...way too many factors Play into starting a family but I will try to cover most of them I can and forgive me if I forget a thing or two as I have forgotten a lot of things about these dogs as much as I have learned ...old age creeping up on me and all..lol.. first off you have got to have a facility or good yard set up for the dogs...money is the real issue you can't do these dogs on a budget. .you can but your bloodline will suffer for it..depending on money depends on how many dogs you can keep and raise...if only keeping 3 dogs ...keep 3 brood gyps...a game,well bred brood gyp is worth her weight in gold!!! You can always breed to the latest stud out there..and don't breed to the gr.ch. stud..breed to the dog that produced him if at all possible.!!! You want to breed to the dog that is prodicing the winning dogs.. because usually it's too early in a retired ch. or gr.ch.life to know if he will produce yet or not that takes years to find out you are better off being safe and breeding to the dog that produced him rather than taking a chance on an unproven stud..if you have the money and time keep the whole litter.. every one! ! Test every one and cull the dogs hard..be patient with them and don't rush them but when it's time be extremely and I mean EXTREMELY hard on the dogs and only keep and breed best to best....remember you are building a family. Same as building a home or a building and it will only be as string as the cornerstone of the foundation

Smoke42084 likes this.
  17. boilermaker123

boilermaker123 Big Dog

i got cut off..lol hit the reply by mistake....seems you cant say certain words on here ..when its time to test the dog be very selective dont be easy on the dog at all..okay now you need to select the bloodline you want to perpetuate..true breeders the greats planned breedings ahead of time 15 to 20 years ahead of time..select a bloodline you like and make sure its something you can get ahold of..and these great dogs make sure they are in first few generations...ive seen people say ive got a jeep dog..and look at the dogs pedigree and i see jeep 2 times in the pedigree once in 6th generation and once in the seventh...we have had direct sons and daughters off of ch. jeep so get the good dogs up front...id rather spend 10 grand on one phenomenal brood gyp bred to to the hilt..then to buy 3 or 4 average brood gyps not bred as good..remember a family is only as good as the cornerstone you build it apon..study the old bloodlines,,,,lightner,the gas house line, tudor line,bob wallace line, bob hemphill line,carver, boudreaux...see how they bred thier dogs and what worked go to the weight pulls and see what is working and what is not talk to other people and breeders who have similar blood..you will choose a bloodline you like and start from there...it takes years and a special person to take another mans family of dogs improve upon it and once it stands the test of time and you have actually made that family better ONLY THEN can you make that line your own...if you would only study the great breeders over the years all the old timers nobody would be asking anything..for example dont sell your dogs better off if you cant keep the whole litter and test every one..then you farm them out to other honest dog men...oh good luck finding some..lol why do you think carver did this and tudor and bobby hall especially..why? insurance policy in case you ever get raided or dog thiefs or disease or an ex wife...you have dogs farmed out to many different people a simple case of dont put all your eggs in one basket...takes years to build a yard and one bad tragedy to destroy a lifes work.. also keep meticulous records of all your breedings and keep track of all your dogs and progress..breed best to best and certain bloodlines like to be bred a certain way..trial and error is hard way try to research dilligently and see on paper what seems to click...keep your brood stock pure and outcross for your battle dogs ..carver, tudor,boudreaux all the greats started out with another mans family of dogs only when they improved apon that line and it stood the test of time only then could they make it their own..i understand if you have to sell a few pups to pay for dog food and all but try to farm all the dogs you cant keep to dog men who will weight pull them thats how you make a name for your bloodline..this used to be about the preservation of the game dog so future generations of people will know and be able to understand and enjoy just how special these dogs are...too many people bickering and backstabbing each other..i dont down any mans dogs or bloodlines because most people dont understand these are all the same dogs all these game dogs every single bloodline out there is all related...they all go back to our foundation dogs in the early days hundreds of years ago..."well i hate so and so blooodline they are all curs" ive heard it said they will all quit on the right day given right circumstances...hey its racism in a different form.. ive seen a few people get really angry and irate and hateful when talking about certain dogs and bloodlines...just as people are racist towards each other..what people fail to realize is that we were all created in gods own image..so if you are hating someone because of their skin color you are actually hating god...and dont you know we are all related just like all the dogs are? cause we all come down from adam and eve..then noah and his family after the flood..so we are all related somewhere down the line...dont get into this for the money cause you aint gonna make any! lol...its all about the game dogs and the preservation of the lines no matter how a dog is bred and what bloodline i respect a man if hes improving apon that family and eventually making it his own one day....thanks yall for letting me ramble on

Smoke42084 likes this.
  18. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

Correction. Heinzl =Colby, Corvino & Tudor.

19. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

Another Valid point but think you misunderstood original statement. "Not only keeping 3, but Use 3 get rid of of the rest to make room. Then rebuild yard based on that original 3. Big difference the just keeping 3. It doesn't matter how many you feed after you have established a bloodline. 3 dogs mixed in different ways are many of ways to how much of what dog fits your standards.
    A dog is just an ingredient . The amount of that dog & position it fits better in the bloodline is the recipe.
    75% Alligator on top.6.25% of Hicks on Bottom & 18% Sorrell's in the middle will give a whole different dog than 50% Sorrell's Top,25%/Alligator on Bottom & 25% Hicks in middle.
    Even though the exact same dogs can be used, the dogs & results will be different.
    "25%" is more than enough to give you a totally different dog using the same dogs in the breeding's.
    I only suggest what I learned in the 70's. Try everything before moving to the next thing.
    Sometimes everything you'll ever need has been right there the whole time.

Smoke42084 likes this.
  20. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

Great statement, great info !