+ Reply to Thread

Arrow Baby Hospitalized After Dog Attack (not "pit bulls")

Baby hospitalized after dog attack

Chloe Ann Cannon's grandmother ran out of this house holding Chloe who had been attacked by the dogs

Posted: 10/31/2005 10:44 pm
    Last Updated: 11/01/2005 09:51 am
    Story filed by NewsCenter16 Reporter
    Judi Lykowski

South Bend, IN - The South Bend Family Violence Unit is handling the case of a dog mauling after a 4-month-old baby girl was attacked in her grandmother's home.

The infant, Chloe Ann Cannon, is listed in stable condition after the attack around 4 PM Monday afternoon in the 1200 block of Miner Street.

According to family members, three dogs were looking into the baby's crib and when the grandmother went to pick up the infant, the dogs attacked.

Four-month-old Chloe Ann Cannon

Nicholas Roskuski, an eyewitness to the aftermath of the attack, says, "She looked like she saw a ghost and the child wasn't even screaming. It was just sitting there with this look on its face. I don't know it was all blue- it was not a good thing."

The animals belong to the baby's uncle, Wesley Cannon, who also lives at the residence.

"One minute they are looking at her and seeing what's going on and the next minute all hell breaks loose," said Wesley. "They were fighting each other and Chloe Ann got the brunt of it by accident."

Wesley says his family doesn't have a vehicle. Shortly after the attack, the grandmother set out on foot towards a nearby hospital.

Animal control removed several dogs and cats from the home

Authorities removed all three dogs and six cats that were in the home. They say the house was saturated with animal urine.

NewsCenter 16 spoke to the child's grandmother Monday night. She tells us her granddaughter has several puncture wounds to the head and neck and will be hospitalized for quite some time.

More news from South Bend, IN
    http://www.wndu.com/news/102005/news_45671.php

Default Re: Baby Hospitalized After Dog Attack (not "pit bulls")

Police search for cause of dog attack

Two of the dogs in the attack, (shown above) are shepherd-husky mixes; the third is a schnauzer mix

Posted: 11/01/2005 04:24 pm
    Last Updated: 11/01/2005 05:44 pm
    Story filed by NewsCenter16 Reporter
    Stephanie Stang

South Bend, IN - Four-month-old Chloe Ann Cannon is recovering after being attacked by dogs in her grandmother's home in South Bend on Monday. She is currently in fair condition at an area hospital.

Now police are trying to figure out what went wrong.

NewsCenter 16 spoke with neighbors on Tuesday. They say they've seen the dogs running around, but never thought they were violent. In fact, they spent most of their time inside of the home.

Unusual case
    At South Bend Animal Control, they are careful when handling stray dogs because they never know what could trigger a bite.

Animal Control Manager Gary Libbey says dog bites are fairly common, but Monday's case was unusual.

"An attack of this severity is very rare," says Libbey.

The dogs that attacked the baby are shepherd-husky mixes and a schnauzer mix, which aren't typically dangerous breeds. However, police say the three animals were looking into the baby's crib, and attacked when the grandmother went to pick up the four-month-old baby.

Police are left to try and figure out what triggered the attack.

"Obviously the dogs, or the baby can't let us know exactly what happened. So the police are still talking to people. Were the dogs provoked, instigated? Or, were they simply attacked?" asks Libbey.

At this point, Animal Control says with the dogs' history, they won't be up for adoption, which means they will either be euthanized or will return back to the home.

"If the people do wish to reclaim their own animals, obviously we will take what steps we need to take to block that because as it would appear right now, we would not be comfortable releasing these animals in the public, especially when the attack occurred in their own home," explains Libbey.

An accident?
    NewsCenter 16 spoke with the grandmother Monday night. She believes the attack was an accident, and the dogs didn't mean to hurt the baby.

http://www.wndu.com/news/112005/news_45683.php

accident hell

I was kind of weirded out that this story was on a forum...haha

Chloe is my god-daughter, her and her mom lived with me until she was 3 months old, and then we lost touch. It was when I heard she had been attacked that I saw her again in the hospital NICU.

I wanted to add that her Grandmother and the two sons that lived with her, on top of the dogs are all mentally challenged. The house was infested with diseases, and I begged her mother to never take her there.

I don't doubt for one second that they were yelling at chloe to shut up and the dogs attacked her, however she was not in her crib, she must've gotten out and somehow got on the living room floor?

She was attacked on the floor, not her crib. Also when this all happened, the words that came out of grandmas mouth were, "How are my dogs? you can't take my dogs!" To hell with the grandbaby. the family is nuts.

But Chloe is back with her mother after 2 years in foster care, she's going to be 5 this May and her mother has really shaped up and is taking wonderful care of her with her fiance and chloes two sisters in fort wayne.

First time at chuck e cheese, i can't wait!

good to hear that she survived,that little girl never needs to be around her grandmother,ever.

over here if its not pitbulls attacking they fail to give the type of dog it is..... 3 boxers killed a little boy about 6 months ago and in the newspaper they didnt even say what kind of dog it was.... and i can guarantee you what kind of dogs the general public thought they were

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    over here if its not pitbulls attacking they fail to give the type of dog it is..... 3 boxers killed a little boy about 6 months ago and in the newspaper they didnt even say what kind of dog it was.... and i can guarantee you what kind of dogs the general public thought they were
    maybe its better they didn't, because a lot of places label boxers as "pitbull types". Probably woulda just been tally'd as a pitbull bite.

Husky mixes aren't generally dangerous dogs? They're pretty high prey drive dogs, and I wonder what they where mixed with. Im suprised they said what kind of dogs they are also, here if its not a pit bull or doesn't look like one they don't say what breed it is.

of course when they're not 'pit bulls', they actually LOOK at the cause of the accident

kill the $#@!ers and file a lawsuit to the owners...

Quote Originally Posted by ganja View Post
    of course when they're not 'pit bulls', they actually LOOK at the cause of the accident

kill the $#@!ers and file a lawsuit to the owners...
    lol right and what if the dogs attacked the grandma anyone think of that and the baby just got caught in the cross fire ?? b/c apparently they were probably screaming at her ik my dog is very protective and gets worked up if ppl are shouting and if they move on me he goes into action just something to think about