+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How or what did we do different for this massive Artic Blast?????

Well where I am from this was very cold for us.Dangerous cold,we are just not use to this type of cold down here.I would like to hear from the men and woemen and let them tell how they delt with this and changes they made ?I think it may be a good topic for people to exchange ideas.Did u bring some dogs inside? I mean tell anything u did outside of your normal routine.

Default Re: How or what did we do different for this massive Artic Blast?????

Personally I brought 2 dogs inside at night.I also doubled all thier feed ,with the idea I could get more water down them..Fed all them once in the evening and once again early in the morning.I just mixed hot water ,dog food and a little bacon grease and mixed it up really good.I have always done the straw so that wasnt a issue..Also i had to chip ice ,lots of ice out of the water bowls which I dont normally do..But all in all the dogs did very well with what i did for the region I live in.Now I know some of you had it alot worse than me.And sometimes no matter what we do we still loose 1 here and there.But good luck to all and hope some warm weather comes your way soon.

I don't have alot to compare to since this is my first winter down here since getting back into the dogs. I am getting the dogs used to staying outside in the cold weather but the last couple nights have been too cold for me to leave them outside because of their age so they were inside. I've switched one dog over to hay to try to keep her warm but not irritated like the straw does to her. I give them homemade broth to keep em hydrated and warm and I make them a oatmeal/lard "slop" as well. They haven't been outside overnight below 32 yet but they have been outside all day even when it was in the teens and they've done fine so far.

...getting it hard were ya all are...i worked in a frozen food ware-house for a couple of years -30-40/etc..got used to it after a few weeks...but could not stand the wind factor in the ice-cream w-house....look's like ya all doing the right thing with packing the straw/hay into them boxs...just getting rain-rain+high winds were i'am........noticed a-lot of dogs would rather be in their box packed full of hay/straw+good bedding.than being in a house,no matter how cold it gets...apart from very young.....................will it get worse../????????

The worst is past me blue, I believe most of the U.S. should be getting better now as well.

...ya lucky then....makes ya think what the hell is happening with the weather around the world,,did it not last very long in some states...?????said on the bbc world news that all of 50 states affected...????

Man I hope it dont get worse where I live Blue...We just not use to this type of cold where I am from..Its more time consuming because of the preparation.So it jus $#@!s with my routine.But its not a problem to deal with just requires more thought and preparation.I just hope we dont get another one of those this year.

Yep it affected all US..$#@! i had a friend that was in Orlando and he said it was in the 30s at night in Orlando and thats about as far south as u can get..Where I live is considered deep south and Orlando Florida is prob about a 10 hr drive fursther south than me.

Yes, blue, all 50 states at some spot was 32 or below yesterday. Bama, I hope this isn't a sign of how the winter will be this year. We usually don't get really cold until Feb. so this winter has started out cold early.

I heard rancher in South Texas (by mexico) had icicles hanging off of the cows, it was that cold in S. TX as well.

Well the best thing it will make a-lot more be prepared for it again...the next years to come...

It was cold here also. the cold ain't nothin new...but this was a rough couple days..i hope everyone is ok..feel for yall that do not get this cold every winter. I hope the polar vortex is back up north to stay..30 below wind chill was enough to freeze the lakes n ponds..ice fishin time..

I hope not tree.I hope its a long time bfore we get another one like that..Ill give u a lil advice since u in the south now.When u see those buds on the pecan trees bust and start to leaf out..Its over..No more freeze.

...funny that ya say that,,the last say 10 years or so ,noticed a lot of buds would come out poss;1/r/2 months early.cause of mild winters,,also some bugs wakeing up to soon,,then bang,ya get another cold front and wipes em out../???....what happened to 4 seasons..??

lol i hear you on that Blue..Never been wrong with the Pecan tree s.Or at least if it did ever happen I just dont remember it.Pecans be the last to leaf out around here.

.....can ya get a harvest of them.?.grown in the right area.?.as ya get older ya start to get green fingers...lol

Sure can harvest Pecans..Its easy money to man.I got sveral Pecan trees.Depending on the quality of the nut they can go from anywhere from 55 cents a pound to 1.25 a pound..prices can vary depending on the market.

It has been a very mild winter for us in a while.

I didn't know that bama, I'm going to look around and see if I can spot a pecan tree around here.

....thats interesting to know..b-man,,may-be we all start a green-finger corner..lol...put down a few red berry bushs 1 1/2.year back got me first fruit off them last summer..no luck with the blue-berrys..any-body see the hazel nut trees impregnated with truffle spores their selling in garden centres......can teach one of the dogs to sniff em out....lol..