+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default hunting with dogs

Ok after some much appreciated help, ive got another question. If you were strictly hunting with dogs do you think a "gamedog" is the best option or is not a requirement? Im looking to get started in hunting something but im curious if i have the necessary tools so to speak. My apbt isnt exactly what id consider game bred as i dont have a clue to his lineage. Thanks for the help.

Default Re: hunting with dogs

game have better aqdvantages but a huge disadvantage is usally they cant work/hunt with other dogs. I hunt with my dog i let the patterdales bully lurchers and bull terriers go out but my catch dog (bulldog or a dogo) is on the lead untill the other dogs have bayed the hog up then i get relitivly close and turn then lose some times with the bulldogs i still have problem if i dont get them on the lead on time they will start a fight but that is what works for me.

dogs are bred for certain duties. so when your using them outside there original duties there's always going to be a compromise. you can use whatever with the right training. but why train something when there's other breeds that are made for there work. take the kemmers for example. they would run some apbt around but there best is the kemmer cur dogs. you didn't see norman un load the cur dogs & set them down. even though he might of got a win lol. figure what you wan to hunt & try to get something where it comes natural to that breed.

Honetly id like to hunt coyotes mainly but maybe fox or something idk. ReallyReally i want to just let the dogs do the dirty work. Thats my ultimate goal if you want to know.

i'd suggests dock diving or fly ball. if you just want them to do "dirty work" because anytime you hunt with dogs it's a team effort.

Anyone here using a spear without tying the pig up for the "dirty work"? I've seen those "boar spears" made by Cold Steel and was wondering how well they work.

ive used a spear they work ok they are kinda hard to get in there goodbut once uve gottem uve gottem. if u wanna work ur dogs id sugjest hog doggin a very good work out but for coyote hunting you should use lurchers or dogos

$#@! cold steel garbage, scroll down to the pipe knife....

http://www.condortk.com/productsdetail.php?prodid=43

or the Boar Dagger...

http://www.condortk.com/productsdetail.php?prodid=42

Not trying to hijack this thread but since it's about hunting with dog's has anybody worked with the TEXAS LACY breed of dog's? Been reading and saw some video's on them dog's they have alot of prey drive and can work as a team. they look like some pretty bad ass dog's.

those lacy dogs are a danm good baying dog they got the nose the speed and the bark but these dog make horrible catch dogs. one of my lacys got losed on a hunting trip i go hunting every weekend and the next weekend i went hunting in that same spot of woods by dammit that lacy dog was bayin with my pack again she had survived a week and was waitin for me to come get her.

This is my catch dog Chico (America Staffordshire terrier)

Im just going use what ive got if it works it works, if not ill try a diff route as guns are not an option for me.

nice dog huge props and i usally use a knife when i hunt pigs but with coyotes you will need a gun but yeah just do what works for you.

very nice eliblood^^^ he looks to be the perfect balance of that kinda cross

can I ask ya what kinda knife you use when hog hunting? I have no experience hunting them nasty $#@!ers, and im curious what length of blade/type of steel it takes to penetrate them $#@!ers deep enough
    Last edited by Lee D; 02-14-2013 at 11:00 AM.

i use a cold steel black bear classic the key isnt the knife it u have to go against the grain on there hair cuz that $#@! is so course and wirey.lol

and thank u lee d i will post some other dogs but i cant find the pics for some reason

nice lookin boy eliblood

thank he is very quick he is my 2 fasted do but my saluki flys past him like he is standing still lol

Thank's for the info eliblood98 learned something new from someone that work's his dog's.

no problem