+ Reply to Thread

Default Feeding 12 week old puppy too much or too little?

Hello! I am a first time pitbull owner and i have a beautiful red nose pitbull named Zeus. He is active but of course loves to sleep and i have been wondering about how much I'm feeding him.

I bought Zues at 8 weeks.
    I took him to the vet at about 10 weeks and he was 8 pounds 4 ounces.
    Since 8 weeks I've been feeding him Blue Buffalo puppy food.
    I've fed him 1/4 a cup each meal. - 8-9 weeks
    Then I fed him 1/2 a cup each meal. 9-11 weeks
    I've started feeding him 1 measuring cup a meal 3 times a day at 12 weeks.

He is still a puppy but i've been reading all these posts on google about their 12 week pitbulls being 25 pounds already!? i think that's a bit much because he still has a ways to go to get there. But I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a feeding chart or tell me IF i need to change anything????

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4787.jpg‎
Views:	376
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	25815  

Default Re: Feeding 12 week old puppy too much or too little?

Please reply!!1

He's still young, I'd feed him until he's full n not worry to much abt measuring until he's older. Just feed him n when he gets older work him, don't worry abt it. Keep me updated

ok great thanks. Just don't want him to be under or over weight!

Depending on your schedule you can free feed, meaning leaving the food down all day for him to eat. Me personally I feed first thing in morning and early afternoon due to work schedule. All dogs grow different so don't stress as long as his stool is consistent and he's active. Make sure your pup is up to date on all shots and worming. Good luck

As long as no backbone rib or hip bone is showing you are feeding enough for a puppy. A feeding chart is a basic guideline that can be adjusted to suit any pups/dogs nutritional needs. I always fed my pups between 1-2 cups a day up until adult hood in which all adults are on 2 or 2 1/2 cups a day I feed Wilderness grain free. Going by the picture the pup looks good and healthy to me. As far as weight goes a lot of that is going to depend on the genetics behind the dog if you have a pedigree and know what's behind the parents and how big the parents were you can get an estimate on what your pup will be weight wise full grown. Pups go through growth spurts so you may have one hit 30lbs at 7-8 months that may not put on much weight again until it hits closer to 2 as the dog begins to fill out. The apbt is typically between 30-60lbs full grown give or take a few pounds but that's not set in stone you have some that will fall on the larger side 65-75lbs and some even smaller than 30. So it really just depends. But I wouldn't worry about what the bag says always go by how your dog looks and feed according to what the dog needs based on activity levels.

i like to freee feed pups unless your crate training

hes probably about 10 pounds now or a little more and a few days away from 12 weeks. is that a healthy weight?

who knows, my pups 11 weeks n 9 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by rjdaniels1 View Post
    hes probably about 10 pounds now or a little more and a few days away from 12 weeks. is that a healthy weight?
    If the pup has been dewormed on schedule, shots up to date, stool firm, and is eating regularly with no hip, rib, or backbone showing your pup is at a healthy weight. Again your pup looks fine if you start seeing any backbone, rib, hip bone, the pups stools change drastically, or the pup stops eating or begins loosing weight even though he's being fed regularly than you will need to visit a vet. Other than that there is no science to feeding a pup give it a good feed keep it updated on shots and worming and feed it according to it's daily needs you will know when the pup is too skinny or not getting enough food just by looking at it.

Please reply!!1
    Damn chill the $#@! out lol. Not even an hour and you're pissing yourself lol

Puppies that young should be allowed to eat as much as they want twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogiemanBlood View Post
    Damn chill the $#@! out lol. Not even an hour and you're pissing yourself lol

Puppies that young should be allowed to eat as much as they want twice a day.
    Watch 12 yrs from now the dog will b dead n people will b responding

hahahahhahaahaha <3 sega

Hello! I am a first time pitbull owner and i have a beautiful red nose pitbull named Zeus. He is active but of course loves to sleep and i have been wondering about how much I'm feeding him.

I bought Zues at 8 weeks.
    I took him to the vet at about 10 weeks and he was 8 pounds 4 ounces.
    Since 8 weeks I've been feeding him Blue Buffalo puppy food.
    I've fed him 1/4 a cup each meal. - 8-9 weeks
    Then I fed him 1/2 a cup each meal. 9-11 weeks
    I've started feeding him 1 measuring cup a meal 3 times a day at 12 weeks.

He is still a puppy but i've been reading all these posts on google about their 12 week pitbulls being 25 pounds already!? i think that's a bit much because he still has a ways to go to get there. But I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a feeding chart or tell me IF i need to change anything????

Thanks!
    First thing is don't ask people on google about the APBT,99.9999% are nothing but idiots who don't have a clue about anything.When someone starts to tell me about their 100 pound "pits" my BS detector goes off and I get out of the conversation ASAP. I've had several pups and the one thing I've noticed is they come in all sizes.Don't worry about what size he is,he doesn't look skinny so whatever he weighs is what he weighs.Keep him fed,worm him when he needs it,keep him up to date on his vaccines and he'll weigh whatever he's supposed to.

My $#@! has always been a lil fatty but I have always free fed her up until the last week feeding raw but anyway here is a pic of her at 10 weeks if it helps

I have a 6 month old $#@! she is about 30lb....I been feeding her raw sence she was 8weeks....how much should she be eating whats the % to weight