+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wink Two Pit Bull Males

Hi Everyone!
    I am new to this forum, so this is my first post. Anyhow, I have 2 American Pit Bull Terriers, both of them are males. My oldest is 6 months and the youngest is almost 3 months. Of the people that I know who have more than 1 pit have a male and female. Just now I am hearing that having 2 males is asking for trouble, that they will never get along. I never thought of this as a concern when we were picking out the new puppy. My oldest came with us to pick out the new pup, so we could see who he would take a liking to and that was the one we took home. But when we arrived home, my oldest started biting the puppy, acting aggresive and taking any toy the new puppy had. Of course we knew there would be a little jealousy in the beginning and I am hoping that this will pass. They are both good boys and I really want them to get along. Is there anyone who has 2 male pits and can give me some advise on my situatiuon. I would gretly appreciate it.
    Thanks so much.

Default Re: Two Pit Bull Males

Im sorry to tell you this but with this breed.....no matter what the sex's are, its not safe to have two of them around eachother. It might be ok to let them play together at times SUPERVISED with a breaking stick on hand, but never without you standing there watching. There may be a time when they just stop liking eachother totally. And again, they could grow up to never be aggressive towards the other, but its not worth taking the chance, as with this breed being bred for fighting, chances are its going to happen sooner or later. "Never trust a pitbull not to fight''

Quote Originally Posted by strawberri
    Hi Everyone!
    I am new to this forum, so this is my first post. Anyhow, I have 2 American Pit Bull Terriers, both of them are males. My oldest is 6 months and the youngest is almost 3 months. Of the people that I know who have more than 1 pit have a male and female. Just now I am hearing that having 2 males is asking for trouble, that they will never get along. I never thought of this as a concern when we were picking out the new puppy. My oldest came with us to pick out the new pup, so we could see who he would take a liking to and that was the one we took home. But when we arrived home, my oldest started biting the puppy, acting aggresive and taking any toy the new puppy had. Of course we knew there would be a little jealousy in the beginning and I am hoping that this will pass. They are both good boys and I really want them to get along. Is there anyone who has 2 male pits and can give me some advise on my situatiuon. I would gretly appreciate it.
    Thanks so much.
    As a responsible owner it's your job to keep a good eye on them. If you notice your older male playing too aggressive maybe it means he's not good with pups. Not all dogs are good with puppies. Another thing is, it sounds to me like you got the younger male as a sort of "playmate" for your older dog. They don't need playmates, you are your dogs best friend as he is yours. Of course, both are still pups and they may get along but soon enough you might want to think about separating them. The APBT is known to carry a bit of dog-aggressiveness. Remember no two dogs should be left alone unsupervised.

My females have almost killed my male plenty of times,

and they grew up since 5 weeks of age

my 2 males will play together for a while but you will eventually see some tension start forming between them and thats time to put them up

one is 4 yr. and the other is 1 year 1/2

Listen up! this is very important, i know becouse this happened to me a long time ago.Your dogs must NEVER play together or be left alone.If you take your eyes off of them for one minute you could have a fight on your hands.With this breed you cannot EVER think for a minute that they will be okay together alone.I dont care if they are the best of buds playing and rolling in the grass whatever, you think you can go to the store real quick or go get the mail, you could come back to a dead or seriously injured dog.
    Its not there fault that is who they are and what they are made of, Its your fault for not researching and readingup on what kind of animal you own.
    So im very glad you asked this question before you had to learn the hard way.
    Oh yeah aggressive play is normal, if the bigger male starts getting a little to rowdy or aggressive stop the playing and let them settle before letting them continue.

I think everyone has hammered the point home... Keep them seperated unless under close supervision, and have a breaking stike with you at all times. Do not leave them alone... I even keep my male and female seperated when they are not supervised.

Just wanted to say Thank You for responding, and being helpful. Yes, they are ALWAYS supervised when they are together and apart in their own kennels when we are not home. As soon as my husband or myself finds the older pup to aggressive we break it up and make him calm down before continuting. Someone also told me, that if there was a fight, to pour a bucket of water on them to break it up. I am happy to hear that someone out there does have 2 male pits (Norvel57). I was bacically worried that there was no way this was going to work out and had to get rid of the little pup, which would break my heart (either one).

Hate to tell ya this too but....if their pit-fighting roots come out someday, a bucket of water wont stop it. Invest in a breaking stick and carry it at all times, and know how to use it.

Well I see nothing wrong with 2 dogs growing up together as pups regardless of sex, with pitbulls the sex does'nt matter. now they will still get into it eventually and you must be prepared to take proper action if it does occure. Make sure they know that any aggression towards eachother will not be tolerated, and always seperate them when they get too rough with eachother. As long as they are being supervised anytime they are together then I see nothing wrong. Just to be sure keep collars on them at all times, much easier to seperate if they do ever get into it. As pups it might not seem hard to seperate them, but as adults they are extremely strong and it will be much different to seperate them. The key is too not panic and to break it up as soon as you can. In just minutes an adult pitbull can seriously injure another, it does'nt take long at all. For anyone wanting to raise 2 dogs together I would recommend purchasing an Amstaff, don't buy a game bred pitbull, your chances will be much higher that they will not get along later on.

I raised a few of mine together and one minute they are all best friends, but in an instant something can set them off at eachother. One example is that there can't be any food if they are around eachother, I have a female that even if she smells food in another room (such as meat cooking in the kitchen) she will go from playing nice and cute to hunting down any dog she sees and trying to kill them. I guess when she knows there is food she instinctly thinks any other dog nearby is a threat to her survival even though they all eat plenty of food and they are normally friends. They act on instinct and there is no way to fully control a dogs instincts, we can only understand them and create an environment that will keep everything in line. Training, obedience, respect, discipline, environment, being prepared, all help out but nothing is 100% when it comes down to genetics.

I have 2 females and 1 male. I got them at all seperate times and they are perfectly fine together. They sleep in a cage together and are locked up when I am not home together. I've had them together for a total of 5 yrs and I have NEVER had a serious fight on my hands with them. From the puppy stage I started introducing them to other dogs and animals to get them use to different surroundings and they play very nicely with strange animals. I also have 2 cats and my dogs love them. It isn't uncommon for me to walk into a room and find them all sleeping together. You can not judge a dog by the breed isn't that what we are trying to get across to the public. Just beware of you dogs and their behavior. Keep an eye on them as you as you would your kids, it's the best way to keep them safe. I'm not saying my situation is for everyone because I know i'm lucky, but don't think that there is no chance that they will get along.

they have got along so far but don't think it can't happen jilljohn541 you have been lucky mine also get along but i still watch em close

You can not judge a dog by the breed isn't that what we are trying to get across to the public.

You can not judge the APBT breed by 1 human aggressive pit bull, as that's what they were NOT bred for & trained to be! But my friend, you are playing a very dangerous game of Russian Roulette with your dogs. These dogs WERE bred for DOG AGGESSIVENESS and PREY DRIVE. What you are doing is ignoring everything this breed is about & was bred for. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad your dogs get along. But statements like "Oh, you're pit bull & your Shih Tzu will get along when they're older as long as they're raised together" (or 2 pit bulls for that matter) are the No. 2 reason why so many people dump their pit bulls at the shelter--b/c they didn't get along with their other dogs like the owners were told they would/could. You need to think very long & hard about whether or not your training can honestly win over 100's of years of selective breeding. And just to let you know, Akee & Pops got along great for 5 yrs..always cuddled, played, etc. (although they were NEVER left alone together) until one day when Akee was 5 & Pops was 9. I never figured out what started the fight, but it took me & my husband (b.f. at the time) 30 min. to separate them. And after that point they would try to get at each other when in passing. They never got along again. So I do believe that a properly bred & trained pit bull should never ever "turn" on a person, but to state that the dog wouldn't "turn" on another dog (a friend) is just like dousing your house with gasoline & just waiting for a spark. It WILL come some day & when that day comes, everything will go up in flames.

hopefully this point will be gotten and taken to heart mia

Amerika......where rights are stolen every day for our own "protection"

Quote Originally Posted by jilljohn541
    I have 2 females and 1 male. I got them at all seperate times and they are perfectly fine together. They sleep in a cage together and are locked up when I am not home together. I've had them together for a total of 5 yrs and I have NEVER had a serious fight on my hands with them. From the puppy stage I started introducing them to other dogs and animals to get them use to different surroundings and they play very nicely with strange animals. I also have 2 cats and my dogs love them. It isn't uncommon for me to walk into a room and find them all sleeping together. You can not judge a dog by the breed isn't that what we are trying to get across to the public. Just beware of you dogs and their behavior. Keep an eye on them as you as you would your kids, it's the best way to keep them safe. I'm not saying my situation is for everyone because I know i'm lucky, but don't think that there is no chance that they will get along.
    jilljohn, you are the exception not the rule. And please don't take it for granted that they'll always get along, you may just come home someday to a couple dead, dying or injured dogs.

I'm sorry that everyone thinks the worse of this breed. Maybe I am being nieve but how can all of you say this will happen, surely will happen. You don't know this just like I don't know it won't. I stated to always keep an eye on them because there is the potential but are we are pit owners not suppose to let them ever interact with another dog, ever. Why not start trying to change things. I know dozens of people like myself with multiple pits that have a loving home and live well together. Yes my dogs get aggitated with each other at times but a simple snip and they back off. I had more problems with my parents two poodles than my own pits. I've been around these dogs my whole life and I will defend their nature and hope for them to live a peaceful life. I have read so many stories on this site of people saying negitive things but wishing for the best, I need people who believe in the breed to help win the public fight. I love my dogs and will protect them with my life, I mean that. I guess I'm just a little more passionate about the secureity of pits and their well being and if that makes me nieve, I'm proud to be it. No one preach to me that I'm making a bad mistake with my dogs who are loving, healthy, and happy just because I have multiples. I care more about my dogs than some people about their kids. I can't wait to come home and play with them on a regular basis. Just because you had a bad experience, which I am sorry for, don't think that all of them are like that. I work extensively with my dogs to promote good behavior. My neighborhood loves my dogs and I do not have anyone on my ajoining blocks that are "scared" of my dogs, they know them and respect them. Judgement not passed.

he missed the point totally

The point is that everyone should keep all pets seperate when not at home, if you don't regardless of how they are then you are doing a very ignorant thing. Other then that when your there do what you want, some of em grew up together and can play a little, but always have a plan ready so that if all hell breaks loose then you should be able to seperate and take control within a few minutes, providing you have a stick nearby and the dogs have on their collars then that's how it should be. Last new years one of my females attacked my male for the first time, it took 10 min to break em up. They had no collars on and no break stick around, I did'nt plan on them ever getting into it, I was unprepared. 10 min is way too long to seperate and because of my mistake there was blood 6 feet up all the walls and my dogs messed eachother up real bad. 10 min is all it took for em to scare up and recieve perm cartilage and tissue damage. They heal up fine but you don't want careless injuries that could be prevented simply by having a plan.

Last time they got into it which 5 months had past, it only took about 3 min and they were'nt bad at all, they each had 1 good bite and that was it. Big difference, because i'm now prepared and more experienced then before I have learned how to control a bad situation. Until you have witnessed your bulldog really get med one will not understand the power and damage it can inflict on eachother, when they are for real it's totally dif from rough housing, best friends will kill eachother in an instant.
    Last edited by Bluepit50; 06-08-2005 at 10:25 PM.

No i got your point eye wide open while your eyes seem to be shut to the possiblities of others. Your point is this breed is vicious like the news says and can not be trusted. Check. I have to watch my dogs, who I have raised and been with everyday for 5 yrs., 24 hours a day because u people think that they can not cohabitate.Check. Thank you for all the support.

I agree with it being ok to let your dogs play and spend time together, but will never agree on leaving more than 1 alone together. Who is saying they are vicious animals? They are very loving and intelligent animals, but were also created to kill eachother physically and mentally. You cannot deny a pitbull's genetics and breed standard. Your dogs can live peacefully together, plenty of them out there do, but they are not the best choice of breed for a multi dog household. They have extremely high prey drive and were bred to be the ultimate fighting dog of the world, with gameness being their strength. They are physically the strongest dog in the world for their size and have the mental strength to match that. No matter how nice your pits are you cannot honestly say that they can never get into a fight, because if they do pitbulls fight to kill regardless the reason for the fight. What is it people are saying that's not true?