+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How often to deworm

How often do you deworm? I've heard 2x a year and 4x a year, not sure which to do. We do get a lot of mosquitoes here (pretty much year-round) so I'm leaning toward 4x but not sure. Opinions? Also, what dewormer do you use?

Default Re: How often to deworm

Check out the Ivomec threads.

I use Ivomec for heartworm but was under the impression it didn't treat intestinal stuff. I will look at those threads. Thanks

I only use ivomec for heart worms also. There are much more efficient products for intestinal parasites.

I worm monthly

I do everything on a monthly period. Deworming, intestinal parasites, protection against bugs are all different thinks.

My dogs get a fecal and heart worm test once a year and live indoors. Do you think deworming a dog in this scenario is necessary ?

i deworm monthly. and ivomec monthly also. but mosquitos are a plague where im at

I Deworm 3x a yr and use safe guard canine dewormer (3 day granules treatment). Kills a variety of worms. I order it from drsfostersmith. The pack for large dogs is like $11-12 but from petsmart or a place like that its $19-21 for the same thing.

I deworm with Ivomec monthly for HEARTWORMS (I skip the winter months of Dec, Jan, Feb & Mar)

Every 2 months with Strongid-T.

Every 6 months with Safe-guard (3 day granules treatment).

Never had a flea problem so I don't worm specifically for tapeworm. But before keep I do worm with Fish Tapes Praziquantel wormer.

YIS

If you are feeding raw you should deworm monthly...

12. Default Re: How often to deworm

^^ storebought raw or wildcaught raw ??

There's no reason to deworm more on raw than on kibble. That much I know.

I use Interceptor tabs monthly -for internal parasites and heart worms.

Actually your dog can get worms from meat that hasn't been stored properly or frozen long enough

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Pits View Post
    Actually your dog can get worms from meat that hasn't been stored properly or frozen long enough
    In which case you are feeding raw improperly... If you do it right you should be okay. I know a lot of rawfeeders who've never had a rawfed dog w/ worms, who never worm their dogs, just get stools checked. I just would rather worm periodically than check stools to save $$.

i would say every 6 months

DO you guys think checking Heartworm and fecal once a year is enough?

You can't detect all worms from their stools and they are idiots if they don't worm their dogs. You asked about worms so I told you. Some types of meat need to be deep frozen for at least 3 weeks before all the parasites will be killed and its irresponsible to assume all store bought meat is safe. I guess you forgot about the problems we had with chicken a year or so ago and all the humans who got sick huh? Lol good luck....

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Pits View Post
    You can't detect all worms from their stools and they are idiots if they don't worm their dogs. You asked about worms so I told you. Some types of meat need to be deep frozen for at least 3 weeks before all the parasites will be killed and its irresponsible to assume all store bought meat is safe. I guess you forgot about the problems we had with chicken a year or so ago and all the humans who got sick huh? Lol good luck....
    I said they get their stools checked. Derp. So I wouldn't say they're fools because they chose to know if their dogs have worms rather than giving them pesticides regularly. Not knocking people that just deworm regularly, that's what I'd like to do, but to say someone's a fool for getting a fecal instead of deworming willy-nilly is a bit off. And only three weeks? That's a laugh. I dunno about them but my meat stays in the freezer for months before I get around to feeding it. I appreciate the help with deworming but it's not a bigger problem for raw feeders than anyone else.