+ Reply to Thread

Default Dog puncture/bite

I have a two year old pit that got in a fight two days ago, with another loose dog protecting my niece....he has a visible puncture wound on his upper chest and there is swelling and fluid...we have cleaned it, given him antibiotics (oral), and he just was given his first shot of penicillin.....what else should be done to make sure infection doesnt occur and to increase the healing process?

Default Re: Dog puncture/bite

Keep the wound clean and let it drain you dont want it to close it will abcess. Get rid of the penicillin(will not work ) hot compress and squeeze it not to hard just enough so fluid will drain.

How long after the incident did you treat your dog and what type and amount of oral antibiotic are you giving your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ragedog10 View Post
    Keep the wound clean and let it drain you dont want it to close it will abcess. Get rid of the penicillin(will not work ) hot compress and squeeze it not to hard just enough so fluid will drain.

that will do it every time those punctures around the neck and chest do tend to build a lot of fluid the hot compress works really well and usually i don't use antibiotics a lot ,just rarely if it seems to be infected, no use in wasting that $#@! it gets expensive and just like us they build an immunity to them after a while.