Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default how soon can you tell if breeding took

how soon can you tell if the $#@! is pregnant

Default Re: how soon can you tell if breeding took

One month two weeks three days four hours five mines and six seconds after you breed her.

Hopefully never

Actually, I had this question myself... might seem silly to those to whom breeding is a yearly event, but to those who don't or haven't, how does one tell if a tie has taken? Guess you could take her in to the vet and do one of those pregnancy tests, but at the same time are there any signs so one can tell when or if a person should begin preparing for pups so to speak.

Yea you should prepare for pups when you do the breeding.

Okay, maybe I should have said prepare the $#@! for the arrival... probably when she starts showin it'd be time to add to her food intake and cut back on exercise huh? Guess all you can do is stick em and wait for her to start showing and if after two months she don't drop none you can consider that particular breeding a bust.

We get x-rays around day 40. That gives you a clue on how many to expect and still gives you 23 days to prepare for the pups if you haven't already.

Don't get why people post comments if they don't have anything helpful to add. I guess when you know everything ( or think you do), you chastise rather than help.

Thanks for the reply AGK.

Guess so, Thanks AGK.

Quote Originally Posted by AGK View Post
    We get x-rays around day 40. That gives you a clue on how many to expect and still gives you 23 days to prepare for the pups if you haven't already.

Don't get why people post comments if they don't have anything helpful to add. I guess when you know everything ( or think you do), you chastise rather than help.
    X rays SHOULD be taken after 45 days. Any sooner you may not see the puppies. Due to the bones not fully forming to be visiable on Radiograph. Now you can get an ultrasound on ay 30. But it is harder to get an accurate count.

You can also do a witness relaxin blood test anytime after 30 days. I have done them before to verify pregnancy.

And the whole 63 days is not written in stone. Due to when the actual LH surge is. When you are breeding naturally and not doing a progesterone test it is harder to pinpoint an actual date. It can range anywhere between 60-72 days from what I have seen.

I have had a $#@! go 71 days. I have had a $#@! go 67 days.

Well honestly why dont you do a search before you ask questions??
    I mean damn quit being $#@!ing lazy.

My dog is supposed to have her first litter tomorrow, it'll be her 63rd day, but I don't think she's pregnant really, she got very lazy around 3-4 weeks and hasn't been interested in exercise at all, but she looks very much the same as before she was pregnant

on average you can tell if a $#@! is pregnant by visual appearance at about 6 weeks. Sometimes earlier if it is a big litter and sometimes not until she gives birth if there are only one or two. I never really saw the point in doing an x-ray if you have to wait until approximately 6 weeks anyway. I guess if you were taking deposits on pups you might want to know how many there are. I never bred to sell so waiting till they were born wasn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pitbull View Post
    My dog is supposed to have her first litter tomorrow, it'll be her 63rd day, but I don't think she's pregnant really, she got very lazy around 3-4 weeks and hasn't been interested in exercise at all, but she looks very much the same as before she was pregnant
    I have had $#@!es with only 1 pup fool me. Be sure to put her in a good whelping area just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost View Post
    Well honestly why dont you do a search before you ask questions??
    I mean damn quit being $#@!ing lazy.
    Has the search feature gotten better than it was? Cause back in the day it sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakaZ View Post
    Has the search feature gotten better than it was? Cause back in the day it sucked.
    It still sucks.

Well that would be a good reason not to use it, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by benthere View Post
    I have had $#@!es with only 1 pup fool me. Be sure to put her in a good whelping area just in case.
    Yea, she's been in there for 2 weeks or so now, she likes it I think. It has 4" of insulation underneath it aswell as 1" of chipboard and then wood chips on top of that

do u have any peds behind ur dogs ?
    mayb not ? its ok if u dont ,
    the watin game is a killer

63 days is NOT WRITTEN IN STONE. If you bred on the day that the LH surged then it is 63 days. And the only way to know that is progesterone testing.

Quote Originally Posted by benthere View Post
    on average you can tell if a $#@! is pregnant by visual appearance at about 6 weeks. Sometimes earlier if it is a big litter and sometimes not until she gives birth if there are only one or two. I never really saw the point in doing an x-ray if you have to wait until approximately 6 weeks anyway. I guess if you were taking deposits on pups you might want to know how many there are. I never bred to sell so waiting till they were born wasn't a problem.
    Some people like to know the number so it is easier to tell when the $#@! is done. I myself get them. That wa I do not have to worry about it.