+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Albon/Sulmet

Default Albon/Sulmet

Does anyone know how to give Albon/Sulmet in the drinking water for dogs as a monthly maitenance. I've read two pages of threads in the search feature on here and googled it and it brings me back to these threads. With none of them clearly telling how to use. The yard is kept clean and all other measures are used but I thought I would add this for a little addded insurance. Every dose I've read is for pups with coccidiosis not once a month routine maitenance. The dogs are and have always been healthy. For some reason though this year I've noticed birds are landing on the dogs water bowls and drinking and using them for a bird bath. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Albon/Sulmet

i would think it would be better to put it in their feed as opposed to their water. that way you can ensure they get an entire dose and it doesn't get wasted. but as far as how much to use, i dont know, tbh.

Most dogs like the taste of Albon, you could just shoot it in their mouths with a syringe. I've accidentally tasted it before, it was sweet. lol I've only given it to pups at my job before, so I don't know how much you would give as a monthly routine. We use it as a "preventative" since I work at a pet store and the pups have god knows what, so maybe it can kind of be compared to monthly routine? I think the dosage we use is 1cc per 10 pounds of body weight? I'm not 100%, but I can check it at work tomorrow.

I wouldn't give it as any maintenance. Just as with any meds the more you give it (especially when not needed) the less effective it is when you really do. Only use it when your dog has a confirmed sickness that you use the med for.

As for the dosage, that would depend on if you are using Albon from the vet (labeled for dogs) which is a 5% solution of sulfadimethoxine, or the 12.5% solution which is labeled for cattle.

The vet dosage of prescription Albon 5% solution for coccidiosis is 5ml per 10 lbs the first day, followed by 2.5ml per 10 lbs for 5 more days. So if you are using the 12.5% solution you divide those numbers by 2.5 and you have your dosage for the stronger version. In other words for those who can't do the math LOL 2ml per 10 lbs the first day, and 1ml per 10lbs for 5 more days after that. I myself go a couple extra days and make it 7 days just to be safe.

The version labeled for cattle is not appealing to the dogs taste at all, so mixing it with something sweet is recommended. The version labeled for dogs is already mixed with caramel flavored syrup so the lap it right up.

Thanks LJB, Kristin,Boogie, I thought I had it figured out. I just wanted to make sure before I used it, if I do. I agree with ya Boogie. Thought I'd get some to have on hand incase its ever needed. I saw in a post were someone said to use it ever six months for good measures.

Quote Originally Posted by bgblok68 View Post
    Thanks LJB, Kristin,Boogie, I thought I had it figured out. I just wanted to make sure before I used it, if I do. I agree with ya Boogie. Thought I'd get some to have on hand incase its ever needed. I saw in a post were someone said to use it ever six months for good measures.
    Get the gallon if you have over one or two dogs. A time or two of using it and you've already saved over what it would cost you at a vet. Putting it in water once in a while is useless as it takes 5-7 days of of treatment to have any effect. People read this silly $#@! and then repeat it thinking they are spreading good info. IMO it's a bad and useless idea. To each their own though

Here's the generic version and I recommend finding a friend to split it with you.

http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/.../SULFAOXNE-125

Thanx for posting that boogie, as I was quite interested myself

No problem, just want to help when I can. Anybody take the info if you want or flush it down the toilet also LOL

Thanks again Boogie. I try to buy everything in bulk. We got well over a couple of dogs. Anybody know the shelf life of this stuff? We add Diatomaceous Earth to thier feed every 2-3 days. I dont know if it helps but we havnt had any problems so far. We're planning on getting chickens and maybe a couple of goats. We're also surrounded by neighbors with cattle so if We get it, it wont go to waste. Also thanks to Ngo for the pm's.

The expiration date on mine was over 2 years away when I bought it.

I like sulmet!!...instead of putting it in their water bowl I use to shoot it straight down there throat!!...they hate that $#@!!!...they go to slobing on theirselves and just lookin pitiful!...lol...they have a omega 3 paste that u can mix with it that takes the taste away and the dogs luv it!!...real easy to use!...I also heard that albon is not good for dog either!!

I got a package of Sulmet. $14 I like old feed stores that have been around forever.lol They also have Corid.

Quote Originally Posted by crushbones View Post
    I like sulmet!!...instead of putting it in their water bowl I use to shoot it straight down there throat!!...they hate that $#@!!!...they go to slobing on theirselves and just lookin pitiful!...lol...they have a omega 3 paste that u can mix with it that takes the taste away and the dogs luv it!!...real easy to use!...I also heard that albon is not good for dog either!!
    how much do you use for a 20 lb puppy? 7 weeks old

Albon is an antibiotic. Overuse will cause organisms to develop a resistance to it.

Do not use it unless there is actually a reason to.

You can also get it in a 40% injectable solution labled for cattle.