+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Equimax paste

  1. #1

    Default Equimax paste

    Thought I would change med one time to see if it works...I bought this med today and wanted to kno how many ml should I give my dogs...it comes in a big tube and I'm pretty sure I can't give them all of this because it says this one tube can treat 4 horse...the dogs I'm trying to treat weigh nomore than 35 lb so trying to find out wat is the correct dose to give and can I use this paste later on or do I have to use it all once I pop the top on the tube?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Mate i'v looked in too this product before but never went ahead with using it.. I believe the ratio is 1ml per 44lbs...Just cap it of well after use and store it at room temp away from sunlight and you should be sweet..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    southwest missouri
    Posts
    2,592

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Quote Originally Posted by crushbones View Post
    Thought I would change med one time to see if it works...I bought this med today and wanted to kno how many ml should I give my dogs...it comes in a big tube and I'm pretty sure I can't give them all of this because it says this one tube can treat 4 horse...the dogs I'm trying to treat weigh nomore than 35 lb so trying to find out wat is the correct dose to give and can I use this paste later on or do I have to use it all once I pop the top on the tube?
    I've used it before,liked it ok.This is the dosage I use,
    1cc = 43lbs. to 51lbs.
    9/10cc = 38lbs. to 46lbs.
    8/10cc = 34lbs. to 41lbs.
    7/10cc = 30lbs. to 36lbs.
    6/10cc = 26lbs. to 31lbs.
    5/10cc = 21lbs. to 26lbs.
    4/10cc = 17lbs. to 21lbs.
    3/10cc = 13lbs. to 15lbs.
    2/10cc = 9lbs. to 10lbs.
    1/10cc = 4lbs. to 5lbs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    southwest missouri
    Posts
    2,592

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    It's a bit of a pain in the butt to get from the tube it comes in to the syringe.What I do it squirt some into the top of a 12 cc syringe,take the needle off and then squirt it into a 1cc diabetic syringe.The tip of the bigger syringe fits into the top opening of the diabetic syringe pretty good.I waste less that way.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    The truth is you have to be careful with a lot of the horse wormers when used in dogs. The main reason is because of under or overdoses of certain drugs. The ivomec dose in Equimax is on the "super-super-high" end of the dog dose – it’s almost twice the mange dose, and way overkill for heart worms, while the praziquantel dose isn’t too bad.

    Wormers like Zimectrin Gold which has the same ingredients but different doses, the ivomec dose is still on the super high end dose and the praziquantel part is actual far too low to be effective for tapes. So you are really wasting your money in buying the “gold”.

    I am not sure what you are using for sure since the Equimax product treats 1350lbs of horse, and unless you are talking about minis, this really only treats one horse. Avg riding horse is 900-1200lbs. Unless you have a different dose product, of course. Does the label say it treats 4 horses? perhaps it's a really big tube, lol.

    BE VERY CAREFUL when using horse and cattle drugs, horses tend to have a VERY long intestinal tract and they don’t normally need high doses of drugs to be effective for them, whereas a dog, they are in & out so to speak. Drugs like safeguard paste (panacur) for horses is virtually ineffective for a dog because you need to give ten times the horse dose to a dog to get the desired effect. Not to mention the tapes it gets are not the ones that dogs tend to get.

    The best solution would be to stick with the generic ivomec paste or injectable (cheapest bet) and DO THE MATH!!! The normal high end of the dog dose should be 200mcg/kg – if using the injectable that’s about .1 ml per 10lbs of body wt. The paste dose can vary per manufacturer so just be sure your using the correct dose. If it is a 1.55% paste you can use the normal wt lines on the tube and be fairly safe, although high. The Equimax paste is a 1.87% so, like I said, its double.

    For tapes the cheapest thing is to look for the generic "fish tape meds" it has pure praziquantel in it. I think it is Thomas Labs that sells it.

    The dangerous flip side to that is you can also kill a dog with some horse/cattle meds, such as the “Quest” dewormers. So the moral is DO NOT give horse/cattle meds that are not available in a doggie form – use only known safe drugs, and DO THE MATH!!!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Thanks gh32!..how do u like it??

  7. #7

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    the problem with paste is the ingredients aren't evenly distributed.
    your better off using liquid for a more accurate dose.
    why take a chance??

  8. #8

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire&Earth View Post
    The truth is you have to be careful with a lot of the horse wormers when used in dogs. The main reason is because of under or overdoses of certain drugs. The ivomec dose in Equimax is on the "super-super-high" end of the dog dose – it’s almost twice the mange dose, and way overkill for heart worms, while the praziquantel dose isn’t too bad.

    Wormers like Zimectrin Gold which has the same ingredients but different doses, the ivomec dose is still on the super high end dose and the praziquantel part is actual far too low to be effective for tapes. So you are really wasting your money in buying the “gold”.

    I am not sure what you are using for sure since the Equimax product treats 1350lbs of horse, and unless you are talking about minis, this really only treats one horse. Avg riding horse is 900-1200lbs. Unless you have a different dose product, of course. Does the label say it treats 4 horses? perhaps it's a really big tube, lol.

    BE VERY CAREFUL when using horse and cattle drugs, horses tend to have a VERY long intestinal tract and they don’t normally need high doses of drugs to be effective for them, whereas a dog, they are in & out so to speak. Drugs like safeguard paste (panacur) for horses is virtually ineffective for a dog because you need to give ten times the horse dose to a dog to get the desired effect. Not to mention the tapes it gets are not the ones that dogs tend to get.

    The best solution would be to stick with the generic ivomec paste or injectable (cheapest bet) and DO THE MATH!!! The normal high end of the dog dose should be 200mcg/kg – if using the injectable that’s about .1 ml per 10lbs of body wt. The paste dose can vary per manufacturer so just be sure your using the correct dose. If it is a 1.55% paste you can use the normal wt lines on the tube and be fairly safe, although high. The Equimax paste is a 1.87% so, like I said, its double.

    For tapes the cheapest thing is to look for the generic "fish tape meds" it has pure praziquantel in it. I think it is Thomas Labs that sells it.

    The dangerous flip side to that is you can also kill a dog with some horse/cattle meds, such as the “Quest” dewormers. So the moral is DO NOT give horse/cattle meds that are not available in a doggie form – use only known safe drugs, and DO THE MATH!!!
    thanks for Ur input fire&earth and I will take everything in u said!...I have a couple of friends who use it and said it's a good product that's why I'm trying it...I most def don't want to harm my dogs so that's why I'm getting all the information on this that I can!...my friends told me the dose to give but I like to have several opinions on it, that's why I'm asking about it....I bought a big tube that cost 13 dollars and I read the back of it and it said it could treat up to 4 horses that equal up to 3000+lb...and most of my dogs only weigh nomore than 50lb so I kno I can't give them all of this in the tube!...just want the right dose to give them!...another thing, my dogs are worm free (I believe) but I like to worm them every month to keep them from getting worms so is this alright to use even though Ur dogs don't have worms??....and again, thanks for the input!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Has anyone done the conversion for micrograms(mcg) and milligrams(mg) into grams(g)? Does anyone know that 1g water= 1ml= 1cc so the desity of the paste changes it but due to such small amounts being given for proper treatment, it won't affect the outcome that much.
    The website says per dose rate 91mcg= 0.000091g of Ivermectrin and
    0.68mg= 0.0068g praziquantel per lb.(pound)
    This means the proper dosing for your dog the dosage would be less than 1cc.
    Pounds to amount give below:
    30= 0.0027g
    32.5= 0.0030g
    35= 0.0032g
    37.5= 0.0034g
    40= 0.0036g
    42.5= 0.0039g
    45= 0.0041g
    47.5= 0.0043g
    50= 0.0046g

  10. #10

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    In order to give your dog 1/2cc they would have to be 500+ lb.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    INDICATIONS:
    Broad-spectrum worming paste that is up to 100% effective in treating all major parasites in horses including:
    Large strongyles (Strongylus vulgaris, Strongylus edentatus, Strongylus equinus, and Triodontophorus spp.)
    Small strongyles including benzimidazole resistant strains (Cyathostomum spp., Cylicocyclus spp., Cylicostephanus spp., Cylicocontophorus spp., Gyalocephanus spp.)
    Ascarids (Parascaris equorum)
    Pinworms (Oxyuris equi)
    Hairworms (Trichostrongylus axei)
    Large mouthed stomach worms (Habronema muscae)
    Lungworms (Dictyocaulus amfieldi)
    Neck and intestinal threadworms (Onchocerca spp., Strongyloides westeri)
    All three species of tapeworms (Anoplocephala perfolliata, Anoplocephala magna, Paranoplocephala mammillana)
    All three species of bots (Gasterophilus spp.)
    Also controls:
    Skin lesions caused by Habronema and Draschia spp.
    Cutaneous larvae (summer sores)
    Onchocerca spp. microfilarie
    COMPOSITION:
    Each Equimax 37.6g syringe contains:
    Abamectin - 3.7mg/g
    Praziquantel - 46.2mg/g
    DOSAGE:
    Dose at 1mL per 20kg bodyweight (5mL per 100kg).
    Each syring of Equimax treats a horse up to 700kg.
    PRESENTATION:
    37.8g single syringe
    Stable pail containing 60 syringes.
    STORAGE:
    Store below 30°C (Room Temperature)
    away from light.
    http://www.virbac.com.au/p-virbacaup...xOralPaste.pdf

  12. #12

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Mdoggz, I still don't know where your getting the dosage. I looked at the MSDS and it's not on there. Also, it says 1/2 mg and it takes 1000mg to equal 1g or 1cc. I'm not saying don't use this product. Do as you wish, just giving you facts and so far, people have come on here and given dosages that have worked for them. Only thing to do is try it and see what happens.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    southwest missouri
    Posts
    2,592

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire&Earth View Post
    The truth is you have to be careful with a lot of the horse wormers when used in dogs. The main reason is because of under or overdoses of certain drugs. The ivomec dose in Equimax is on the "super-super-high" end of the dog dose – it’s almost twice the mange dose, and way overkill for heart worms, while the praziquantel dose isn’t too bad.

    Wormers like Zimectrin Gold which has the same ingredients but different doses, the ivomec dose is still on the super high end dose and the praziquantel part is actual far too low to be effective for tapes. So you are really wasting your money in buying the “gold”.

    I am not sure what you are using for sure since the Equimax product treats 1350lbs of horse, and unless you are talking about minis, this really only treats one horse. Avg riding horse is 900-1200lbs. Unless you have a different dose product, of course. Does the label say it treats 4 horses? perhaps it's a really big tube, lol.

    BE VERY CAREFUL when using horse and cattle drugs, horses tend to have a VERY long intestinal tract and they don’t normally need high doses of drugs to be effective for them, whereas a dog, they are in & out so to speak. Drugs like safeguard paste (panacur) for horses is virtually ineffective for a dog because you need to give ten times the horse dose to a dog to get the desired effect. Not to mention the tapes it gets are not the ones that dogs tend to get.

    The best solution would be to stick with the generic ivomec paste or injectable (cheapest bet) and DO THE MATH!!! The normal high end of the dog dose should be 200mcg/kg – if using the injectable that’s about .1 ml per 10lbs of body wt. The paste dose can vary per manufacturer so just be sure your using the correct dose. If it is a 1.55% paste you can use the normal wt lines on the tube and be fairly safe, although high. The Equimax paste is a 1.87% so, like I said, its double.

    For tapes the cheapest thing is to look for the generic "fish tape meds" it has pure praziquantel in it. I think it is Thomas Labs that sells it.

    The dangerous flip side to that is you can also kill a dog with some horse/cattle meds, such as the “Quest” dewormers. So the moral is DO NOT give horse/cattle meds that are not available in a doggie form – use only known safe drugs, and DO THE MATH!!!
    I won't use Zimectrin Gold,I've heard bad things about it,the Equimax has worked fine for me without any problems.I know several people who use Equimax and other cattle/horse products on their dogs without issue,if you have several dogs it is considerably cheaper to do it that way.Same thing as using Ivomec for heartworms,it's a cattle medicine that's much,much cheaper than Heartguard.Anyway,before I started using the Equimax,I checked online and also with several people I knew personally that were dog breeders that used it and I concluded it was safe enough.I didn't want my dogs being the guinea pigs,lol.I only use the Equimax if I suspect a tapeworm,for just routine wormings I use Safeguard goat wormer or Valbazen.

    Quote Originally Posted by crushbones View Post
    Thanks gh32!..how do u like it??
    I just use it when I suspect a tapeworm,which thankfully isn't very often.I like ok.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Quote Originally Posted by gh32 View Post
    I won't use Zimectrin Gold,I've heard bad things about it,the Equimax has worked fine for me without any problems.I know several people who use Equimax and other cattle/horse products on their dogs without issue,if you have several dogs it is considerably cheaper to do it that way.Same thing as using Ivomec for heartworms,it's a cattle medicine that's much,much cheaper than Heartguard.Anyway,before I started using the Equimax,I checked online and also with several people I knew personally that were dog breeders that used it and I concluded it was safe enough.I didn't want my dogs being the guinea pigs,lol.I only use the Equimax if I suspect a tapeworm,for just routine wormings I use Safeguard goat wormer or Valbazen.

    I just use it when I suspect a tapeworm,which thankfully isn't very often.I like ok.
    Thanks for the info gh32, I have no doubt that it works. Just don't want someone using the wrong dosage and having there dogs organ system shut down. Plus, I am also interested in this product and I've heard several people using it. It is DEFINITELY cheaper than heartguard! That $#@! is EXPENSIVE!
    Also, not busting anyone's balls in the responses I have put. Have you had any bad experiences with this product? How often do you use it? weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/6 months

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    southwest missouri
    Posts
    2,592

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap 1 View Post
    Thanks for the info gh32, I have no doubt that it works. Just don't want someone using the wrong dosage and having there dogs organ system shut down. Plus, I am also interested in this product and I've heard several people using it. It is DEFINITELY cheaper than heartguard! That $#@! is EXPENSIVE!
    Also, not busting anyone's balls in the responses I have put. Have you had any bad experiences with this product? How often do you use it? weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/6 months
    I only use it for tapeworms(especially in a pup or something),which thankfully I don't have alot of,but that's all I use it for.For the heartworm prevention I just use 1% ivomec.And for other wormings I use the Safeguard and Valbazen.I haven't had any bad experiance with it though,it's worked and not killed anything,lol

  16. #16

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    It is 1/10th of a cc per 10lbs of weight right?

    0.0015 to 0.003 mg per pound for heartworm prevention; 0.15 mg per pound two times (14 days apart) for skin parasites; and 0.1 mg per pound one time for gastrointestinal parasites.



  17. #17

    Default Re: Equimax paste

    Quote Originally Posted by crushbones View Post
    I bought a big tube that cost 13 dollars and I read the back of it and it said it could treat up to 4 horses
    Where did you find this at? I pay $13 for just a single tube for the horses, would love to buy a few bigger ones that you have for our horses, Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. way of lifes yard set up.... case of copy and paste???
    By crossfire in forum Dog Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 10:28 PM
  2. AMP Paste
    By jeeperino in forum Health & Nutrition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2006, 10:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts