+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: deworming 101

Default deworming 101

Ok, just got a pup, I'm new here. Dog has been dewormed and I dont want to take him to the vet. Doesnt have worms, but to deworm later, can I buy over the counter dewormer that will work just as good as what the vet will give me? I can buy multiple dewormers if need be. Also, how do dogs catch worms and should I deworm adult dogs? I already know that there are many types of worms and alot of people tell me I need to take him to the vet to see exactly what kind he has if he has any, but thats not really an option.

Default Re: deworming 101

the search feature should be able to find exactly the info you're looking for

You can't really see if your dog has worms or not. If you can see the worms then that means he has a bad case of worms, not good. To know for sure, you would have to do a fecal test. They use a microscope for that. I do not take any of my dogs to the vet. I worm every other month and do a wider span of wormer every 6 months and at the end of the year. You need ivomec, pyrantel, piperazine, panacur, and droncit.

The ONLY worms you will be able to see would be Roundworms or the Dipylidium caninum species of Tapeworms. The rest are microscopic.

Piperazine ONLY kills Roundworms so if you are using Pyrantel (kills Roundworms and Hookworms) you would not need Piperazine. Pyrantel trade names are Nemex and Strongid.

Panacur (Safeguard) Genric name Fenbendazole Kills Roundworms, Hookworms, Whipworms and the the species of tapeworms called taenia. Which is not the most common species found in dogs called Dipylidium caninum (from fleas) and that is where Droncit comes in.

Droncit (praziquantel) takes care of Dipylidium caninum species of tapeworms.

Now as far as Ivermectin that can take care of Heartworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms.

Now to take care of everything you actually have to overdose on the heartworm side of it. The Vet I currently tech for says using 0.10ml/cc per 11pds would take care of all of the above (heartworms, roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms)

Now Heartworm prevention needs to be given EVERY month to break up the lifecycle of the heartworm. Now depending on the area of the country you do not need to give it in the winter time because of the cold tempatures. And heartworm is transmitted by mosquitos.

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaATL View Post
    Now to take care of everything you actually have to overdose on the heartworm side of it. The Vet I currently tech for says using 0.10ml/cc per 11pds would take care of all of the above (heartworms, roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms)
    Can I overdose on ivermectin to do that? Or are you suggesting a different heart wormer?

The ONLY worms you will be able to see would be Roundworms or the Dipylidium caninum species of Tapeworms. The rest are microscopic.

Piperazine ONLY kills Roundworms so if you are using Pyrantel (kills Roundworms and Hookworms) you would not need Piperazine. Pyrantel trade names are Nemex and Strongid.

Panacur (Safeguard) Genric name Fenbendazole Kills Roundworms, Hookworms, Whipworms and the the species of tapeworms called taenia. Which is not the most common species found in dogs called Dipylidium caninum (from fleas) and that is where Droncit comes in.

Droncit (praziquantel) takes care of Dipylidium caninum species of tapeworms.

Now as far as Ivermectin that can take care of Heartworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms.

Now Heartworm prevention needs to be given EVERY month to break up the lifecycle of the heartworm. Now depending on the area of the country you do not need to give it in the winter time because of the cold tempatures. And heartworm is transmitted by mosquitos.
    Thats good information. I already got a dewormer called worm x plus. Is that good enough? Or should I switch to another brand. I want to protect my dog from ALL types of worms no matter the chances of her catching them. What should I use?

You will need a few different wormers to get everything. I would recommend all of the ones I posted. As Cynthia stated, depending on where you live will decide how often you need to worm your dogs.

Also can someone please tell me if roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms, and whipworms are the only worms a dog can have or are there more? thanks for all info.

You left out heart worms. There can also be earth worms in the ground under their spot, just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by wardogkennels View Post
    You left out heart worms. There can also be earth worms in the ground under their spot, just kidding
    lol, so theres only 5 main types of worms my dog can catch? This is just a preventative measure, shes an indoor dog. I just dont want her catching something at the park or somewhere.

So I need to buy a dewormers with panacur, pyrantel, droncit, and ivermectin and that will handle all the worm problems my dog can have? Is there something that has all of that in one?

I use drontal It does round, hook, whip, tape, including hydatid tape and sheep measles but it doesnt say heart worm is this something you only get in some countries ?

Can I overdose on ivermectin to do that? Or are you suggesting a different heart wormer?
    Anytime you give more than 4x the recommended amout it is considered an overdose. And the dosage is .006 micrograms per kg.

Ivermectin is fine for heartworm prevention. And people have been giving that dosage for years. But it is considered an overdose for heartworm prevention.

Anytime you give more than 4x the recommended amout it is considered an overdose. And the dosage is .006 micrograms per kg.

Ivermectin is fine for heartworm prevention. And people have been giving that dosage for years. But it is considered an overdose for heartworm prevention.
    So overdosing by 4x will get rid of all the worms?

Quote Originally Posted by supertank View Post
    I use drontal It does round, hook, whip, tape, including hydatid tape and sheep measles but it doesnt say heart worm is this something you only get in some countries ?

where do you get drontal?

New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybuddah View Post
    lol, so theres only 5 main types of worms my dog can catch? This is just a preventative measure, shes an indoor dog. I just dont want her catching something at the park or somewhere.

So I need to buy a dewormers with panacur, pyrantel, droncit, and ivermectin and that will handle all the worm problems my dog can have? Is there something that has all of that in one?
    You really do not need all of those. I only use droncit if I see tapes. I use flea prevention monthly. So that reduces the chances of them getting tapeworms from fleas.

Panacur does rounds, hooks, and whips but you need to give it 3 days in a row.

If you choose to do Ivermectin you do not need any other dewormer along with it. Because it covers rounds, hooks, and whips along with heartworms.

Yea there are other intestinal parasites giardia along with Coccidia to name a few common ones.

So overdosing by 4x will get rid of all the worms?
    At the dosage of 0.10pm/cc ( 1/10th cc/ml) per 11pds it will get rounds,hooks, whips and heartworms. According to the Vet I currently work for. He recommends this to owners with multiple dogs. Buy remember collies and collie mixes can not tolerate Ivermectin at those dosages.

And War that dosage of Ivermectin is well over 4x the recommended dose.

At the dosage of 0.10pm/cc ( 1/10th cc/ml) per 11pds it will get rounds,hooks, whips and heartworms. According to the Vet I currently work for. He recommends this to owners with multiple dogs. Buy remember collies and collie mixes can not tolerate Ivermectin at those dosages.

And War that dosage of Ivermectin is well over 4x the recommended dose.
    Thanks

Thank you. I love this site.

"Ivermectin" ? is that a orally taken or injectable? I don't have any clue. but if it treats heart worms it good. tnx