+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Thumbs down Keeping Those Fleas Away

I'd like to hear your opinions voiced on this subject!

What I do is pull the dog off the chain, get you some dish soap with alot of suds like some Ajax and wash the hell out of them and dry them off, once your finished use some Gard Star 40%, 3cc's down the neck to the ass end for dogs upto 50 lbs.

This should keep you clean for about a month. The next time you have to use the gard star you don't have to give the bath, I recommend you doing this just for the first time.

MMK Guest

Default Re: ~ Keeping Them Damn Fleas Away ~

could u share more info on gaurd star? and were to get it. i have been using advantix and it only seems to work for about a week and a half then the flees are back. and then it starts to look like they are getting mange but it is just the flees. been trying everything and even took them to the vet and no solutions are really helping.

thanks for your contrabution
    MMK

3. Default Re: ~ Keeping Them Damn Fleas Away ~

Yo, here is the link

This is some strong $#@!, you can buy it at tractor supply.

This has done it all for me... flys, ticks, fleas ect.. ect....

Where I live in Florida the damn fleas are terrible but my biggest problem is killing the flea eggs in the ground I can get them off the dogs for a while but I cant win the battle with the ones in the yard. I can control them but canbeat the little $#@!s...
    Quote Originally Posted by MMK
    could u share more info on gaurd star? and were to get it. i have been using advantix and it only seems to work for about a week and a half then the flees are back. and then it starts to look like they are getting mange but it is just the flees. been trying everything and even took them to the vet and no solutions are really helping.

thanks for your contrabution
    MMK

To kill the flea larvae...put down SALT in the chain spaces...the kind you buy at the feed store in 50lb bags...its best done early spring...but do it now and it will help.
    BB

Post Re: ~ Keeping Them Damn Fleas Away ~

Quote Originally Posted by BBK
    To kill the flea larvae...put down SALT in the chain spaces...the kind you buy at the feed store in 50lb bags...its best done early spring...but do it now and it will help.
    BB
    I've always used salt and it does a good job. Also what I do from what I learned from a friend thats been in the dogs for ages is every few days I wipe my dogs down with apple cider vinegar mixed with a lil water. Its worked for me and it saves money if your on a budget!

I`ll try the salt idea and see what happens thanks for the suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock Em Out
    I've always used salt and it does a good job. Also what I do from what I learned from a friend thats been in the dogs for ages is every few days I wipe my dogs down with apple cider vinegar mixed with a lil water. Its worked for me and it saves money if your on a budget!

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    I`ll try the salt idea and see what happens thanks for the suggestion.
    Now don't expect a miracle with the salt, as its best when put down in early spring before the larvae are hatching off...if you put it down now, I'd put it down again in say 3-4mos maybe?? A 50lb bag should be enough to do at least 2 chain spaces coated pretty heavily.
    BB

I have learned in my 47 years that miracles only happen in the movies...
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK
    Now don't expect a miracle with the salt, as its best when put down in early spring before the larvae are hatching off...if you put it down now, I'd put it down again in say 3-4mos maybe?? A 50lb bag should be enough to do at least 2 chain spaces coated pretty heavily.
    BB

You can also was you dogs with Dawn dishwashing liquid and a capful of Orignal Pine Sol. I haven't had fleas in years and this along with the salt is all I've used. The salt also helps keep worms in the ground down to a minimum.

I did not realize that salt help out the worms as well on the ground...good info.

BB

Question Re: ~ Keeping Them Damn Fleas Away ~

Keep the worms in the ground down to a minium? Im sorry but I dont understand this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LA_Headhunters
    You can also was you dogs with Dawn dishwashing liquid and a capful of Orignal Pine Sol. I haven't had fleas in years and this along with the salt is all I've used. The salt also helps keep worms in the ground down to a minimum.

i bleach and 7-dust everything every couple months....keep my yard mowed.....and leaves or brush raked....and put cedar shavings in the houses....works for me....a good yard maintenance routine is really helpful in controlling parasites

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    Keep the worms in the ground down to a minium? Im sorry but I dont understand this.
    If you have a dog that had a bad case of worms. when he $#@!s worms and their larvea stay in the ground for X amount of time. The salt sterilizes the ground and kills most of the worms and their larvea. Vet told me this few years back and I really haven't had a problem after I get one cleaned out/

Default Re: ~ Keeping Those Fleas Away ~

What kind of salt do you use? Just regular table Salt?

Salt 50lbs bag from the feed store.

MMK Guest

lots of good info in this thread. flees are the only thing i have ever had a problem with. and have been through the tractor supply flee meds (sprays, flee dips, etc), been to the vet and got advantix. everything just seemed to be a temporary fix and after a few days to a week they were all over the place in the house, all over the yard on my dogs. hell one of my females i recently learn has an allergic reation to the flees and i have been treating her with mange medicine as it apeared to be mange. i will pick up a bottle of that stuff next week when i go to tractor supply to get feed. how much does a bottle of that cost and how big is it..
    MMK

Thumbs down Re: ~ Keeping Those Fleas Away ~

another great recipe is to mix 4 oz permithrin with i qt pinsol i qt mineral oil and two gallons water works just as well as biospot and a lot cheaper just sponge down entire dog also to kill fleas ticks etc on the ground depending on the state you live in you can buy diazanon and spray entire premise kills evering thing just make sure to move your dog for at least 24 hrs or untill ground is dry...

Post Re: ~ Keeping Those Fleas Away ~

Quote Originally Posted by boondock
    another great recipe is to mix 4 oz permithrin with i qt pinsol i qt mineral oil and two gallons water works just as well as biospot and a lot cheaper just sponge down entire dog also to kill fleas ticks etc on the ground depending on the state you live in you can buy diazanon and spray entire premise kills evering thing just make sure to move your dog for at least 24 hrs or untill ground is dry...
    Never tried that...sounds like a good one. Thanks for your input bro

I gave my dog garlic/brewers yeast tablets and had no problem with fleas.I guess everyone has there own solution just stick with what works best for you