+ Reply to Thread

Default Dog Losing Weight and Muscle Mass in Hind Legs?

Hello
    I recently noticed my male lost alot of weight quick and almost all of the muscle on his hind legs. I wormed him and started feeding him high Protein/Fat Food. He is Gaining some weight back but then i noticed today that when he walks its looks almost like his legs are out of socket. Not sure what this could be coming from he hasn't been injured or anything so i don't think it is anything like that. He doesn't seem to be in pain but then again i know that dogs sometimes will not show any signs of pain. Does anyone know what this could be?

Default Re: Dog Losing Weight and Muscle Mass in Hind Legs?

I have seen dogs that can appear fine but have knees that are not held tight enough and will slip - others have it to the extent that you can see the leg bow out when the walk. Usually in overdone stocky dogs but not always. Probably needs an x-ray to check it out...

Is he old enough for cancer?

Take him to the vet. Also this thread might be better in the health section.

What wormer did you use, not all dewormers work for all worms. It could really just be a infestation of whip worms. Weed out the small problems first if you have time. Safeguard/Fenbendezole is the only wormer that removes virtually all intestinal worms. JMO

take him to the vet, not trying to be a dick but if i saw something that freaked out right to the vet i would go! even if it was just worms by the sounds of how long it has been going on and bad it has become it could not be a number of things. i wouldnt want to worry about it id just want a answer asap! if the leg is outa the socket you arnt gonna fix that yourself?

I asked how old, I had a older $#@! get cancer and it ate her up pretty quick.

It could be a degenerative disease. How old is the dog? Many dogs as they age loose muscle mass. Hard to say really. Get him to a vet. There aer so many factors that can cause this.