+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    My pit is almost 2 years old, and I'm starting to condition him. He just stands there and looks at the springpole, and doesn't know what to do. Can anybody help me? What's the trick to get him started?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    i saw in the thread that its good to use hides cos dogs go crazy over hides. so.. get some hides

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    if u have hide just put it on the ground and let ur dog chew and play with it for a little bit. work ur way up to some light tug. then put it on the springpole and play tug. then set it up very low and let the dog play by itself. keep slightly raising it and praise and reward ur dog when he/she shows interest. you have to teach them what u want them to do

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    Does he like working the Flirt Pole? If he does try using that same bait. Tease him with it for a minute then put it on the Spring.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Take a guess!
    Posts
    1,319

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    Having the young dog get use to a collar and lead, harness, hide work (which leads to flirt and spring pole work), chain breaking them, running a mill and running beside a bike and tug-o-war are all good activities which should have been done when the dog was young and growing up.....it prepares them and saves you alot of headache for future.

    YIS

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SOUTH OV ENGLAND,UK
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    Quote Originally Posted by pit4ever View Post
    i saw in the thread that its good to use hides cos dogs go crazy over hides. so.. get some hides
    Hello mate,i used rabbit+fox hides tied to the end of the dogs lead which adds to the exitement.Tease him and then do sweeps with with it.My dog goes from stanstill to flat-out in a spilt second giving it great speed out of the starting blocks.After a while a tied the hide to an inner-tube for stretch and tied this to a rope hanging from a tree and now the dog works this quite happily.All the best.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    yea im going thru the same thing with my two yr old and the slat mill ive just about given up but i know better next time guess road work for her also cow hids are great she did the same thing just looked at it untill bobo the staff "neighbors dog" came over and showed her how to work it out now she all for it

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedMettle View Post
    Does he like working the Flirt Pole? If he does try using that same bait. Tease him with it for a minute then put it on the Spring.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    I had the same problem. I used a coon hide and worked it on the flirtpole awhile and let him chew on it held it up and made him jump for it then stuck it on the pringpole he loves hides. He wont really work a rope toy as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusettes
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    My dog was the same he had drive, but fell in love with the hide. I first started off with the cow hide on the flirt. Im pretty sure he'll work that spring pole now. As far as the slat goes, some dogs will run it and others wont.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    I started with a rope toy and that lasted maybe 5 minutes. I went to old socks and they seem to be working great. I keep hearing about hides and I know that stillwater sells cow hide on the web site. My boy is more interested in something that he can really clamp on to and rope is not one of them. Try socks....

  12. #12

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    Quote Originally Posted by BDuBois View Post
    I started with a rope toy and that lasted maybe 5 minutes. I went to old socks and they seem to be working great. I keep hearing about hides and I know that stillwater sells cow hide on the web site. My boy is more interested in something that he can really clamp on to and rope is not one of them. Try socks....
    yes same here , my female will work a pair of pants to no end, if your dog has drive , it just boils down to what he/ she loves... try a couple diffrent things

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    My boy started a little late too.. we moved when he was about 1. i quickly built an elaborate springpole and assumed he would take to it. i was wrong. it started with tug of war but he didnt go all crazy. then i did the flirt pole.. and got him really running at it. then i put it on an extended line spring pole until he.really started pulling it. then i put it in its right spot. i also used many different types of springs. at first they were very bungee like. ultimately we ended up using two garage door springs.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Help getting my dog to use a springpole

    Quote Originally Posted by nerotxc View Post
    My boy started a little late too.. we moved when he was about 1. i quickly built an elaborate springpole and assumed he would take to it. i was wrong. it started with tug of war but he didnt go all crazy. then i did the flirt pole.. and got him really running at it. then i put it on an extended line spring pole until he.really started pulling it. then i put it in its right spot. i also used many different types of springs. at first they were very bungee like. ultimately we ended up using two garage door springs.

    Do you have any pics of your set up?

Similar Threads

  1. How do I get my Dog to use a springpole?!?!
    By semo in forum Dog Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 02:53 PM
  2. Springpole?? No Thanks!!!
    By jeeperino in forum Dog Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
  3. Springpole usa
    By purplepig in forum Products & Equipment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-09-2006, 03:55 AM
  4. springpole
    By kutiee25 in forum Dog Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2006, 02:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts