+ Reply to Thread

Default TX: Neighbor Shoots Family's Dog

Neighbor Shoots Family's Dog

Reported by: Tim Johnston
    Saturday, April 03 2010

"I got text message, from my son, saying someone had shot my dog in forehead," starts Hortencia Martinez.

Her daughter, Magda Arredondo, described the scene, "He [Zeus, the dog] fell and was still moving and wagging tail. He was like that for two minutes."

She continued to say, "Zeus just ran out, barked a couple of times, and he [the neighbor] just shot him."

Hortencia says the whole thing happened in her own front yard. What makes it worse, she says, is that Zeus was just a playful pup and never bothered anyone. Vickie Slack, was just a few doors down when everything happened, and she saw the pit bull just moments before. "The guy told them to get the dog in the house, and of the little girls said 'We're trying,' then the guy shot the dog."

However, that's not how the neighbor, who shot the dog saw it. The man, who wished to remain anonymous, says the dog was a menace, and in the moments before pulling the trigger he felt threatened. He describes everything by saying the dog was bothering a lady walking down the street, and he felt the dog was about to attack, until it was scared away. The neighbor says he even threw a stick to spook the dog away. That's when he said he went in and got his shotgun. "I went over and stood on the sidewalk [in front of the house]. I said 'Could you put your dog away, the dog was out chasing people.' The dog at that time came zooming out, charging at me, and so I reacted and I shot the dog."

The neighbor says he only got the gun in case, because, "It's a pit so I can't take any chances."

He also admits he didn't want to shoot the dog, but felt forced. "I'm remorseful, now, I don't know what else to do. I went over there to say 'Put the dog away.' The dog is always out."

Still Magda still wonders, "Why would he do that?"

Abilene Police officers did come to the scene, today. They took statements and photographs, but didn't file any charges. However, an investigation is now pending.

Neighbor Shoots Family's Dog - BigCountryHomePage

Default Re: TX: Neighbor Shoots Family's Dog

what a punk,that was a pup.he wasnt in fear just an ass.

It is better for the "pit bull" to get shot than having it remain loose and having a risk of attacking someones poodle and getting bad press. Serves the person right for not keeping the dog leashed. I feel bad for the dog. But not the owners. But it had to be done.

so if your pup ran out the door you would be greatfull that the neghibor shot it on your yard?

In front of your little brother?

Quote Originally Posted by outrightmike View Post
    so if your pup ran out the door you would be greatfull that the neghibor shot it on your yard?

Who said that the dog was contained in the persons yard? According to this article, it says

...the dog was bothering a lady walking down the street...
    ...the dog was out chasing people...
    Its not like the dog was contained on its own property. it was running at large. I am sick of these news articles of pit bull attacks... contributing to bsl. It is a better headline "pit bull shot...."

than "pit bull attacks woman's poodle on a walk."

But if it were to happen to me(hypothetically speaking since its extremely unlikely to happen to me. Some may say I have a higher chance of winning the lottery than my dog getting loose.) I would be pissed, but nothing I will do. I would deserve it if my dog got loose...
    Last edited by Jelet; 04-04-2010 at 07:01 PM.

OK.the pup was shot in the owners yard. nether the shooter nor the owner never said it left the yard.

OK.the pup was shot in the owners yard. nether the shooter nor the owner never said it left the yard.
    Well the girl says "the whole thing happened in there yard." But if you read more, it says

However, that's not how the neighbor, who shot the dog saw it.
    Sounds like the owner of the dogs are just pissed that they shot it and is making up lies trying to act 100% innocent.

The neighbor says he even threw a stick to spook the dog away. That's when he said he went in and got his shotgun
    so let me get this straight. the neighbor stood at the sidewalk in front of the dogs house. and threw sticks at it? ?????

, the dog was out chasing people
    how can the dog be chasing people if its in its own yard? hmmmmmmm

2 sides of the story.

But if the dog was in its own yard not bothering anyone(even though I feel it should be leashed or something, even on its own property) Then it would be "messed up." If the dog remained its own property not bothering anyone. And then some dude some came up and shot it. Yes I would not be greatful and would be pissed as hell. But thats not the entire story.

thats not what the shooter says.
    Last edited by Jelet; 04-04-2010 at 07:20 PM.

The neighbor says he even threw a stick to spook the dog away. That's when he said he went in and got his shotgun. "I went over and stood on the sidewalk [in front of the house].

Neighbor Shoots Family's Dog - BigCountryHomePage[/QUOTE]

Whatever the story might be....it's not right on either side.

However, I feel the adult who shot the dog in a residential neighborhood has to be an ass.

No matter the breed in this story, this man, an adult, approached a child, and told her to bring her dog in, and she replied that she was trying.

OK, if I felt threatened by a dog that was outside, I'm going to stay inside, and perhaps call the neighbor, the AC or the police. I'm not going to go grab a gun, go out and shoot the dog, in front of a child. Can you imagine how this is going to divide the neighborhood? Can you imagine how that little girl feels tonight?

Story seems fishy.

But if the dog was on its property not bothering anyone. then i agree that it was messed up and the shooter is a $#@!.

but story seems fishy as hell. so w/e forget it. unless better/more proof is updated on what really happened.

Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    Neighbor Shoots Family's Dog

Reported by: Tim Johnston
    Saturday, April 03 2010

"I got text message, from my son, saying someone had shot my dog in forehead," starts Hortencia Martinez.

Her daughter, Magda Arredondo, described the scene, "He [Zeus, the dog] fell and was still moving and wagging tail. He was like that for two minutes."

She continued to say, "Zeus just ran out, barked a couple of times, and he [the neighbor] just shot him."

Hortencia says the whole thing happened in her own front yard. What makes it worse, she says, is that Zeus was just a playful pup and never bothered anyone. Vickie Slack, was just a few doors down when everything happened, and she saw the pit bull just moments before. "The guy told them to get the dog in the house, and of the little girls said 'We're trying,' then the guy shot the dog."

However, that's not how the neighbor, who shot the dog saw it. The man, who wished to remain anonymous, says the dog was a menace, and in the moments before pulling the trigger he felt threatened. He describes everything by saying the dog was bothering a lady walking down the street, and he felt the dog was about to attack, until it was scared away. The neighbor says he even threw a stick to spook the dog away. That's when he said he went in and got his shotgun. "I went over and stood on the sidewalk [in front of the house]. I said 'Could you put your dog away, the dog was out chasing people.' The dog at that time came zooming out, charging at me, and so I reacted and I shot the dog."

The neighbor says he only got the gun in case, because, "It's a pit so I can't take any chances."

He also admits he didn't want to shoot the dog, but felt forced. "I'm remorseful, now, I don't know what else to do. I went over there to say 'Put the dog away.' The dog is always out."

Still Magda still wonders, "Why would he do that?"

Abilene Police officers did come to the scene, today. They took statements and photographs, but didn't file any charges. However, an investigation is now pending.

Neighbor Shoots Family's Dog - BigCountryHomePage

ppl like this cause problems for folks here texas. they don't need a dog like that. Hard lesson to learn.

Whatever the story might be....it's not right on either side.

However, I feel the adult who shot the dog in a residential neighborhood has to be an ass.

No matter the breed in this story, this man, an adult, approached a child, and told her to bring her dog in, and she replied that she was trying.

OK, if I felt threatened by a dog that was outside, I'm going to stay inside, and perhaps call the neighbor, the AC or the police. I'm not going to go grab a gun, go out and shoot the dog, in front of a child. Can you imagine how this is going to divide the neighborhood? Can you imagine how that little girl feels tonight?
    parents should not leave children in charge of a APBT.

what a punk,that was a pup.he wasnt in fear just an ass.
    How do we know that? It's likely that the dog was a bully & 99.9% of bully pups (pup here being 6-12 mos) are as big as a full grown APBT. Probably had the ears cropped & the whole nine. So while it might have *been* a pup, it might not have *looked* like a pup, esp. to a non-bull breed person.

Long story short - the dog was loose. The dog charged someone while barking at them. The dog got shot. Sad for the family, even worse for the dog, but that is what happens when you let a "pit bull" run loose.

RIP Zeus.

Blessings ...
    Last edited by ABK; 04-04-2010 at 08:22 PM.

im pretty sure that you guys have front yards in the states aswell.
    if it was still in the front yard then it was still on their land, he had the time to run inside and get his gun and come back out stand on the footpath and shoot the dog.
    couldnt have gone to far then.

where is the old lady it was harrassing? you would think she would have something to say about such serious allegations.
    The guy even said "i knew it was a pit so i couldnt trust it"or something along those lines.
    sounds like hes a hater to me.
    and he wouldve done it anyway just needed an excuse.

simms i've always enjoyed your posts.

short, sweet, and to the point.

can't argue with simple logic.

Quote Originally Posted by simms View Post
    parents should not leave children in charge of a APBT.

I'm going to say this will be a very safe bet. This dog was not an APBT, but more on the lines of what you would like to call a pet bull.

I'm going to say this will be a very safe bet. This dog was not an APBT, but more on the lines of what you would like to call a pet bull.
    i didnt get it,

and?

Most likely yes.

From the pic in the article it looked like a young American Bully & from what I garnered from the article, the dog was not just running about in it's yard, but running at large harassing people.

If the dog is just running about willy-nilly it would give someone a chance to get a weapon to defend themselves. And in the article if you will note he says he went over to take care of the problem by asking the kids to put the dog up but carried the gun to protect himself as 99.99% of JQP would have. Then the dog came charging toward him barking & he shot it. (this comes directly from the article)

Now I don't know about where everyone else is at, but in U.S. cities the space between someone's front yard & the sidewalk is minimal. A charging aggressive dog would be on you before you could raise a finger if you waited for the dog to get to the sidewalk before taking action to defend yourself.

As for him "not taking any chances b/c it's a pit" that has absolutely nothing to do with hate, but everything to do with fear. I'd hazard to say most of JQP out there are scared to death of pit bulls b/c of the horror stories they heard in the news.

As for the "old lady," she might not want to get involved. This event took place in a U.S. city & as someone who was raised in a city here in the U.S. one of the rules you live by is to "mind your own business." It is not uncommon at all for city dwellers who have witnessed a crime or even been subject to a crime not to come forth.

Either way, it's bad for everyone involved, esp. poor Zeus.

Blessings ...