+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Keep Water from freezing

Are there any tricks to keep the dogs water from freezing? I tried some salt in the water today. Don't know how it's going to work until morning.

Default Re: Keep Water from freezing

try putting warmer water but idk salt lol idk if my dog would drink that

i really dont think salt is a very good idea at all just keep bustin ice out and givin fresh water.

The warmer the water the quicker it freezes.

yep, Mpemba effect

pour cold water,if it freezes,replace it

get a candle warmer an keep it under the dogs water bowl.

make a circulation device, as long as the water is moving it shouldnt freeze (depending on where you live). or put a fish tank aerator in the bowl an that will keep the water flowing

You can't be serious. Sounds like a recipe for a fire and wasted money. Candle warmer and fish tank aerator.

Doesnt salt water dehydrate you?

The only real answer is replace often. I live where it's no thing to see 10 inches of snow fall in 3 hours. Hell we got almost 3 feet in just a day and a half here lol. Just change it every 3 to 5 hours and you'll be fine.
    And yes salt water will dehydrate you.
    Last edited by AGK; 01-07-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMWAPBT View Post
    try putting warmer water but idk salt lol idk if my dog would drink that
    Salt is a big no, The dog will drink the water but with each drink the dog takes it will need more and more and will be dehydrated in a hurry. Same reason why you never drink ocean water is the reason why you never give a dog salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by tony413 View Post
    get a candle warmer an keep it under the dogs water bowl.

make a circulation device, as long as the water is moving it shouldnt freeze (depending on where you live). or put a fish tank aerator in the bowl an that will keep the water flowing
    This is also a fast way to burn down a lot of things and really it is a lot of work for nothing.

If your keeping your dogs in the winter outside, Put some warm water in with the dogs feed. The dog will eat it enjoy the warmth and will get the water at the same time. They don't drink near the amount they do during normal conditions and most often this is all they will need through out the day. With that being said though this doesn't mean you don't offer fresh water, About all you can do is check it every 30 minutes to a hour and keep moving it around if it isn't frozen. If it is starting to freeze just keep breaking it up and if you get a lot of ice or it freezes solid on you just replace it. Also put it in a bigger container so it will take longer to freeze and you will get by with just sloshing it around and things like that.

Where I am at is getting very cold over the next couple days and this is what I have done and have always done and it works. I will be out again in the not to distant future checking on them and making sure everything is ok even though the temperature will be 14 degrees and the wind chill will be making it feel like -01. Nobody said keeping them was easy and what you do during adverse times is what makes or breaks you and your dogs and shows how serious a person really is about their dogs.

Sounds good everybody. Your words seems soothing oldtimer. Must be something in your spirit.

Heated horse water buckets at the feed store. Don't think they would cost much.

in the winter i feed twice a day instead of just once and i add about a cup of warm water to the feed, besides that they usually dont try to drink much but i make sure to change the water out often

man , i honestly think my dogs wouldnt make it in anything below 30 degrees. my dog shivers if it 40 and is not working. i dunno see how they make exspecially yall living in canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tank1 View Post
    Are there any tricks to keep the dogs water from freezing? I tried some salt in the water today. Don't know how it's going to work until morning.
    I just have to keep giving fresh water,I know it sucks but really the only good ways I can think of water not freezing is either keep the water moving,which isn't possible in a water tub or stay above 32 degrees.Other than that,busting ice and re watering is the only way.I'll be happy when spring gets here,I hate winter.

do ya have kids? make them change the water,thats what i do

Quote Originally Posted by bdub View Post
    do ya have kids? make them change the water,thats what i do
    send them my way i will put them to work i have a yard full of dog $#@! and plenty of watering to do

I got like 15 smaller steel bowls 5 dogs....I break em and rotote the bowls...works in Colorado

Popper I'm in the south but we have had some cold weather here this past week. The water wasn't frozen this morning guys so the salt must have worked but I changed it out because I wasn't thinking about the dehydration. They aren't drinking that much anyway. It maybe because it's all freezing. We'll make though.