+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default breeding 10yr old male to a 9 year old $#@!

guys any opinions regarding this? we had here already a 9 year old $#@! which we're waiting for her to in heat we plan to bred her with a 10 year old male, is there a chance for this breeding to take? is it safe for both dogs to bred with their age?
    reply will much appreciated !

thanks

Default Re: breeding 10yr old male to a 9 year old $#@!

If they are both healthy, then try it. The best way to know if there's a chance it will work is to have a semen analysis done on your male. You should also start him on Tribulus or Sperm Up to increase sperm count.

3. Default Re: breeding 10yr old male to a 9 year old $#@!

I would never breed a $#@! in that age. There are too many risks that i wouldnt do on my dog...

Quote Originally Posted by Franzi216 View Post
    I would never breed a $#@! in that age. There are too many risks that i wouldnt do on my dog...
    I agree. Too many risks.

take a chance she may have a small litter
    specialy if they are good dogs and from good stock I say go for it

breeding a male at that age is no big deal but breeding a $#@! that old could kill her.
    frank, like many would tell you to do it but thats cause they have no stake in it. Its easy to tell you to without having any attachment to the individuals involved. how are those 2 bred?

Quote Originally Posted by therealjudge View Post
    breeding a male at that age is no big deal but breeding a $#@! that old could kill her.
    frank, like many would tell you to do it but thats cause they have no stake in it. Its easy to tell you to without having any attachment to the individuals involved. how are those 2 bred?
    Wow judge

you know maybe I should have said if it was me

because IF IT WAS ME I would not just to breed but to preserve and I would have to know the the two would throw top notch dogs as in seen the
    results in prior breedings and know that it works

breedin a $#@! that old is fine i guess if you dont care about her at all ... frank, your answers dont even suprise me anymore.

Judge ....

I first hand know the risks of breeding a dog 3 years old and don't think I would take the chance on one that is 9. Don't know your situation though or the dog you speak of. If I did, she would be at the vets office a lot to make sure things went well. Probably have the pup delivered. Too risky for one that old, in my opinion...

l WAS ALLWAYS TOLL WHEN YOU GO OLD WlTH A BlTCH YOU GO YOUNG WlTH A MALE

If both dogs are in top shape no problem that is why the right tests need to be done. My dog's father was bred at 11 his sperm count is as if he was 2 years old. So its the quality of the dogs you have that will make that breeding risky or not...

BTW thanks for all the replies

I personally wouldn't breed a female that old.

However, they are your dogs, and if you feel it's a breeding that you need to do to preserve the traits you want, then it's up to you, and just be careful. Your dogs, your property, your decision.

i would give it a shot. oldest $#@! i had bred was 7 & no problems out of her. she's getting up in age & her hunting days are over same with the male. worse case you lose a 9 year old $#@! that looks good at the end of a chain. upside you will have one hell of a nice RB/J/R cross to build on..................PS did you do that breeding in the past & how did it work.

i disagree ben, if you aint got what you wanted outta a$#@! by then, then whos fault is it? not hers, so why not let the ol girl live her golden years in peace and not put her through that? im a strong believer in lettin the old ones who obviously have earned their keep (and she has if shes 9 and still on the yard considered bein bred) have it easy and just be a good old dog. ive seen old $#@!es produce well, and decent sized litters even, but never agreed with it.

18. Default Re: breeding 10yr old male to a 9 year old $#@!

Holy crap, there is a lot of bad advice being given here. I am pretty sure none of the people who gave their opinion are experts in canine genetics. I'm not an genetics expert either but I do consider myself knowledgeable in pitdog genetics and having spent over 20 years in the game, I do know a thing or two about breeding. Remember, our breed is not the same as other breeds.

If the female is healthy enough to whelp a litter and you need the blood as part of your breeding program, do it. Best practices for breeding, in general, are to whelp two litters in a row, skip a heat, whelp two litters in a row, skip a heat, and so on. This is a proven fact and is supported by plenty of genetic research. I have had females produce well beyond the age of 10 using this method with absolutely no detriment to their health.

Now go out a read a few professional journals on canine genetics people!

IDT you read my whole post woody lol. maybe he ain't had them dogs that long retired dogs get sold all the time for folks brood. & just because a dog don't produce in the first breeding or 2 don't mean it won't produce on 3 or 4 with a different stud. sometime it cliks sometime it don't. for me if a dog ain't working it's still working & earning it's keep. weather it's a catch dog or a brood dog it has a job to do. what bulldog wants to wait around & die ? $#@! woody the old dogs i have had on the yard still wanted to dance like they were pups. your telling me you wouldn't breed honeybunch at 9?

Quote Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
    Best practices for breeding, in general, are to whelp two litters in a row, skip a heat, whelp two litters in a row, skip a heat, and so on.
    Great advice! And then you make this out of a female, a breeding machine:

People like you shouldn't own dogs at all. Breeding a female every heat and over 8 years of age is just WRONG. No matter how you try to justify it and how much "experience" you have, it's wrong and shouldn't be done. Give a female time to recover after a litter of pups, give her time to get back into shape, pitbulls usually have large litters and that takes a lot out of a female. And breeding a female older than 8 years shouldn't even be legal, it's an older dog, just let a dog retire and have peace in her senior years.

But i guess for people that see their dogs only as a tool it's easy to do what you do.