+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flys and nats

Default flys and nats

this is definitly the worse i have ever seen flys and nats. i sprayed the yard down with triazicide spectacide on sunday and the yard is still swarming with flys and nats. the ACV on the dogs is not being a verry effective deterent, any tips on how to keep the flys and nats out of yard and off of dogs. i was thinking about going and getting some horse spray at the feed store.

Default Re: flys and nats

Try Bronco fly spray or SWAT fly repellent

I use both of those SD and they work well. The only draw back is the re-applying. My dogs rub in the dirt after I put it on. lol

http://www.monsterflytrap.com/

a member on another forum suggested this

http://www.monsterflytrap.com/

I just ordered one. I'll let you know how well it works.

Update: I've had this thing up about two weeks now and fly's are attracted to it, just not enough to keep them off the dogs so far. It has been really rainy here too though. I noticed it works better when it's hot and dry outside.

CynthiaATL Guest

We use these. You can purchase them at Walmart. Or online at Jeffers. We live in a forrest and in Florida. Flies are bad. These are the only ones that we have tried that works. And are strudy. No dogs had any fly strikes last year. But I do know that these bags were full. I have tried some from tractor Supply they are worthless.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/...WQ1Q4NECNSC6F3

I used those and they attract more flies to my yard than they actually catch. I've tried just about every fly trap available for purchase. I've also tried the ACV. It all depends on where your dog is located. My dogs are in an area that is mostly sunny and dry(Texas) which is prone to having more flies. The best bet to keep flies to a minimum is to constantly pick up after your dogs. I also apply bronco spray to their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaATL View Post
    We use these. You can purchase them at Walmart. Or online at Jeffers. We live in a forrest and in Florida. Flies are bad. These are the only ones that we have tried that works. And are strudy. No dogs had any fly strikes last year. But I do know that these bags were full. I have tried some from tractor Supply they are worthless.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/...WQ1Q4NECNSC6F3

we use swat in the blue can for our dogs. also, back in the day, before i learned to despise kennels, we'd put fly tags around the kennels. we put them on their collars at first, but it's a big pain. so now we just stick w/ swat. it works great, and also helps to heal any bites they might have from the flies.

CynthiaATL Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
    I used those and they attract more flies to my yard than they actually catch. I've tried just about every fly trap available for purchase. I've also tried the ACV. It all depends on where your dog is located. My dogs are in an area that is mostly sunny and dry(Texas) which is prone to having more flies. The best bet to keep flies to a minimum is to constantly pick up after your dogs. I also apply bronco spray to their ears.
    Well we put them up and in an hour they were full. We live in the Florida panhandle where it is humid, hot, sunny and swampy. And they work for us. Maybe it is the difference in climate. Who knows but our dogs did not need anything topical to prevent flies. None of them had any issues. We change them out every month. Bronco spray is water soluble so you ahve to apply it daily to be most effective. That is the same with swat.

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaATL View Post
    Well we put them up and in an hour they were full. We live in the Florida panhandle where it is humid, hot, sunny and swampy. And they work for us. Maybe it is the difference in climate. Who knows but our dogs did not need anything topical to prevent flies. None of them had any issues. We change them out every month. Bronco spray is water soluble so you ahve to apply it daily to be most effective. That is the same with swat.
    No doubt they will definatly be full. I had four rescue fly traps full within a weeks time but as I previously stated, "they attracted more flies than they caught".

Keep your dogs areas clean and your problem will be a little less than so.

CynthiaATL Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
    No doubt they will definatly be full. I had four rescue fly traps full within a weeks time but as I previously stated, "they attracted more flies than they caught".

Keep your dogs areas clean and your problem will be a little less than so.
    I agree about keeping the spots clean and that will help. It took 1 hour for them to fill. The first time. Then we changed them all out and it now takes about a month. We have them between every dog we have about 10 on the yard. And the whole point is that the bait attracts them. But when I walk out to the dogs spots I do not see any flies around at all. However when I turn my porch light on by the house I am bombarded by bug. But I live in a State Forrest there are all kinds of creep crawley things out here.

Again this has worked for us. And we had no need for anything topical on the dogs. Again this is my experience. Sorry it did not work for you. But it works great for us. The op asked for opinions and I said what worked for us in our environment. Could be the difference in our climates. I live in a swampy climate. And by a creek.
    Last edited by CynthiaATL; 05-25-2009 at 02:08 PM.

how about horse flies? w/ the cows in such close proximity to the dogs spots, i have been chasing horse flies away. maybe i will try those bags

Quote Originally Posted by scratchin dog View Post
    Try Bronco fly spray or SWAT fly repellent
    +1 for Bronco

I also use cow tags on the collars if the flies are really bad. I just zip tie them onto the metal D-ring.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/y-tek-pytho...-ear-tags.html this is what we use & all you do is put it on the collar of each dog. we also change the tags mid summer