+ Reply to Thread

Default Best way to stop a cut ear from bleeding?

What works? The fastest and cheapest. I've glued it, had it stitched used a styptic pencil its hard to find the powder. Trying to see what has worked for others. Thanks

Default Re: Best way to stop a cut ear from bleeding?

No short cuts to proper healing, stitch it.

Super glue or better yet, skin adhesive usually works pretty good depending on how bad the ear is, if it's too open to use super glue then stitching it would be the best way to go, and don't forget KEEP IT CLEAN AND KEEP IT DRY.

Depending on how bad the cut it you may want to staple it and then use the skin glue I like to drop penicillin over the wound before I close it up.

I would take the dog to the vet if it's bad. But that's me. Everyone has their own way to do things. If something else works without the chance of infection setting in, then go for it!

That is a $#@!e since they shake their head a lot because it bothers them and then it starts bleeding again. Ours had a nick out of the tip. Wasn't anything to stitch. Head wounds always bleed a lot. We had nothing at first and I came home and my old man had a maxi pad folded over the end of the ear and had it vet wrapped to his head to hold it still. Pink wrap at that. It worked for then. I went and got human bandaid stuff. Liquid skin, 2x3 pads, stuff like that and kept him inside (it was summer, minimize fly contact). Stuff always happens to me on the weekend when the vet is closed. If it isn't life threatening, I wait until Monday to go to the vet. Those emergency clinics will suck you dry monetarily.

ive used flour, works good on bleeding tail tips too

you need to build yourself a first aid kit. & learn some basic vet skills when you own dogs it will save money & just might save your dogs life.

Here's a sticky I did on first aid kits:

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31463