+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Best Wood Shavings To Use in Dog house

Just wondering what chips are best to put in the houses in stead of towels or blankets, Read something somewhere about choking hazard but they don't tend to eat them anyway!
    But some shaving give the dogs problems also i have heard?
    But if it ain't dusty it should be good size chips for horses i can get them by the paper bag bale like a hay bale. but just need opinions on which type I live in Canada We have pretty much every type of tree

Default Re: Best Wood Shavings To Use in Dog house

IMO you can't beat cedar shavings..

I use cedar too. I haven't had any problems with the dog eating them, they seem to pass just fine...I've seen it in his crap lol

In my dog houses I use straw from the feed store. It seems to work well with all my dogs and it's easier to clean up.

Cedar it is! I could put some straw on the bottom of the barrel kinda slick with just shavings in the barrel if i get horse grade bedding it shouldn't cause respitory problems via; Mold, Dust and dampness
    Last edited by Buck E. Owens; 03-30-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Wouldn't the phenols in the cedar be an issue? My daughter has bunnies and I know they recommend against using soft wood shavings like cedar or pine but recommend hard woods instead like aspen. I know for small animals, phenols can cause liver issues as well as an increased cancer risk.

Actually, here's a good link on it. I had to do a fair amount of research because of my daughters health issues. I was concerned about the cedar causing respitory problems but I learned about the liver issues which I'm glad I did as she already has elevated liver enzymes.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html
    Last edited by Zoe; 03-30-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Wow, I was going to give cedar shavings a try along w/ the straw that I am using now. Though i've heard of a few dogmen still using it. I would just stick w/ the straw, but if you still want to go w/ shavings, i'd try the aspen as stated earlier. It's not worth taking the risk IMHO. Here's more info on cedar shavings....

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/guine...odshavings.htm

Mel

i use cedar in the warmer months and straw in the cold months. I find that cedar keeps the insects away and gives the dogs a nice smell. I've heard of the liver issues but i found out its mainly regarding small animals, dogs should be just fine, i know plenty of dogmen that have whelped litters right onto cedar shavings and those dogs lived long healthy lives

I use cedar on the bottom and straw on the top.

Where in Can are you located?

YIS

It said that kiln dried cedar is OK and safe tho , my friend mike works at a pallet building company and i can use the kiln cause even when its empty its going. Because they have the furnace for the in floor water heated

Cedar all the way. In this past winter I had a new litter and I experimented a little.I used a good thick layer of cedar and straw on top of it. worked great.

god dammit, the dog freezes his balls off at night wit that $#@! , you need straw its a natural bedding and insulation please for the dogs

SPFDOGS Guest

I agree with mikem..Living in Canada you should be using straw in your dogs' living quarters..
    Chips and shavings work nice when you live in a extremly hot climate, but are worthless when trying to keep a dog warm..

Blankets and towels should NEVER be used or even considered as bedding in a outside doghouse..

Wink Re: Best Wood Shavings To Use in Dog house

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDOGS View Post
    I agree with mikem..Living in Canada you should be using straw in your dogs' living quarters..
    Chips and shavings work nice when you live in a extremly hot climate, but are worthless when trying to keep a dog warm..

Blankets and towels should NEVER be used or even considered as bedding in a outside doghouse..

I do agree! The blanket is one of those Mexican blankets and he sleeps with it in the kennel at night, put it in for the pic mainly , but Straw is what i need for the houses your right. i get horse grade bedding (no dust)or minimal dust anyway. In the past I have used "hockey arena floor rubber" (the stuff you walk around on your skates with) cause ifs tough as a base then straw, i have also used it as a "Hide" on a spring , but heard it makes the teeth nubs. so i stopped! Thanks again for takin the time and letting me pick your brain guys and gals

They come in side every night in the Winter but around May 24 they are out all summer till mid December all day and night. I have crate kennels on radiant hot water heated concrete floors (like spaghetti under the floor but it pumps hot water from a water heater and its WARM!")

Hey Buck I live in B.C.and I use cedar it works best for me keeps the fleas away to.I used to use hay ,but it would get damp and mouldy and cause respitory issues.As soon as I switched problem went away .Where you at .

Alberta's my home!

Southern Alberta

Cool Iam on Vancouver Island

SPFDOGS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coop-dog View Post
    Hey Buck I live in B.C.and I use cedar it works best for me keeps the fleas away to.I used to use hay ,but it would get damp and mouldy and cause respitory issues.As soon as I switched problem went away .Where you at .
    Straw is what you should have been using, and if you were getting moldy bedding than you probably werent changing it often enough..

So you use cedar chips for outside dogs in the winter?.