+ Reply to Thread

Default Cats and Pitbulls

Hello all,

I have a question. I have two cats and I am getting a pitbull and wanted to know how to train the dog not to go after the cats or to harm them. I am getting a puppy she is 3 months old. I used to have a pit awhile ago when I was younger and I had cats and she was just wonderful with cats. But just wanted to know if anyone had any tips on training a dog not to chase cats or harm them.

Thanks
    Nicole

Default Re: Cats and Pitbulls

Tell him or her no when it shows an interest in the cat, as long as you don't encourage it he'll probally leave it alone. I have a cat and my female goes after her playfully and they actually play fight with the cat usually getting the better of the dog....lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_a71bbef98012484fb63d97f9bec5d54e.jpg‎
Views:	111
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	7808  

http://thedoglady.org/cats
    this well help i think

i used to know a Gr. Ch. that slept with a cat on each side of him every night....

Good luck

I used a water bottle. My girl wasn't introduced to cats until she was about a year and a half. Every time she even looked like she was gonna mess with the cat *squirt*. She hates water though. Give it a try it might work.

Thanks everyone. I will try the water bottle and no. So far so good. She is really nervous that when the cats do come in the room she just looks at them and turn her head. She has not interest at all. I hope that it stays that way. I will keep you update. And I love that website.

I think it's good you're doing it with a puppy. I think there is hope, that your dog won't want to kill the cat and think of it as 'prey'. I've got to give it to missy, becuase a dog at 1 1/2 years old just introduced to cats, that was some good work. My boys would have killed it in a heartbeat.

Deffinatly possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg‎
Views:	103
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	7809  

I was instructed never to pick up any small animals around ANY dog. It is apt to trigger their prey response. Won't always trigger a dog but no need to risk it. You've all seen what happens when someone suddenly scoops up their yapping Fifi when they see a large dog. All it does is trigger the interest of the dog they are trying to avoid.

It can be done. I have 7 dogs here. 4 APBT, (3 are VERY prey driven), 1 Rottie, 1 Great Dane/Lab/Grey Hound mix and 1 APBT X Black Mouth Cur X and four cats. And yes, they are all house animals.

From puppy hood, these dogs were raised with cats. THAT is pretty much key - acclimation and desensitization. My dogs are not allowed to chase the cats. They are not allowed to stare at the cats. Staring at a cat and licking your lips will get you into a heap of trouble (squirt bottle of water mixed with vinegar squirted right in the kisser).

Most of my dogs will actually play with the cats. Especially with Georgie (who is a very large Ocelot x domestic F2 hybrid and VERY capable of whupping a dog's behind) and Zeus AKA Satan Siamese (who likes to do sneak attacks on the dogs - hit and run type things and has the dogs buffaloed into thinking he is a monster bent on destroying them).

All of the dogs will cuddle with and sleep with the cats.

~Tiger
    Last edited by TigerLady; 01-27-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo

A last summer vid of China and my neighbors cat. When I take China out, she walks with us and all our other neighbors can't believe it.

Last edited by chinasmom; 01-28-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chinasmom View Post
    A last summer vid of China and my neighbors cat. When I take China out, she walks with us and all our other neighbors can't believe it.
    I just LOVE China's big ol' smile in that vid!

~Tiger

I agree it can be done. Especially if you are firm on the "no challenging" the cats rule. However, be sure to always supervise because a dog who is very high with the prey drive may decide to chase or eat a cat who is not being very nice.

All my dogs were socialized with cats, we have two. But, my blue APBT no longer tolerates the cats now. She was okay with them when she was younger but one of our cats is pretty mean and he scratched her one too many times. Now he knows not to come near her and we watch to make sure he isn't asleep downstairs when she comes out to play.

I think the APBT's natural need to please its owner can be a huge asset for helping make your home cat safe. As long as the dogs know that you will not tolerate bullying or chasing or challenging the cats even the dog who really wants to kill the cat will hold off for your benefit.

For example, whenever the cats are in the room with us Mush Mouth sits very still and shakes. He watches them intently and just shakes. If the cats jump on me or stare at him he will whine and look at us. He is basically saying with his body language and whining that he wants to kill the cat. He looks at us for permission but we of course say "leave it." and so, he leaves it. Now, would I trust them alone? No. But, in a supervised environment Mush Mouth knows he is not allowed to chase, kill or eat the cats and he will do as told.

Might want to keep their food in a separate place too.
    Only time my dog went after the cats with bad intentions was wen they got close to her bowl while eating. Now they eat in different locations and problem solved.