+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default fighting line Vs hunting line

i was just thinking

people have careers ahead of them and are still young and dont wana go to jail lol, yu love the game dog so much but you know you cant test your dog the old fashion.

so lets say you started breeding pitbulls that are good hunters, and you only breed good hunters.

question one, whats the difference between a good hunter and a bad boar hunter.

would this make the dogs out of hunting line only inferior to the fighting game bred ones

what you think of the whole idea, i mean at the end there will always be underground dogmen, if someone wants a true apbt " not encouraging anyone to buy or sell game dogs ".

patterdale terrier for example, how do they bred them ,do they match them, because a lot of people say they are as game as an apbt.

do you think if I go that way, than I shouldnt call it apbt.
    Last edited by masta of game; 12-14-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Default Re: fighting line Vs hunting line

It all comes down to what you want a dog for.When you say inferior what do you mean?If you are never going to box the dog then what do you care?If the dog performs the function you want it to and performs it well then it s a good dog.
    Me I like a well reounded dog and I beleive a good pitbull is as good as any dog that god breathed life into at many tasks.I want a dog that can hunt on Sunday,Walk the kids to school on monday.Save my ass from a half starved roving mongrel dog that wants to bite me.Play with the neighbours kids in the pool.Keep the meth crazed freaks out of the yard trying to rip off my tv to by some drugs.I nsaying that I only buy dogs off of verified game bred stock because when the going gets tough I want a dog that is just starting to warm up not one that is ready to quit.I mattes not if I want it to box as long as it does everything I want in a dog.

In hunting you want a dog that is going to catch and hang tight not a dog that wants to take the pig head on and fight it or its career will be a short one or you will learn how to sow real quick.

Just on a side note you will find over here a lot of people dont like them to hunt with because of dog agression but that is usually because they are dogs that havent been started as young dogs or they may have been involved in otheer things before hand so are not social with other dogs.Not that many people hunt one out with dogs unless they have big bruisers.There are plenty of hunting line dogs in the US.Like Garry Hammonds stuff (Catchdog Enterprises) Bulldog farm etcc and many more.Soemtimes one thing doesnt equate to the other.A good hunting dog may not make a good box dog.A good box dog may not make a good schutzhund dog so its a senseless argument.A good pitbull is a good pitbull if does what you personally want him to do.End of story.Hope your board gets off the ground but you will get bashed by the know it all pit bull haters that hunt with everything else.I generally get a good laugh on the otehr board by the self confessed expertes that owned a 1/4 bred pitbull once and it was no good.loSo therfor pitbulls are crap at hunting and only want to fight.As they say a poor workman always blames his tools.

One mans opionion. There has only been one. So fly the flag that Your captors hand You. But surve only the heart within.

Quote Originally Posted by masta of game View Post

patterdale terrier for example, how do they bred them ,do they match them, because a lot of people say they are as game as an apbt.

do you think if I go that way, than I shouldnt call it apbt.
    man that was an old thread lol

now i have 2 patterdale terriers but i gotta say, i still love the pitbull more..

man i walk them almost every day for like 2 hours LOL and im organizing a hunt with some guys real soon . hunting foxes.

WTF its two different sports but you go in the woods with something that cant hold that hog that hog probly gonna kill it then tree your ass

it takes a special dog to controle them beast and if it gets hurt in the process then it takes a game dog to controle that beast

I agree with FrankDublin it takes a game dog to go to the woods and catch a 300 lbs hog with three inch cutters, especially if your dog only weighs 45 lbs.

My opinion is to the original post, I think If you concentrated more on the hunting aspect with a breeding program rather than one that uses dogs for the box, in a short time you will have 2 seperate breeds of dogs. Pig hunting shows drive not gameness, don't get me wrong a pig will most definitly fight back yet it's still not the same as dog on dog.....JMO I think you would end up with a different breed of dog that would not have all of the same traits as a typical APBT due to the fact your breeding them based of different criteria.

now my opinion may be a lil one sided as i have never seen a intentional dog fight first hand....but a dog with his jaw smashed, his shoulder split down to the white meat or a cutter through his eyeball that still holds or goes back in would seem pretty game to me. thats what game is right? never endin go regardless of pain or circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by AGK View Post
    My opinion is to the original post, I think If you concentrated more on the hunting aspect with a breeding program rather than one that uses dogs for the box, in a short time you will have 2 seperate breeds of dogs. Pig hunting shows drive not gameness, don't get me wrong a pig will most definitly fight back yet it's still not the same as dog on dog.....JMO I think you would end up with a different breed of dog that would not have all of the same traits as a typical APBT due to the fact your breeding them based of different criteria.
    hahahahaha

have you ever dealt with hunting dogs or should I say catch dogs

these dogs are the truth

they have to be

cause every time they go out its business and its not easy

and yeah you dont want to take a dog out thats gonna try and fight your
    bay dogs
    thats why you train them

I been able to take DA dogs in the woods but they had time in the bay pen with a hog and a bay dog

Now dont be mistaken just cause these dog dont display DA
    dosnt mean he is not the gamest mofo you ever seen but I will say if he ever does get a hold of your dog it aint much for him to handle
    and he would probly just bite him down

these dogs are awsome
    true athlets
    pushing weight everytime and if he comes home he helped feed the family
    so him evenmore a family member

and the weight is not pound for pound so you never know what the difference will be

but a bull dog dosnt give a flip and is always GAME

Working lines of patterdales are very game (i know from experience) mainly their work historically involves going to ground and facing a fox or badger in single combat whilst being dug to which can take a while, and a badger is a tough test for any dog , tho i have read in the states they breed some lines a bit bigger than here in the uk and get em on ground hog etc,
    i also think the hunting dog and box dog are 2 different things if i was going hog hunting id probably want a hines bulldog n a few hounds , if i was interested in fighting id want a pitbull from top fighting lines,
    not to say pits cant hunt hogs cos we know they can but i think a bulldog a better choice , horses for courses jmo,
    the best legal way to keep em game is buy from game lines n only breed from game lines and pray a lot lol, unless you are in a country that it is legal its best stay away from the box n dont even roll em jmo

While thats a crude definition of gameness, I guess you (in some circumastaces can say thats true) however it's not the same as scratching to win contests. the pig only wants to fight then flight, the difference between the two are a dog can be lossing badly to another dog (pre76 of course) yet refuses to not come across and take hold, that is game. Coming across no matter what is going on with his body and/or mind. A pig wants nothing more than to run hense the word catch dog (the very word tells you he is to keep the pig there till the hunter can get to them), isn't going to keep scratching into the dog, it will run the first chance it gets in most cases. The difference between (in my opinion anyway) calling a pighunter game and a gamedog game are night and day of eachother, the pig (as with just about every single member of the animal kingdom only wants to have to fight long enough to be able to make a sucessfull exit where as a gamedog has been bred to not have a flight instinct. If that makes any sence, I know it better than I can seem to get it across in type.

I mean I understand what you are saying...testing one way is not the same as testing the other...IMO a dog that is game in the [] sense probably wouldnt make a good catch dog...the few games dogs I have hunted with game breds (if not started young) would either try and fight the bay dogs, or fight the hog..usually going for the snout or the chest and thus quickly becoming a statistic. In the same respect, I would never know for sure if my catch dogs would make it in the[].....
    There have been many times when we were out in the marsh that hogs will charge the dog...hogs are mean as hell. that dont always just want to get away, they want to make you pay then get away. At least this has been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I mean I understand what you are saying...testing one way is not the same as testing the other...IMO a dog that is game in the [] sense probably wouldnt make a good catch dog...the few games dogs I have hunted with game breds (if not started young) would either try and fight the bay dogs, or fight the hog..usually going for the snout or the chest and thus quickly becoming a statistic. In the same respect, I would never know for sure if my catch dogs would make it in the[].....
    There have been many times when we were out in the marsh that hogs will charge the dog...hogs are mean as hell. that dont always just want to get away, they want to make you pay then get away. At least this has been my experience.

this has been mine to

were not talking about your average bacon
    these hogs are nasty and mean and dont have a problem with killing you are your dog and if food is scarce they will eat you and your dog and call it breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by FrankDublin View Post
    hahahahaha

have you ever dealt with hunting dogs or should I say catch dogs

I have not, we don't have pigs here.

these dogs are the truth

I'm sure they are great at catching pigs

they have to be
    cause every time they go out its business and its not easy

No one said it was, and I'm sure they have to be tough to take on an animal that out weighs them 10 times over plus if what you say is true then there must be a $#@! load of dead game american bulldogs.....lol

and yeah you dont want to take a dog out thats gonna try and fight your
    bay dogs
    thats why you train them

No amount of training will make a true gamebred dog not go after your hounds, if they want them they will get them.
    that sounds like the media saing people train dogs to fight.

I been able to take DA dogs in the woods but they had time in the bay pen with a hog and a bay dog

never said it was impossible

Now dont be mistaken just cause these dog dont display DA
    dosnt mean he is not the gamest mofo you ever seen but I will say if he ever does get a hold of your dog it aint much for him to handle
    and he would probly just bite him down

Alot of famous Pitdogs were known to be ok with other animals when not working and as for the last part of this sentence
    I wouldn't worry about this with you seeing as I read your other posts and you would most likely bring your dog in light

these dogs are awsome
    true athlets
    pushing weight everytime and if he comes home he helped feed the family
    so him evenmore a family member

No argument here.

and the weight is not pound for pound so you never know what the difference will be

but a bull dog dosnt give a flip and is always GAME
    No sir that is a determined dog not a game dog

Quote Originally Posted by FrankDublin View Post
    [/B][/COLOR]

this has been mine to

were not talking about your average bacon
    these hogs are nasty and mean and dont have a problem with killing you are your dog and if food is scarce they will eat you and your dog and call it breakfast

that is right. I dont get to hunt near as much as I used to when I lived in GA..I live in MD now and there arent any hogs here. 5 or 6 hundred miles is along way to go hunt esp in this economy. Matter of fact I would call all my current dogs proven but not experienced as they have only been out once or twice each. When I was yonger we hunted almost every weekend. and Sometimes during the week...70 lbs of free meat is 70 lbs of free meat! I lost several dogs, one when I was 13...we were just doing some light road work on a back dirt road..I let her off to play fetch and she went into the grass...musta been right on top of the hog.I heard em fightin for a minute, I shot the hog 3 times with my .22( it was all my dad would let me carry)he took off andall was quiet.....he cut her from her sternum to her last nipple..I was a hour walk from home, needless to say I toted my dog and her guts all that way. Had she been expecting it she might have farred better but she was just a pup..just barely a year old. with no experience.

IMO bulldogs "apbt" don't make a good catch dog. sometimes when the others got a hog at bay the catch dog will forget about the hog & hit the bay. & other times they ain't thinking catch they thinking fight & that ain't the smartest thing to do in the woods.some folks have good luck with them & some don't. "cats" & pit mix make the best IMO.

I realize hogs can be total brutes however they are just like any other wild animal, watch a fight between any other species of animal and you will see the same thing over and over again, a quick fight followed by the lesser of the 2 high tailing it out of there and wild boar are no different, Big an mean just like lions but also just like lions when they think there beat, flight drive takes over. My point is, testing with dogs you (hopefully and pre76) are using other dogs that the flight instinct has been removed thus making hog hunting vs. dogfighting like comparing apples to automobiles

Also to the OP, I still think it would create a different breed of dog due to the fact your breeding for catch-n-hold not gameness.
    Good topic though Masta, I'd thank you but you know how that is now a days.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by AGK View Post
    No sir that is a determined dog not a game dog
    if you never had any experiance then how would you beable to give an educated guess

and this is all Im doing accept I do have experiance with hunting dogs
    and there is cases where you may have a DA dog but he knows what work is and who is the real threat

you do not let this dog run with the currs

then Ive seen bull dogs (catchdogs) that could run with the currs
    but would tryn kill one if the curr crossed it he would probly have to be tied up till he cooled off but could be released shoot no dog is perfect and accidents happen

and its not training them to fight
    its turning them on to fighting

there fighting dogs for crying out loud they know how to fight
    but if you never put it in there lifes and all they do is hunt and live with other dogs then they fight(catch) hogs
    nomatter if its the tightest bred dog from the gamest line