+ Reply to Thread

Default my dogh swallowed a rib bone whole

i accidentally dropped a rib bone on the floor and my dog ate it whole. is he gonna pass it? i'm worried, hes a good dog. cant lose him. i searched online and people said it should be fine, still worried though.

Default Re: my dogh swallowed a rib bone whole

you've never given the dog bones b4?? as long as it wasnt cooked should be fine

Was it raw or cooked?

Cooked bones that size have been known to do internal damage and/or not pass properly. I would try and get ahold of your vet or emergency vet hotline and ask for advice...it may very well pass with no problems, but better safe than sorry.

I had a dog several years back that followed 4 pork ribs whole. She didn't have any problems with digesting and passing them. In this case, I would probably keep the dog close to me for monitoring and just make sure I know where the closest e-vet is. Bear in mind, that's what I would do, and I'm not a vet. Hope everything comes right for your boy.

was it cooked or raw

it was cooked

If he seems fine don't worry too hard, but do keep an eye on the dog. If he looks like he's making attempts to puke but can't or seems to be uncomfortable moving or eating, then take him to the vet

China has been known to inhale bone's. Though I worry about it, she has never had a problem with one and I have never seen it passed in her stool whole. It must be digesting somewhere. But do watch for things that are abnormal for your dog, and if you see something, contact your vet.

Oh mine just did the same thing!! He is only 7 months old, I mean he weighs 80 lbs so he's not a little thing... but is your dog okay?? Did you take him to the vet??

Quote Originally Posted by niqole24 View Post
    Oh mine just did the same thing!! He is only 7 months old, I mean he weighs 80 lbs so he's not a little thing... but is your dog okay?? Did you take him to the vet??

whoah!!!! 7mths @ 80lbs..thats a big dog

Mr Mark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    whoah!!!! 7mths @ 80lbs..thats a big dog
    LOL, that's going to take us into a whole other direction!

Before we get off topic...don't worry the dog will be fine! He's trying to tell you that it's natural for him to be eating bones...raw however, lol! He should crap nice and yellowish/white tomorrow!