+ Reply to Thread

Default Why does he "scream"?

Yesterday I took Jaeger (APBT), Elu (Dogo), and Gidget (Min Pin) out at a park to go swimming. There was some stupid lady with her dog off leash and out of her control. She saw us and tried to catch her dog, to put it on a leash. So we stand on the other side of the lot and wait. She catches up to her dog, and instead of leashing him feels the need to yell to me 'he is just a puppy' and 'he is friendly'. The famous last words of every ingnorant owner, before their dog attacks.

Anyway, so now her dog notices us. Mind you, her "puppy" is about 27" at the shoulder and all of 100lbs. His tail goes straight up over his back, ears go foward, all of his hair on his back stands on end, he pulls his lips tight, and takes off for us.
    The dog gets about 25 feet from us, and Jaeger shoots up in the air and lets out this ear piercing scream. The other dog stops dead in its tracks and pretty much melted. The dog's owner looked horrified at the noise that came out of Jaeger. She leashed her dog, apologized, and walk away.

Now Jaeger has made this noise only a couple of other times. Once right before he latched onto a hog's face, once when we were out hiking a deer took off in front of us, and once at a festival when he saw the horses or camels.

I can only discribe this noise as some sort of banshee war cry. It is incredibly loud, high pitched, and intense.

None of my other dogs, including my APBTs, have ever made a noise like this.

Does anyone else have a dog, maybe another APBT, that screams?
    What do you think this noise means?
    Is it his "high drive" alert or something?

Default Re: Why does he "scream"?

I had a couple of APBTs who would do this. The only time they would do it though was out of frustration, like if they were in full-on prey drive & you took the prey object away & they could see it but couldn't get to it. Then they'd screech & holler like a wounded panther.
    Last edited by ABK; 07-08-2008 at 04:11 PM.

I have a female APBT who will scream at you if you ignore her, especially for another dog. It made showing her interesting, to say the least.

LOL! ABK is right, fustration is about the best way to put it. Kinda like when people are about to get in fight and someone steps in and one of those persons starts talking more sh!t. But a little diffrent with these dogs, the other dog did the right thing. But, if the other dog would have been a clone of your dog or similar the outcome may have alot diffrent. Did your Dogo react?

Is it a blood curdling scream? The scream that if it had come from a child would make you think their face was being burned off? Yes? Well a few weeks ago,we were in the woods. I had Dante,my mom's border collie,and 3 mixes I was fostering(all females except for Dante). I kept getting this feeling that we were being followed. Then I hear growling from Dante. I turn and see a coyote about 30 feet away. Well Dante let out this scream that I have never heard any dog make. Then the whole pack of them went at the coyote. I yelled for them and they all came back. Since then I was wondering that the scream meant. I thought it could have been a pack thing. You know? Like a battle cry..lol.

I owned a screamer once. Its kind of like a child's tantrum. They know they can't get to the object of their affections, but that's not going to stop them from having a hissy fit about it. LOL

Mine does it for toys. But less of a scream and more of a shrieking barking hissy fit. I have been strongly discouraging it as it's highly obnoxious...

Genevieve

Quote Originally Posted by mac 11 View Post
    LOL! ABK is right, fustration is about the best way to put it. Kinda like when people are about to get in fight and someone steps in and one of those persons starts talking more sh!t. But a little diffrent with these dogs, the other dog did the right thing. But, if the other dog would have been a clone of your dog or similar the outcome may have alot diffrent. Did your Dogo react?
    That sounds about right. I'm willing to bet that if Jaeger wasn't on a leash durring any of those times, there wouldn't have been a "scream". He would have just bolted after the object of his intesity.

My Dogo is deaf, but he looked at Jaeger like "WTF". I am pretty sure that he felt it.

I have a dog whos screams @ sight of any other animal , it draws alot of unwanted attention during rare walks. We now have in isolated from other animals only for this reason. I have found that his hacky bark is a result of his screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by ABK View Post
    I had a couple of APBTs who would do this. The only time they would do it though was out of frustration, like if they were in full-on prey drive & you took the prey object away & they could see it but couldn't get to it. Then they'd screech & holler like a wounded panther.
    Had a male named Ace coming through the JEEP/REDBOY/FRISCO. Man, at the sight of any dog, same exact thing. My other APBTs would start to howl at the sky. Just like a high pitched freight train. Jumping and slobbering!!! I know whatcha mean

My Diesel does that when he sees a cat or another dog or a female in heat is around. I think many jeep bred dogs do this...i've heard people call it the "jeep yell" at dog shows.

Thats like a sign of game not the will to go on not that game but that just that strong prey drive type of game im sorry i cant explain it. Like a game dog does not bark, growl, go up on there back legs,raise there hackles they scream out of frustration cause they want to go to work. For example Mayday as they broke him and another dog off each other for the scratch Mayday would scream in the corner cause he wanted to get to the other dog.
    Last edited by Big Marshall; 07-11-2008 at 08:59 PM.

My dog will do this when frustrated like others have said. She wants to get something will all of her heart and cant get at it.

Bullyson was a screamer in the corner as well. Chinaman would on one of the few turns he allowed an opponent to take. Zebo was a roof raiser as well. Its like Scrappy from Scooby Doo "Lemme at em! Lemme at em!"