+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: My dog has an underbite!

Well seeing that I wasn't gonna breed her n e way... yes it would though

Quote Originally Posted by woody d
    ok heres a question: would you let an underbite prevent you from breeding a dog?
    Hell no!!!Why should it..I guess if you are breeding strictly for show then it could be a problem, but otherwise an underbite usually has no affect on a dog whatsoever.

ok heres a question: would you let an underbite prevent you from breeding a dog?

No, infact I have one with a pretty bad under bite that I plan to breed one day...

Quote Originally Posted by dunlap
    No, infact I have one with a pretty bad under bite that I plan to breed one day...
    if all goes well, me too

Iowa (Where your food and your foods food comes from)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratler123
    Will this affect them in any way? Is this acceptable for an APBT?
    Culling would be the first and best option in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdogman
    Culling would be the first and best option in my opinion.
    Cull him/her cause of being undershot?? Why would you do that??

[QUOTE=misterdogman]Culling would be the first and best option in my opinion.[/QUOTE so because of an underbite you would eliminate a 100% bulldog from your breeding program?

[QUOTE=woody d]
    Culling would be the first and best option in my opinion.[/QUOTE so because of an underbite you would eliminate a 100% bulldog from your breeding program?
    Absolutely. It would not be suitable to be bred and it would have no purpose as a dog to proliferate or give out as a pet.... and therefore it would have no place in my program and it would be culled as soon as said defect was identified. Theres no problem with making a pet out of one but as far as breeding and in certain situations (regarding the dog being intact( breeding is not good with said defect..... and I wouldnt even give one away without it being fixed so in my opinion its hard enough to get rid of dogs you dont want so why try to push one off with a flaw that aint fixed...so cull it instead of trying to adopt it but if you already got one love it then if you choose to thats cool and I hope your happy with the dog.

no way, not a dog that is got all the goods plus an underbite, not me

Depends on the severity of the defect, and the probability it will reoccur in that exaggerated condition.

As long as the under/overbite isn't so horrible you notice it without looking for it, I don't pay much mind to it. If the dog is worth being bred, I'll consider breeding it.

Then we come to a situation like I'm in now. We have access to 3 littermates, another brother and a sister. The male is here, we owned the female for some time. Not to mention, many 1/2 brothers sisters to said dog, on both sides. He is the ONLY one I've noticed with an underbite, and his is the worst I've ever seen. An underbite is not apparent in the immediate ancestory.

That said, if he didn't have that defect, I would of bred him to a few $#@!es already! I've known him since I owned his sister a year ago. The consensus is he's as talented on a hog, as how bad he looks. LOL

The 3 we've fed, were all amazing animals. Sire is dead, and will soon be utilizing one of the males in our breeding program. Will I breed to him, or his conformationally correct brother?

An underbite does not much limit an animal, in the woods catching hogs. The concern, is are you improving the breed with the quality of the animal, or diminishing by adding a physical flaw?

It's got to be one hell of a dog to sway you, and ask to cull a large percentage of pups, for many generations. Even the dogs not showing the defect, will have the ability to pass it on.

It's a tough one for sure, one thats still got me undecided.

i m not gonna come on here and pretend like i m an experienced breeder, because im not one. the only reason why i would give this one a second thought is the simple fact that im sitting on the smartest pup i ve seen in 15 years, and hes got one. it would seem such a shame to not give it a shot with a dog that seems to have it all plus an underbite, like i said.

Quote Originally Posted by 14rock
    Depends on the severity of the defect, and the probability it will reoccur in that exaggerated condition.

As long as the under/overbite isn't so horrible you notice it without looking for it, I don't pay much mind to it. If the dog is worth being bred, I'll consider breeding it.

Then we come to a situation like I'm in now. We have access to 3 littermates, another brother and a sister. The male is here, we owned the female for some time. Not to mention, many 1/2 brothers sisters to said dog, on both sides. He is the ONLY one I've noticed with an underbite, and his is the worst I've ever seen. An underbite is not apparent in the immediate ancestory.

That said, if he didn't have that defect, I would of bred him to a few $#@!es already! I've known him since I owned his sister a year ago. The consensus is he's as talented on a hog, as how bad he looks. LOL

The 3 we've fed, were all amazing animals. Sire is dead, and will soon be utilizing one of the males in our breeding program. Will I breed to him, or his conformationally correct brother?

An underbite does not much limit an animal, in the woods catching hogs. The concern, is are you improving the breed with the quality of the animal, or diminishing by adding a physical flaw?

It's got to be one hell of a dog to sway you, and ask to cull a large percentage of pups, for many generations. Even the dogs not showing the defect, will have the ability to pass it on.

It's a tough one for sure, one thats still got me undecided.
    do you have a pic of your dog?

Not yet, possibly this weekend.

i m not gonna come on here and pretend like i m an experienced breeder, because im not one. the only reason why i would give this one a second thought is the simple fact that im sitting on the smartest pup i ve seen in 15 years, and hes got one. it would seem such a shame to not give it a shot with a dog that seems to have it all plus an underbite, like i said.
    Earlier you asked me if I would cull a dog like that even if it was 100% bulldog and I responded as if that was a fact. But if this dog is still a pup and not even grown proven or able to be evaluated then how do you know if hes 100% bulldog anyhow.... as he stands now? In order to know that this the dog would have to be grown and proven.... so basically you have a smart puppy with an underbite that you see 100% bulldog in. Some just see the fact that you have a dog with flaws to pass on...and thats true in any breeding situation..... and some see up too a 100% cull rate in some litters from a dog like that.... which dont make the sire that produces that 100% anything...... no matter how game. It just makes him a game dog with 100% flaws to pass on. And thats if the dog turns out to be game in the first place.

Absolutely. It would not be suitable to be bred and it would have no purpose as a dog to proliferate or give out as a pet.... and therefore it would have no place in my program and it would be culled as soon as said defect was identified. Theres no problem with making a pet out of one but as far as breeding and in certain situations (regarding the dog being intact( breeding is not good with said defect..... and I wouldnt even give one away without it being fixed so in my opinion its hard enough to get rid of dogs you dont want so why try to push one off with a flaw that aint fixed...so cull it instead of trying to adopt it but if you already got one love it then if you choose to thats cool and I hope your happy with the dog.
    I guess that's where we're different, I dont have a problem with pushing dogs off on others...simply because I keep what I produce :/

But I'm not breeding for the show ring anyways, so a "defect" such as an under bite wouldnt bother me. If all goes as planned, the male I'm gonna breed her with has a perfect bite and maybe there wont be too many pups that are under shot...either way, they're still gonna be staying with me.

Earlier you asked me if I would cull a dog like that even if it was 100% bulldog and I responded as if that was a fact. But if this dog is still a pup and not even grown proven or able to be evaluated then how do you know if hes 100% bulldog anyhow.... as he stands now? In order to know that this the dog would have to be grown and proven.... so basically you have a smart puppy with an underbite that you see 100% bulldog in. Some just see the fact that you have a dog with flaws to pass on...and thats true in any breeding situation..... and some see up too a 100% cull rate in some litters from a dog like that.... which dont make the sire that produces that 100% anything...... no matter how game. It just makes him a game dog with 100% flaws to pass on. And thats if the dog turns out to be game in the first place.
    gameness isnt even an issue with this little pup i got now, and conformation wasnt a goal when i picked him. what has totally blown me away is the behavior riot has shown for the last 3 months, he has learned everything i have asked and continues to impress me daily. dogs that are "pretty" and have no flaws are of course magnificent animals, but something has to be said for an intelligent dog.

Quote Originally Posted by dunlap
    I guess that's where we're different, I dont have a problem with pushing dogs off on others...simply because I keep what I produce :/

But I'm not breeding for the show ring anyways, so a "defect" such as an under bite wouldnt bother me. If all goes as planned, the male I'm gonna breed her with has a perfect bite and maybe there wont be too many pups that are under shot...either way, they're still gonna be staying with me.
    So your already planning to breed anyway huh? Sounds like a choice thats for sure, not a good one but still a choice.
    Last edited by misterdogman; 02-01-2008 at 12:45 AM.

So your already planning to breed anyway huh? Sounds like a choice thats for sure, not a good one but still a choice.
    Not a good one by whose standards? I do things differently and dont allow my self to be influenced much by other's choices for breeding.

And yes, if this dogs continues down the road she is on now, I wont think twice about breeding her. Looks arent the first thing I look at when breeding my APBTs. But like I said, I'm not trying to get my dogs "out there" and keep what I produce. There's enough "breeders" out there who are willing to sell off their litter and only keep a pup or two back...I'm just not one of those people.

I'm just....."different"

Love arguments... especially when it would be easier to let it go

Quote Originally Posted by Ratler123
    Love arguments... especially when it would be easier to let it go
    I'm not arguing with anyone

As long as you truly believe that you are bettering the breed with your program, then I'm all for it. There's not too many people that share the same opinions about what's right and wrong......but as long as you stick with your OWN beliefs and dont allow them to change with the fads, we'll all be alright