+ Reply to Thread

Default What to feed my underweight pup?

what should i feed my underweight pup? hes 4 months and only 9 lbs. pics are in my other post in the forum. im not sure what to feed him and how much/how many times a day. what would be a good dog food for his age/situation? I dont really know why hes so thin as I took him in about a week ago from a so called breeder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG‎
Views:	220
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	7242   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG‎
Views:	217
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	7243   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG‎
Views:	199
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	7244   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG‎
Views:	261
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	7245   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG‎
Views:	167
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	7246  

Last edited by dieselsmama; 08-02-2007 at 03:32 PM.

Michele Guest

Default Re: What to feed my underweight pup?

here is a recipe for satin balls:

1 lb ground beef
    1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
    1 jar all natural peanut butter
    1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ
    1 doz egg yolks
    1 cup or so of flaked oats soaked in heavy cream

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.
    Last edited by Michele; 08-02-2007 at 03:34 PM.

FearlessKnight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dieselsmama
    what should i feed my underweight pup? hes 4 months and only 9 lbs. pics are in my other post in the forum. im not sure what to feed him and how much/how many times a day. what would be a good dog food for his age/situation?
    Just asking here......what do you think/want or expect this dog to weigh full grown?

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessKnight
    Just asking here......what do you think/want or expect this dog to weigh full grown?
    The dam was 40 lbs and the sire was pushing 70 lbs, but both appearing healthy. So i really dont know why the pup is so thin. I personally dont think they were taking proper care of the dog, but thats my oppinion. he was the last pup left and they just wanted to get rid of him. i always thought the general rule of thumb was that if you take their weight at 4 months and double it, it should roughly be the amount they will weigh as adults. What will i look like with an 18 lb APBT LOL. its a shame, but hes a wonderful dog.

Did u buy the dog at this weight from the breeder? I would take him to a vet to make sure his not sick.And start feeding him lamb & rice with can dog food and cottage cheese with a boiled egg.Leave him food all the time so he can nimble on some thur out the day.

Michele Guest

If you google "dog satin balls" you'll find alot of different recipes

FearlessKnight Guest

The dam was 40 lbs and the sire was pushing 70 lbs, but both appearing healthy. So i really dont know why the pup is so thin. I personally dont think they were taking proper care of the dog, but thats my oppinion. he was the last pup left and they just wanted to get rid of him. i always thought the general rule of thumb was that if you take their weight at 4 months and double it, it should roughly be the amount they will weigh as adults. What will i look like with an 18 lb APBT LOL. its a shame, but hes a wonderful dog.
    He doesn't look that underweight to me, a little yes....
    If it were me I would simply find a good feed, not from Wal-Mart...and feed for a 15lb puppy as follows on bag directions...or 2-3 times daily...

Quality food will do the trick....

He doesn't look that underweight to me, a little yes....
    If it were me I would simply find a good feed, not from Wal-Mart...and feed for a 15lb puppy as follows on bag directions...or 2-3 times daily...

Quality food will do the trick....
    any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcespits
    Did u buy the dog at this weight from the breeder? I would take him to a vet to make sure his not sick.And start feeding him lamb & rice with can dog food and cottage cheese with a boiled egg.Leave him food all the time so he can nimble on some thur out the day.
    yea i got the dog like this. it was at the vet and they said it had a heart murmur, but that he will most likely grown out of it. i didnt pay for him as the people couldnt get rid of him because he was the last of the litter. i normally wouldnt get a dog like that but he looked so miserable

FearlessKnight Guest

any suggestions?
    Also has the pup been checked thoroughly for worms......or any other illness that could possibly affect weigh gain?

A good feed is something like
    Timber Wolf
    Canidea (spelling) some say...I dont like this feed
    Natures Variety
    Innova

Anything that has corn, no by-products, no animal digest.....
    but has a good source of meat and protien from the meat...

11. Default Re: What to feed my underweight pup?

Also has the pup been checked thoroughly for worms......or any other illness that could possibly affect weigh gain?

A good feed is something like
    Timber Wolf
    Canidea (spelling) some say...I dont like this feed
    Natures Variety
    Innova

Anything that has corn, no by-products, no animal digest.....
    but has a good source of meat and protien from the meat...
    sounds like im takin a trip to the pet store! thanks everyone!

sounds like im takin a trip to the pet store! thanks everyone!
    I'd start with pyrantel 50 to worm it out. Has the dog got diareah? If so, is it bad stinky? Vet checked? After all that, goat's milk add's weight pretty good. I have some feed with 30%protein, 20%fat that will put weight on a dog pretty easily. Also, raw meat. Fatty meat. Calf starter. Calcium tablets, Nutri-drops, Brewer's yeast, etc.
    I have to say the photo's dont look like the dog is detrimental, unless the camera is not showing well. Pups should have some puppy fat, I dont really worry till the spine is showing, then the pup/or dog is underweight to me. I like the ribs to show a bit, but no spine, unless the dog is worked down to show weight, even then you can tell if it is a healthy thing or not. I do like my pups to be fat though. First thing I'd check is intestinal parasites.

13. Default Re: What to feed my underweight pup?

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig
    I'd start with pyrantel 50 to worm it out. Has the dog got diareah? If so, is it bad stinky? Vet checked? After all that, goat's milk add's weight pretty good. I have some feed with 30%protein, 20%fat that will put weight on a dog pretty easily. Also, raw meat. Fatty meat. Calf starter. Calcium tablets, Nutri-drops, Brewer's yeast, etc.
    I have to say the photo's dont look like the dog is detrimental, unless the camera is not showing well. Pups should have some puppy fat, I dont really worry till the spine is showing, then the pup/or dog is underweight to me. I like the ribs to show a bit, but no spine, unless the dog is worked down to show weight, even then you can tell if it is a healthy thing or not. I do like my pups to be fat though. First thing I'd check is intestinal parasites.
    yep he was vet checked, has all vaccines. no diareah... and his spine does show a bit, i think its just hard to see in the pics because hes black. i like puppy fat as well... but he is smaller than our miniture pinchers! <--- thats a shame lol

Pictures look to me like a parasite problem.

Free of externals (fleas/ticks?)

Interal (worms)?

The big belly with bad hips, tells me nutritional deficiencies. Either something is taking it out of her, or she is not taking enough in. The quality of food has alot to do with this. If you're feeding her a ton of junk food, it will go to her belly, and come out in the stool without having time to assimilate into the body and promote proper growth.

At that age, worm the dog 3 days consecutively anyways. Then, start with a good diet.

Actually I would not call that a shame! I have a little girl here who is 17 lbs at 6 mos & I am proud as punch of her! Heck, the smaller they are, the better I like them!

The original weights for APBTs were around 20 - 30 lbs fully grown. But as like anything in the U.S. we thought "bigger is better" & the weight gradually increased from 20 - 30 lbs to 40 - 50 lbs. But every now & then you will get a "throwback" to the old time dogs, esp. if the pup is inbred.

Being small doesn't always mean the dog is malnourished, negelected or anything of the like. It just means it's small, which IMO is something to be proud of! You have a dog that is like the original APBT!
    Last edited by ABK; 08-02-2007 at 05:32 PM.

16. Default Re: What to feed my underweight pup?

Quote Originally Posted by ABK
    Actually I would not call that a shame! I have a little girl here who is 17 lbs at 6 mos & I am proud as punch of her! Heck, the smaller they are, the better I like them!

The original weights for APBTs were around 20 - 30 lbs fully grown. But as like anything in the U.S. we thought "bigger is better" & the weight gradually increased from 20 - 30 lbs to 40 - 50 lbs. But every now & then you will get a "throwback" to the old time dogs, esp. if the pup is inbred.

Being small doesn't always mean the dog is malnourished, negelected or anything of the like. It just means it's small, which IMO is something to be proud of! You have a dog that is like the original APBT!
    Thanks for making me feel better!! I just hope that thats all it is and nothin serious. Maybe the fact that he has a heart murmur, i dunno. But thanks!

No problem! I have heard that animals w/ heart defects can be smaller, but I do not know if that is true. But we have some vet techs on this board who can tell you for sure.

In the meantime here are some pics of our dog Baby Girl. This is the one who weighs in at 17 lbs at 6 mos & stands a whopping 14 in. tall:

"I'm not looking at you ... I don't see you ..."

"OK fine! I'm looking at the stupid camera! Can we go inside now??!"

Another plus about little dogs - even though they have small stature, there is more of them to love!
    Last edited by ABK; 08-02-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Suki Guest

I remember you posting about a grade 3 heart murmur, but, yeah, was a stool sample brought in to detirmine if he has any internal parasites? would rule out a lot, although to get a GOOD whip worm sample, due to whipworms not always showing up (various reasons) (and many people do not know this) and are actually more common that round in dogs, as 1 in 7 are infected with whips. here, we recommend that you bring in a sample for 3 consecutive days to obtain an accurate reading. and~
    whip worms can lay in soil for up to 7 years, and no unlike Parvo, bleaching will NOT kill them.
    also, if you do a search on Food, you will see many threads appear, as this is a common subject.
    good luck with that lil guy.