+ Reply to Thread

Default Thin or Malnourished? Puppy Pics

i just got this pup about a week and a half ago. i took him in from a "so called" breeder (byb) because I felt so bad for the pup. Im not a breeder, just a person who loves the breed, an yes, I intend on getting him fixed. Anyhow, his papers say he was born April 5th, 2007 so he is about 4 months old. He weighs 9 lbs. You can see his little hip bones, spine, and ribs. He seems to be normal, sleeps a lot, but i assumed that was because he is growing. My other dog which is an APBT was 30 lbs by the time he was 4 mths so you can see why i am concerned. I feed him the same kibble as my other dog, but Im not sure if its working for him. When i got him they had the dam on premises and another pup from the same litter which they were keeping, who was a lot bigger than him. I am just concerned that maybe he was not treated right and thats why he is so thin, or maybe he just needs time. But i still dont dont think its normal. I dont have enough experiance with the breed to determine if this is normal, or if he was malnourished. Hes a great dog, great personality, and i want him to be healthy. I took him to the vet and found out he as a heart murmur, but they said he will most likely grow out of it. The vet was rushed and didnt explain much (which pissed me off) so I am taking him somewhere else. In the mean time any comments would be appriciated. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10864082@N02/

Default Re: Thin or Malnourished? Puppy Pics

Looks like a little bit of both to me. He needs to pick up on some more weight. Feed a kibble with alot more fat in it and treat him for worms.

maryellen1 Guest

SLOWLY gain the weight on him. you can do Satin Balls to help him gain weight.
    did he come with the cropped ears?
    get a new vet, one that will take time with a new pup and examine him the right way.

I agree sounds like a bit of both there.

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen1
    get a new vet, one that will take time with a new pup and examine him the right way.
    yeah, his ears were cropped a few days before we got him. his stitches are still in and get taken out tomorrow. they said they had sold him to someone else (who got his his ears done) but brought him back a few days later because of their landlord. i dont know, sounded like a bunch of bs to me. but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen1
    what are satin balls? sorry, like i said, ive never had this problem before. so please excuse my uneducated self!

Quote Originally Posted by dieselsmama
    i just got this pup about a week and a half ago. i took him in from a "so called" breeder (byb) because I felt so bad for the pup. Im not a breeder, just a person who loves the breed, an yes, I intend on getting him fixed. Anyhow, his papers say he was born April 5th, 2007 so he is about 4 months old. He weighs 9 lbs. You can see his little hip bones, spine, and ribs. He seems to be normal, sleeps a lot, but i assumed that was because he is growing. My other dog which is an APBT was 30 lbs by the time he was 4 mths so you can see why i am concerned. I feed him the same kibble as my other dog, but Im not sure if its working for him. When i got him they had the dam on premises and another pup from the same litter which they were keeping, who was a lot bigger than him. I am just concerned that maybe he was not treated right and thats why he is so thin, or maybe he just needs time. But i still dont dont think its normal. I dont have enough experiance with the breed to determine if this is normal, or if he was malnourished. Hes a great dog, great personality, and i want him to be healthy. I took him to the vet and found out he as a heart murmur, but they said he will most likely grow out of it. The vet was rushed and didnt explain much (which pissed me off) so I am taking him somewhere else. In the mean time any comments would be appriciated. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10864082@N02/
    Bit of both

Bulldogs (it means Pit Bulls) recover themselves easily, just work on him... he will be healed quickly if he's a pure bred.

Good luck.

Are those recent pics, and the date on the camera is wrong, or are those old pics?

Quote Originally Posted by screamin'eagle
    Are those recent pics, and the date on the camera is wrong, or are those old pics?
    i took the pics today... the date on the camera is wrong. sorry bout that, i didnt even notice!

When they show hips... thats a bad sign, give quality food and lots of love

Satin Balls
    5 lbs fatty hamburger meat
    6 cups Total cereal (I used generic)
    7.5 cups oatmeal
    5 raw eggs (add the shells)
    2 cups wheat germ
    5 pkg unflavored gelatin
    2/3 cups veg. oil
    2/3 cups unsulphered mol$#@!
    pinch of salt
    Mix all together, make meatballs and freeze.
    I made some last week and this amount made 3 gallon baggies full
    You can feed them thawed or frozen. Most of the dogs a give 1 ball about once or twice a week, for gaining weight I would give a couple a day for a few days and then determine if you need to give more or less.
    It is really hot here and I have been giving them frozen and they LOVE them...

yeah he is thin.on a pup i don't want to see any hip bones or spine,ribs i don't worry about to much because some dogs thats just the way they are put together but when i can see hip bones or the spine on a pup thats when it needs some weight put on it.what i would recomend is taking him to a vet get him a nice exam to make sure nothing is wrong with it.get a fecal test done and then go ahead and worm him anyways.then feed him a good quailty food slowly and give him some of them hamburger balls thats been posted.thats about all you can do right there for him.

Could be coccidia. I would treat for that too - along with the worming. I had picked up a pup like that, along with 2 of his sisters - but he was the worse. He was only 9 lbs and almost that age. He had coccidia no doubt and if I wouldn't have got to him when I did, he would've surely died like the 4 others in that litter. I put him and his sisters on albon (the equivelant actually) and then I made a large batch of chicken and rice (including all the fat and skin) and put that in with the dog food and free fed them. I made sure their food was always available and because of the chicken mixture, they ate more food. Within a month, he looked great, but because of the ordeal, his height was stunted. He still turned out to be a pretty nice dog though.

I had a female that caught parvo once, she wouldn't really eat for a while and she ended up looking worse than that. After she began eating again, I started adding puppy milk replacement to her dry food, as well as feeding Bil-Jack frozen food once a day. In a few weeks, you couldn't even tell she had previously had parvo. Follow the advice given by the other posters, and your pup should be fine. I personally keep my pups chunky until around 10-12 months, but that's me. If a pup is too thin, even for a couple of weeks, it can do all kinds of things to it's growth and development.
    Did you say you have an APBT that was 30 lbs at 4 months, or did I read wrong? Wow, that's kind of on the large side.

Also, what kind of food are you currently feeding your pup, brandwise? This may be part (but definitely not all of) the problem, as puppies need more protien to maintain and gain weight.

Exclamation Re: Thin or Malnourished? Puppy Pics

Quote Originally Posted by FourCorners
    Looks like a little bit of both to me. He needs to pick up on some more weight. Feed a kibble with alot more fat in it and treat him for worms.
    Please be careful what advice you give people. DO NOT TREAT THIS DOG FOR HEART WORMS. I know that you probably meant hook, tape, round, etc....but TREATING this pup for heartworms without clinical confirmation could be deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by butch51
    Could be coccidia. I would treat for that too - along with the worming. I had picked up a pup like that, along with 2 of his sisters - but he was the worse. He was only 9 lbs and almost that age. He had coccidia no doubt and if I wouldn't have got to him when I did, he would've surely died like the 4 others in that litter. I put him and his sisters on albon (the equivelant actually) and then I made a large batch of chicken and rice (including all the fat and skin) and put that in with the dog food and free fed them. I made sure their food was always available and because of the chicken mixture, they ate more food. Within a month, he looked great, but because of the ordeal, his height was stunted. He still turned out to be a pretty nice dog though.
    You'll want to have the pup's feces tested for Coccidia prior to treatment for the parasite. If he does have such a parasite, his stool will be runny and covered in a mucas-like substance. The chemical Sulfadimathoxin is what treats this parasite. You can buy this buy the jug and mix it with an Omega3/6 supliment for rapid recovery, weight gain, and it tastes better. Look for the shelf name "Albon."

Also, switch to a high quality feed. That means NOT anything you can buy from walmart. Im talking about Dick Van Patton's, Canidae, Diamond, Timberwolf, etc. You get what you pay for and so does your dog when it comes to kibble.

Quote Originally Posted by Iverson's Pits
    Please be careful what advice you give people. DO NOT TREAT THIS DOG FOR HEART WORMS. I know that you probably meant hook, tape, round, etc....but TREATING this pup for heartworms without clinical confirmation could be deadly.
    I understnd the reasons for speciffics but this dude said nothing about heart worms. No vet worth itt's salt will treat that pup for heart worms at 4 months of age, that is when they recomend starting preventive.

Quote Originally Posted by simms
    I understnd the reasons for speciffics but this dude said nothing about heart worms. No vet worth itt's salt will treat that pup for heart worms at 4 months of age, that is when they recomend starting preventive.
    True. Though I've seen people run out and get their hands on a big ass bottle of Ivomec and wreak havoc on dogs trying to play vet.

Suki Guest

yup, first thing, i would bring in a stool sample and have it run to test and treat for internal parasites.

and inregards to whipworms, in particular, 1 in 7 dogs across the country is infected with this worm~unbeknown to many owners, as it's hard to detect, and oftentimes it can/will take 3 consecutive stool tests run to detect it. it can remain in the soil for up to 7 years, so, everytime your dog licks its paw, picks up a thrown ball on contaminated soil or digs up a bone, he/she can easily injest a few whipworm eggs(which are too tiny to see and are difficult to find during a common examination) and it can be years before your dog shows any symptoms of this parasite. It's a parasite that is more common that roundworm in canines.

so yeah, get a stool sample in and take it from there, cuz, i agree, imo, he looks too thin.