+ Reply to Thread

Default Dog fighting in my area

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne...l/8771712.html

By Jeff Neumeyer

Watch the story
    The criminal case against Atlanta football star Michael Vick is shining a spotlight on a problem with a history in this area as well.

Fort Wayne Animal Control officials say the profit potential in dog fighting makes it much more than a sadistic hobby.

The allegations against Vick have brought dog fighting out of the shadows, but Chad Schiebel says don't be fooled into thinking it's an isolated problem.

We were shown two treadmills used to train and condition pit bulls for fighting, items that were confiscated by Fort Wayne Animal Control enforcement officers.

Schiebel says on a routine basis in this area, you can find people running, watching and betting on dog fights, including some professional events where 20 to 30-thousand dollars are riding on the outcomes.

Supervisor Chad Schiebel/Animal Control Enforcement: "Yes, there's people that grow up and are hobbyists and do this for an image of being the big man on the block with the toughest dog. But there also is a very big money incentive in this."

Schiebel says about one in five dogs taken in by the Fort Wayne shelter are aggressive, even dangerous, pit bulls that are discarded by their owners.

NEUMEYER: "Not only does dog fighting occur in Allen County, but three times in the last four years, individuals have been arrested and convicted on dog fighting charges."

Investigators need only find evidence of scarred animals and dog fighting tools such as weighing scales or sticks used to separate dogs locked in combat in order to work up criminal cases.

And in Indiana, spectators and those betting on dogfights are also subject to felony charges, because they promote dog-fighting confrontations.

Chad Schiebel: "It's absolutely cruel, it's a despicable act of violence on a dog."
    ---------------------------------------

I've lived here for 21 years and have never heard about any busts in dog fighting. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I also hardly see any pit bulls here either. They've supposedly had 3 busts in the past 4 years. I never heard one story on either of the 3 busts. People are sure jumping on the dog fighting bandwagon now. They havea video link to the story also on the same page.

FearlessKnight Guest

Default Re: Dog fighting in my area

We were shown two treadmills used to train and condition pit bulls for fighting, items that were confiscated by Fort Wayne Animal Control enforcement officers.
    I know the media and others are not very well educated to say the least, but how in the hell did they ever come to the conclusion that treadmills were used to train and condition pit bulls for fighting? I mean we humans use them too, I guess we should ALL be arrested for probable cause (fighting) eeeeehhh go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessKnight

I know the media and others are not very well educated to say the least, but how in the hell did they ever come to the conclusion that treadmills were used to train and condition pit bulls for fighting? I mean we humans use them too, I guess we should ALL be arrested for probable cause (fighting) eeeeehhh go figure!

I agree, when I toke a read in this part... oh, man... what stupidy...

Investigators need only find evidence of scarred animals and dog fighting tools such as weighing scales or sticks used to separate dogs locked in combat in order to work up criminal cases
    All it takes is some basic dog stuff & now you're a dogfighter based on a paraphernaila charge. Scary..................

Quote Originally Posted by miakoda
    All it takes is some basic dog stuff & now you're a dogfighter based on a paraphernaila charge. Scary..................
    Yeah, "if you have a breakstick you're guilty"... not scary, but stupid!!!

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Highbloodbulldog
    Yeah, "if you have a breakstick you're guilty"... not scary, but stupid!!!
    Its ridiculous. I hardly ever see anyone walking pitbulls. The media has blown this out of wack as usual. They make it seem that every corner you turn, you will be seeing a snarling pitbull. lol... thats not true. I rarely see anyone walking a pitbull in my area.