+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Style Farm Bulldog??

So I get and email from a friend of mine showing me this dog.. he called it an "Old Style Farm Bulldog" WTF? I've never heard of that.. I know American Bulldogs were referred to as Southern Bulldogs.. or Farm bulldogs.. Is that what this is? He's using it to watch his goats.. Can anyone enlighten me?

Default Re: Old Style Farm Bulldog??

no tellin' what he is but, i wouldnt leave him with my goats...

in brazil there called bulldog campeiro..http://www.bulldoginformation.com/br...n-bulldog.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher
    no tellin' what he is but, i wouldnt leave him with my goats...
    Thats what I thought.. but he has a serious bad problem with Bobcats killing his herd, flock, whatever a group of goats is called.. and he says this dog has been excellent about keeping the goats took care of.

5. Default Re: Old Style Farm Bulldog??

it almost looks like a ameircan bulldog mixed with a littel english bulldog if it is ok with you i would like to send the link to your post to a buddy of mine he raise bulldogs and can tell me what it is or if their is such a thing called a old style fram bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by NcPrisonGuard
    Thats what I thought.. but he has a serious bad problem with Bobcats killing his herd, flock, whatever a group of goats is called.. and he says this dog has been excellent about keeping the goats took care of.
    That's good if they are protecting them but it's a new one on me...My dog have gotten a hold to a goat or two and they'd just rip em' to shreds. Has he ever tried using a Great Pryanese?

Okay apparently its a mutt..lol.. Olde English and American Bulldog. He says he's doing a great job with the goats.... I mentioned about getting a dog that was actually bred for flock protection and he's happy with the job this one is doing. Apparently the person he got it from has been messing with the same lines for a while now using them as catch dogs and what not..so que sara sara.. if he comes home to a slaughter house I guess he'll have nobody to blame.

Well, my hubby use to talk of the old bulldogs and refer to them as the APBT's. Said ppl use to have them on farms in the country. Said you could but them out of Field and Stream Mags. Registered pit bulls.

Smile Re: Old Style Farm Bulldog??

Quote Originally Posted by NcPrisonGuard
    So I get and email from a friend of mine showing me this dog.. he called it an "Old Style Farm Bulldog" WTF? I've never heard of that.. I know American Bulldogs were referred to as Southern Bulldogs.. or Farm bulldogs.. Is that what this is? He's using it to watch his goats.. Can anyone enlighten me?

There is an incorruptible sign for a real Bulldog. The Bulldog is the dog which is able to defeat all the other kinds of dogs. This is the sign .... no matter whether today, yesterday or 400 years ago. Which dog earns this name today? How many different Bulldog kinds are there? And which by them earns the name really? You recognise the Bulldog not because he works with cattle or in it how he looks, you recognise him only by his efficiency....

Attila Guest

Those are mix breeds.

CynthiaATL Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dunlap
    That's good if they are protecting them but it's a new one on me...My dog have gotten a hold to a goat or two and they'd just rip em' to shreds. Has he ever tried using a Great Pryanese?
    I agree my friend in SC has 2 Great Pryanese living with her herd of goats and they do a good job with hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Magyar
    Those are mix breeds.
    i agree they may be mixed breed. but why not allow what works to work.

i mean honestly before the standard that represents the pitbulls we have today they were all different dogs as long as one performed they were bred, finally a standard was brought upon us, ubt the pitbull to me is an evolutionary dog and has always been that, whatever the job was, the dog was going to be the best at it and if anyone says the pitbull wasnt mixed ever is wrong.....

forgot to say that i think some were kept a certain way and they have flourished in their own way, but others have descended to something new and evolutionary, im not a dog fighter so i dont see any reason for the old dogs, i know my dogs can excell in hog hunting and whatever cause they have showed time and time again.
    Last edited by kanediggity; 05-19-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Wink Re: Old Style Farm Bulldog??

Quote Originally Posted by kanediggity
    i agree they may be mixed breed. but why not allow what works to work.

i mean honestly before the standard that represents the pitbulls we have today they were all different dogs as long as one performed they were bred, finally a standard was brought upon us, ubt the pitbull to me is an evolutionary dog and has always been that, whatever the job was, the dog was going to be the best at it and if anyone says the pitbull wasnt mixed ever is wrong.....

forgot to say that i think some were kept a certain way and they have flourished in their own way, but others have descended to something new and evolutionary, im not a dog fighter so i dont see any reason for the old dogs, i know my dogs can excell in hog hunting and whatever cause they have showed time and time again.
    I am also no Dogfighter .But I am of the steady conviction that the fight is the oldest genetic task . Show me the world-best fighting dog and I show you a really old and noble dog race . If you searching for the old true things you may not use your eyes, then only heart and logic are asked . What is standard? I tell you its the afterbirth of showbreeding! If someone told you things about an incredibly quick dog you know immediately he talks about a greyhound and if someone told you he has a dog that is able to fight for hours....you know what kind of dog he has, you dont have to see the dogs....you K N O W it. And believe me this are old dog races .

Their are many theories as to the history of the American Bulldog. There are stories in the past of these farm bulldogs being utilized as stock dogs that caught on command, as well as being protectors of the farm/livestock. Multi-purpose dogs so to speak.

The farm bulldogs I grew up with were known as White English (definitely not to be confused with the AKC English bulldog). The link below is what some view as the history of the White English Bulldog (I don't necessarily subscribe to their views)
    http://bttbab.com/

Finally, this is Dallas, my AB gyp that would be considered mostly White English. She would not fall into their standard for a working WEB...her prey drive for the furries is pegged.
    Last edited by BamaBoy; 05-19-2007 at 08:57 AM.