+ Reply to Thread

Default albon and sulmet?

i know some of you all use this to prevent coccida, and i think i have "great living conditons" but what dosage do you use in the water? for grown dogs and pups? and how often... (my aunt had a pregnant stray lab/ ret. mix that had pups last month, all which are being clipped and the mom.)

Default Re: albon and sulmet?

Albon is used to treat coccidia, not prevent it. Hygiene & a clean yard will prevent it.

Sulmet add to their water will prevent it too..

Quote Originally Posted by miakoda
    Albon is used to treat coccidia, not prevent it. Hygiene & a clean yard will prevent it.
    that is mot an issue...but do i still need to worry about putting it there water? some say yes and no thats the reason why i am coming here!

never doen it for dogs, but i raise goats, and at 5 weeks old, we start preventative treatments, with dimethox 40% (generic albon) we do a 10-14 day preventative treatment, then watch for the cocci in fecals. so if you have an older dog (as in not a pup) i would have a fecal ran and ask them for a cocci count, or if you have a microscope you can run your own fecal (that is what we do). we don't treat older goats unless they show an egg count.

i can tell you this, we lime like crazy, and never have an egg count.... so if you keep a clean yard, you shouldn't have a problem. hope this helps some.