+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by LegendsMami
    I'm not sure if this was said already. B/c I just skimmed through so sorry if its already said. State Farm I've heard accepts APBTs.
    I'm gonna give them a call later, i got numbers for like 10 different companies i found so hopefully one of them excepts apbt's.

I held insurance licences in CT,VA and HI for more than 10 years before I decided I hated insurance and opted not to renew my licences.

Here you go.

State Farm will write a risk with Pit Bulls. Expect an agent to come out and meet your dogs. Some do and some don't though.

I just talked to my Nationwide Agent and he said that they just received an underwriting memo that Nationwide will write dogs that are red lined (excluded) like Pit Bulls, Rotties, etc. with a certificate that they have completed the AKC Canine Good Citizen course and passed the test.

As to whether or not a company will pay a claim that IS NOT related to the dog in the event you have a loss and they find out that you have a pit bull and didn't tell them, it's ifey.

I've seen it go both ways. I've seen the company refuse to pay a claim that was not dog related because the insured mis-represented themselves on the application intentionally. They refunded the money that was paid towards premiums at short rate and that was that.

I've also seen the company pay the claim, and get off the risk on the next renewal citing that the insured had a dog that was specifically excluded by underwriting. I've also seen them pay the claim and give the insured a 60 day Notice of Cancellation.

It all depends on the underwriting guidelines and the laws in your state.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull219
    I bought my first house 8 years ago. We already had Allstate for auto so we went with them for the homeowners. We were up front and told them we had a pit bull when they asked. They sent an agent out to temperament test our dog. He said she was the best behaved dog he'd ever been sent out to have a look at. So, no problems there. When we bought our second home last year, they didn't ask us anything about dogs. But, I was just reading somewhere a couple months ago that their policy has changed and they do have a breed specific policy in place now.
    So, do you believe that if you were not asked, yet it was against their policy to insure homes that had bulldogs, that in the event of storm damage/fire, they would pay, or would not have to pay? That is my delima. They didnt ask at first, and then the inspector saw I had a bulldog, yet they lost the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyden
    I held insurance licences in CT,VA and HI for more than 10 years before I decided I hated insurance and opted not to renew my licences.

Here you go.

State Farm will write a risk with Pit Bulls. Expect an agent to come out and meet your dogs. Some do and some don't though.

I just talked to my Nationwide Agent and he said that they just received an underwriting memo that Nationwide will write dogs that are red lined (excluded) like Pit Bulls, Rotties, etc. with a certificate that they have completed the AKC Canine Good Citizen course and passed the test.

As to whether or not a company will pay a claim that IS NOT related to the dog in the event you have a loss and they find out that you have a pit bull and didn't tell them, it's ifey.

I've seen it go both ways. I've seen the company refuse to pay a claim that was not dog related because the insured mis-represented themselves on the application intentionally. They refunded the money that was paid towards premiums at short rate and that was that.

I've also seen the company pay the claim, and get off the risk on the next renewal citing that the insured had a dog that was specifically excluded by underwriting. I've also seen them pay the claim and give the insured a 60 day Notice of Cancellation.

It all depends on the underwriting guidelines and the laws in your state.
    Would this underwriting be written in my policy? I am stupid to this kind of stuff!! How can I find out? I live in Louisiana, and they did not ask if I had dogs, then the agent saw, and reported the bulldogs, then we never got the written letter that we were supposed to get about it, and never heard nothing again, and they were suposed to cancel, but never did. It was like they knew we would transfer our auto and home, and wanted to keep us, so they lost the report.

Attila Guest

I don't know about all this as my kennel is registared and all the other happy horse crap. I will say this, it is a wonderful write off on my taxes. Which makes up for any extra premiums that I may had to have paid. However they never asked me what kind of dogs I raised and they did come out. Never have I had an issue. But I have a farm also the kennel, the boat, several cars and so on. I would find an independant broker and ask their advise on the issue. There are many companies and many angles to play. Hell if you told them you had plott hounds they would likely not know the dang difference any way. If it don't have a head on it like a $#@! rat or weigh 100 pounds they may think you have a bird dog for that matter. Tell them you have a white pellican dog. Or you can say it is just a mutt and that isn't really telling a lie. Mixbreed or what ever. That ask mixed with what say yorky and blood hound. That would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BoiBoi
    I imagine if it came down to it that they probably wouldn't pay for damages. This really effing sux, im gonna have to lie and keep my dog hidden for the first few months because i doubt im gonna find one that excepts apbt's, and im not about to pay a $#@! load more because i have a "vicious pitbull", effing @$$holes
    STATE FARM don't mind pitbulls as long as it's not a yard full but i have 5 here at the hous and he said it's not a problem,,,, they aren't breed specific

maryellen1 Guest

Prime Insurance in Utah will write homeowners and rescues with pitbulls. allstate, state farm and erie like purple said will write them also. do not lie on your application, as that is considered fraud and they can deny any claim due to you lying on your application.

Mine is through:
    Goodwill Insurance
    2026 FULTON RD NW
    CANTON, OH 44709-3564
    Phone: 330-455-0538

I don't know if they do other states but It wouldnt hurt to call an ask. They know what kind of dogs I have and they just put in a written exclussion on the dogs.

**edit** Also when the man came out to see the house he walked right through my chain spaces and petted most of the dogs. So far we have been happy with this company and have had no problems
    Last edited by Verderben; 11-16-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendsMami
    I'm not sure if this was said already. B/c I just skimmed through so sorry if its already said. State Farm I've heard accepts APBTs.
    they were the first ones I called and they told us no and read off a whole list of dogs they will not except.

Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltageAPBT
    they were the first ones I called and they told us no and read off a whole list of dogs they will not except.
    First, although each insurance company has an overall blanket policy on dogs, it's up to the individual agent that you call to decide if he/she wants to cover you. Some agents will not cover those people with certain breeds of dogs or large dogs period, regardless of what their company's overall policy is.

That's why it is very important to call several different agents within the same company & see which one has the space to write you & your home coverage.

As far as Farmer's & Farm Bureau go, we were dropped by both once they found out we had "pit bulls". With each company, we were given 14 days to find new insurance before our policy with each expired & if that were to happen, then we would've defaulted on our mortgage (which states we must have H.O.'s insurance at ALL times) & we could've lost our home.

My advice is to ask up front about their dog policy. This does not mean to blurt out that you have "pit bulls", hell, don't even say you own a dog, just ask what their policy is. This way should certain breeds be banned & you were about to get coverage with them, you can back out b/c in the even something happens with your dog, they will NOT cover it AND you will be dropped anyways! And if asked what breed of dogs you own, NEVER EVER lie! It could come back to bite you in th ass & possibly cause severe problems for your family.

The moral of the story is, it is your (& mine too) responsibility to find out all the facts about H.O. coverage. Just because they fail to say something about black listed breeds, doesn't always mean they don't exist or have issue with them. Don't play ignorant.....we can't afford it.

I do know that for the state of Louisiana, AllState, Farmer's Insurance, Farm Bureau, Liberty Mutual (aka Prudential), Banner, & AAA have blacklisted breeds & will NOT insure anyone owning these dogs. State Farm has by far been the best company to go with...all they wanted to know was if we owned large dogs (over 40lbs in their book) or small books & that was it. Heck, my agent has a gorgeous red/red nose female that he adopted & most of the people who work in that office own blacklisted breeds themselves (GSD's, Dobermans, Rotties, & Huskies).

EDIT: I also want to add that it's important & to think things out when getting your policy worked out. Although we weren't required to carry any certain limit of liability, I made the decision to up the liability amount based solely on the fact that we own animals....period. And not that I ever think my animals will hurt someone, but IF someone gets hurt on my policy, we want to be properly covered. And although we now carry more than 100,000 liability, I can tell you this.....a 100,000 policy cost us about $25.00 a year more than the lower standard one & IMO, it's stupid not to get it if you own ANY type of pet (or have a pool or other yard "toys" in which someone could get hurt).

We have State Farm here in Michgan. I called them to see if I could get a rider because of my dogs and they said not to worry about it. Also, my wife walks the dogs past the agents building and when we go in to pay they comment on how good the dogs look.

Ferk out

We got renter's through State Farm including city-mandated liability to cover dog bites (BSL town). They were totally decent about it, just wanted to know if she'd ever bitten anybody. Our agent was a Pit Bull owner as well. State Farm is supposed to have a policy of acceptance across the board, with the exception of places like Ohio where they are de facto dangerous due to state law.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamutt99
    We got renter's through State Farm including city-mandated liability to cover dog bites (BSL town). They were totally decent about it, just wanted to know if she'd ever bitten anybody. Our agent was a Pit Bull owner as well. State Farm is supposed to have a policy of acceptance across the board, with the exception of places like Ohio where they are de facto dangerous due to state law.
    Maybe that is why we were told no. We are in Ohio.

Attila Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JuckingFerk
    We have State Farm here in Michgan. I called them to see if I could get a rider because of my dogs and they said not to worry about it. Also, my wife walks the dogs past the agents building and when we go in to pay they comment on how good the dogs look.

Ferk out
    I spent a great part of my youth in Gladwin Michigan. Both my Grandfathers were dog men and I just took over when they died. I never had issue till I bought a house in Saginaw. sold it about 45 days later and made $10,000. I was only on leave. Payed $28,000 put $6,000 into buying pain and siding and trim bought three kegs and got my cousins to help me do the work. Keep them drunk and working and they are happy. sold it for $45,000 on the market for five days. down in oakland county you can buy them pretty them up and they will be on the MLS for about 3 days some times. Or at least about 15 years ago. I don't know the market now. It got to be too much work. Yes I did pay them some money too. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig
    So, do you believe that if you were not asked, yet it was against their policy to insure homes that had bulldogs, that in the event of storm damage/fire, they would pay, or would not have to pay? That is my delima. They didnt ask at first, and then the inspector saw I had a bulldog, yet they lost the report.
    I believe your situation is different from mine. I think since they came to meet my dog those years ago, I'm grand fathered in and that's why they didn't ask me anything about how many or what kind of dogs I own now. If they asked i would be totally up front with them. I think it would be up to the individual agent, whom we have always had a good relationship with. I don't see how they could avoid paying a claim were I to have one.

Thanks for everyone's advice, i ended up calling a bunch of different companies and it looks like all of them have this same blacklist for specific breeds. Well what i ended up doing is saying that he's a mix (which he is) and when they asked me what kind is said a boxer mix, because he is half boxer, but i feel that if i would tell them the other part of the mix is pitbull they definately wouldn't insure me. So for now im gonna have to stick to my word that i only know the boxer side of his mix and hope that everything goes well until i can find one that doesn't discriminate.

Chef-Kergin Guest

I have allstate here in OH. Our agent told us that they were fine with pets, but if there were ever *any* incdient involving our animals, whether it would be our JRT snapping the end of my nephew's fingertip off or any other incident, we would be dropped. That and they had to be kept on a lead in public, and not have to ability to "roam the neighborhood."

I just asked her what their policy on dogs was. That was her response. She said "she didn't have any particular dog she thought was dangerous." I told her we planned on getting an APBT in the near future. She asked to come by the house (agent was a woman my mom knew through someone somehow so it wasn't awkward), and she said it didn't seem like an "environment where the dog would be a problem."

She said follow all our city's laws and regulations, which is simply keeping the dogs registered and be able to prove they're up to date on shots if there were to be a biting accident, and there woldn't be a problem.

Just so happened she was the cheapest quote, so we went with her.

So i just talked to a state farm agent and they were the first one's not to ask about having a dog or not, so hopefully things will work out and i won't have any more drama with this whole mess

Attila, I am just south of Lansing. The only problem I have around here is my dogs are my $#@! neighbors and the police chief. About 15 years ago he broke up a roll and they still run storys in the Lansing State Journal about how he broke up a "dog fighting ring". Every time someone gets caught doing what they say they shouldn't they always mention this jackass. My next door neighbor is a cop and he has no problems with my dogs.

Ferk out

Just tell them you have a terrier. Its funny how they list pitbulls and rotties but they dont list filas, corsos, or other types of bully dogs.