+ Reply to Thread

Question When should I FEED? Morning or Evening? and HOW MUCH?

Ok, this is a thread for part of my research for when I get my pup in early 2007.

I plan on feeding dry food.

Here are a few questions for you all

First question I have is I understand that A puppy should be fed more than once a day...what is the general rule for feeding a puppy , i need ages too.. like x months to x months feed this many times. And I need a way to figure out when to cut down the number of meals to once a day.

Secondly how do you figure out how much to feed a dog ? Based on weight or what ? Trying to get an idea of how much a dog of like 40lbs might eat per day.

Thirdly.. My understanding is that it is better to feed your dog 1x a day. So I am trying to figure out when would be the best time to feed with my situation.
    Let me explain my situation.

My general plan is this :::
    Get up early in the morning and give the dog some activity, perhaps a walk, some play, and/or training, maybe spend 45 minutes. Make sure he has water, then go to work. The dog will be in a nice kennel during the days of good weather, and crated most likely in bad weather. When crated he would get a break in the middle of the day most likely.

After about 9 hours I would return from work. And spend the evening working and spending time with the dog. The dog would most likely spend the rest of the evening in the basement with me after training / working etc.

So in this situation I want to think, that perhaps it is better to feed in the EVENING, after we are done with physical activities etc. That way the dog has something to work for during training etc. Perhaps I could still spread some treats in the morning and during the evenings training and then compensate the amount of food at night based on the treats.

But another problem I think of is, when is the dog gonna want to make a bowel movement? If I feed about the time it gets dark will he want to go shortly after? Or a couple hours later before bed? Or will this later feeding make him want to go in the middle of the night?

On the flip side If I feed the dog in the morning before I go to work, he isnt working as hard for it and it doesnt seem like he would be as motivated for training in the evenings. The Evening feeding almost feels like a NO BRAINER..

Anyway I would like to hear opinions and advice on how you all do it and would do it in my situation.

Default Re: When should I FEED? Morning or Evening? and HOW MUCH?

well i feed pups up to 1 year twice a day morning and night. after one year I feed once a day in the evening after working/training.

how much to feed depends on the individual dog you will be able to tell if you are not feeding enough, he will still be looking to eat, a good starting point would be what the manufacturer recommends on the bag.

yes definatly feed at night. after workouts. not only will this get the dog into a routine if you plan on conditioning him in the future but by feeding him later in the evening he should be tired and have a full belly and be ready for a good nights sleep without keeping you awake too much. and he should want to poop shortly after feeding in the evening, just be sure to bring him outside after he is finished eating so that he learns that its time to poop after he eats.

I by far am no expert, this is just what i have learned from my experiences, if any of this is inaccurate please let me know..

good luck with the future pup, I only wish more pet owners would do half of the research that you have done.

Smile Re: When should I FEED? Morning or Evening? and HOW MUCH?

Quote Originally Posted by semo
    Ok, this is a thread for part of my research for when I get my pup in early 2007.

I plan on feeding dry food.

Here are a few questions for you all

First question I have is I understand that A puppy should be fed more than once a day...what is the general rule for feeding a puppy , i need ages too.. like x months to x months feed this many times. And I need a way to figure out when to cut down the number of meals to once a day.

Secondly how do you figure out how much to feed a dog ? Based on weight or what ? Trying to get an idea of how much a dog of like 40lbs might eat per day.

Thirdly.. My understanding is that it is better to feed your dog 1x a day. So I am trying to figure out when would be the best time to feed with my situation.
    Let me explain my situation.

My general plan is this :::
    Get up early in the morning and give the dog some activity, perhaps a walk, some play, and/or training, maybe spend 45 minutes. Make sure he has water, then go to work. The dog will be in a nice kennel during the days of good weather, and crated most likely in bad weather. When crated he would get a break in the middle of the day most likely.

After about 9 hours I would return from work. And spend the evening working and spending time with the dog. The dog would most likely spend the rest of the evening in the basement with me after training / working etc.

So in this situation I want to think, that perhaps it is better to feed in the EVENING, after we are done with physical activities etc. That way the dog has something to work for during training etc. Perhaps I could still spread some treats in the morning and during the evenings training and then compensate the amount of food at night based on the treats.

But another problem I think of is, when is the dog gonna want to make a bowel movement? If I feed about the time it gets dark will he want to go shortly after? Or a couple hours later before bed? Or will this later feeding make him want to go in the middle of the night?

On the flip side If I feed the dog in the morning before I go to work, he isnt working as hard for it and it doesnt seem like he would be as motivated for training in the evenings. The Evening feeding almost feels like a NO BRAINER..

Anyway I would like to hear opinions and advice on how you all do it and would do it in my situation.
    I feed only dry Food.And all that things we dont eat....eggs,breed,bones,vegetables, all the things we dont eat.They have allways dry food and I let them eat as much as they like...the whole day. 15kg are enough for 2 weeks (2dogs)then they get a new bag of food.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you're feeding a good quality kibble then the best thing to do would be to follow the feeding guidelines on the bag. Really I would say whateve you feed to follow the guidelines the manufacturer listed. They put them there for a reason, so I'd stick with them. The kibble I feed says to give your dog 1 cup twice a day so that's what she gets and she looks damn good.

*I feed Timberwolf Wild and Dry*

We feed our dog in the evenings as well, we have 9 dogs and each of them get a different portion than the other. Like someone else said you can tell in time how much each one needs- you will also be able to tell by feeding them which ones gains weight quicker or loses weight quicker so this will help you adjust their food portions for winter, summer or getting ready to condition them- believe me in no time you will know your dogs good enough on how much they need and when you can cut back and so forth.

Good luck with your up coming puppy

IMO, twice a day is better, regardless of age. Small pups, maybe 3 times a day. Smaller, more frequent feedings allow for better absorbtion of nutrients. Amount, most foods should have a rough estimate of what you should feed. But it can change greatly from dog to dog and based on activity level. For example, a dog being worked hard to be in a show will need more food. The quality of food also will change how much to feed. Better food, you can feed less (and get less poop). Lower quality, feed more, and more will be passed as waste.

Attila Guest

I will give you a schedule and you're getting a high energy dog. I give 1 1/2 cups in the morning and same amount evening. 0430 and 1630 are my feeding times 0600 is working time and again at 1800. The pup will be fairly used to that schedule already. I have no Fat dogs nor underweight dogs. Gretchen requires 4 cups a day as she is slightly larger than Baby. I feed Hunterspecial 21%. Unless one is with pups.