+ Reply to Thread

Default Dog throwing up after she eats!

My dog Lucy keep throwing up after she eats, it's not immediately after she eats it's probably about 5-10 minutes afterwards. Some of the pieces are not digested at all. Could she had a virus or something. Could it be caused by her eating grass? She eats grass everytime she goes outside.

Default Re: Dog throwing up after she eats!

How long has this been going on does she have any other symptoms like loose stools or lameness.

MercedesMama Guest

It could be anything. How old is she? Is she UTD on shots? Has she been dewormed? My dogs eat grass and they just throw up grass. Is she acting normally? How long has she been doing this? I would just go and have her checked out to be on the safe side. Its so hard to say.

Calm down.

1. How old is the dog?
    2. Is the dog current on vaccinations?
    3. When did this begin?
    4. Does the dog get rawhides/chewbones to chew on?
    5. Does the dog eat objects/toys it's not supposed to? (inedible objects)
    6. What do the dog's bowel movements look like? Normal? Loose? Diarrhea?
    7. Does the dog vomit at all after drinking?
    8. Is the dog vomiting after EVERY meal?

Suki Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie
    My dog Lucy keep throwing up after she eats, it's not immediately after she eats it's probably about 5-10 minutes afterwards. Some of the pieces are not digested at all. Could she had a virus or something. Could it be caused by her eating grass? She eats grass everytime she goes outside.
    If she's eating grass everytime she goes out, and then comes in and throws up, the grass may be acting as an irritant to bring up whatever it is that's upsetting her stomach. What is the order: Does she eat first and then go outside and eat the grass and throw up?
    Dogs eat grass for a variety of reasons, so, if it's related to everytime she eats, perhaps it's her food that's upsetting her stomach, and she eats the grass to help bring it back up, to rid herself of it.

If it's not always "grass related" then, as mentioned, could be from a variety of reasons. Has her food been changed recently? Does she "inhale" her food, as opposed to "eating" it? Yes, how old is your dog? Any other changes occurring or going on?

She will eat and than throw all of her food up, as of right now we have just been giving her handfuls of food, and she gobbles it down like somebody is going to take it from her. She's sort of lazy and she cannot get comfortable. She's all up to date on her shots and I believe this has been going on for a week or so, she's my dog but she lives with my parents because I'm going to school and cannot have any pets. She keeps pacing back and forth every 5 seconds and she's lazier than normal, she's a very active/high active dog but she just lays around and cannot get comfortable, though she does go after our other dog Ozzie.

If she's not acting normal then I would take her to the vet and have her checked.

She needs to see the vet. I'd be worried about an obstruction in the intestinal tract. Take her for a check out & possible x-rays/barium series ASAP.

sounds to me like a blockage in her stomach somewhere,get her to the vet ASAP becuase it could be anything from a piece of chew toy to a rock she ate while she was eating grass or something.you just never know,but get her to the vet asap because blockages if left untreated can kill a dog.

Suki Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS PIT DOGS
    sounds to me like a blockage in her stomach somewhere,get her to the vet ASAP becuase it could be anything from a piece of chew toy to a rock she ate while she was eating grass or something.you just never know,but get her to the vet asap because blockages if left untreated can kill a dog.
    I agree. Get her seen pronto. A week of this behavior is too long.
    Good luck! and keep us posted.