+ Reply to Thread

Default APBT Head/Skull Question

I had a question regarding the head of the APBT.

My 14 week old girl has a bump on like the top rear of her skull. The breeder told me that as she grows the lump flattens and the skull drastically gets larger/wider. Her parents had very BIG heads. Does anyone know if there is truth to this lump widening and forming a big head thing?

thanks
    -c10

PS: I searched and didn't come up with anything about it, just lots of things having pictures of big headed pit bulls

Default Re: APBT Head/Skull Question

That's a myth. The skull does not split nor does the skull divide.

These dogs shouldn't have monstrous heads nor should they be bred for their head size.

As far as your dog goes, she will alwasy have that knot & the size of her head will be based solely on genetics so you'll just have to wait & see.

So basically the breeder either a) Lied to me or b) Did not know this was a myth himself

Either way I still love my pup and I'll have to wait and see how she turns out looking.

Quote Originally Posted by c10d
    So basically the breeder either a) Lied to me or b) Did not know this was a myth himself

Either way I still love my pup and I'll have to wait and see how she turns out looking.
    The term "ignorant back yard breeder" comes to mind.

I suggest in educating yourself & turning your dog into a wonderful example of a "pit bull" that we would all be proud of. Good luck with your pup & post some pics in the gallery if you haven't already done so.

Quote Originally Posted by miakoda
    The term "ignorant back yard breeder" comes to mind.

I suggest in educating yourself & turning your dog into a wonderful example of a "pit bull" that we would all be proud of. Good luck with your pup & post some pics in the gallery if you haven't already done so.
    Hmmm She seems like a quality pup, but what do I know. Her pedigree papers should be coming in from ADBA in the next week or two, since I had to send in her certificate to be changed under my name I ordered a 4 generation pedigree chart also.

I have posted pics in another thread, but I'll post the ones I have now too. I think she looks a lot better in person, IMO, but she looks cute in these pics too. The one is a picture of my little girl Mia playing with our rottweiler Bullie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mia.JPG‎
Views:	398
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	6452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mia n Bull.JPG‎
Views:	241
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	6453   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0828Image0008.JPG‎
Views:	344
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	6454   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0828Image0007.JPG‎
Views:	302
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	6455  

Good looking pup, the knot on the back of the head is normal, as the head gets bigger the knot probably won't be as visible. Good luck with her.

Quote Originally Posted by D'dizzle
    Good looking pup, the knot on the back of the head is normal, as the head gets bigger the knot probably won't be as visible. Good luck with her.
    Thanks D'dizzle. I was thinking it wouldnt be really visible when her head grows but Miakoda said she'll always have the knot, so I was thinking meant like even when her head grows, the knot will just grow with it and she'll always have a noticeable bump on top.

Something I noticed is on her left side when she is around sniffing the ground outback I see this little bulge stick out and I thought it was just part of her ribs but my mom is thinking it might be worms. She's got an appointment w/ the vet tuesday to get her shots and checkup so I'll just bring that up when we're there too.

The reason I said what I said is because people educated about canines, especially APBTs, don't go around touting myths especially in an effort to sell pups.

Quote Originally Posted by miakoda
    The reason I said what I said is because people educated about canines, especially APBTs, don't go around touting myths especially in an effort to sell pups.
    Yeah I completely agree with that, I wasn't coming at you negatively or anything. I was just wondering if when her head grows, does the lump usually not be as obvious.

It seems like many of the pups I have been seeing on lots of websites are being bred now for certain attributes like giant heads or weight. On the weight issue, I've been seeing "pit bulls" that are so big, they don't even look like APBT or AmStaffs, but more like some mongoloid looking mastiff/english bulldog cross that are weighing in at like 100lbs.