+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chondrodysplasia?

Some time ago I asserted that some bullies are affected w/ a type of dwarfism called "chondrodyplasia," also called CHD or CD. CD is a genetic defect in which the growth plates in a dog's legs close prematurely, resulting in a normal sized dog w/ bowed, dwarfed legs.

I was poo-poo'ed for my assertion on the matter, but I have recently found a photo of a dog that only cements my opinion that CD is found in our breed.

Here is Trixie:

I won't reveal the kennel/breeder name as I don't want this to turn into a bash fest on them. But this dog screams CD!

Here is a link on CD: http://www.erashavanese.com/CD2.html

It's on Havanese, but the same principals would apply to our breed. I find it horrifying that many of the CD affected Havs on this site resemble the "bully" APBTs we see today!

Call me all wet if you want to, but I firmly believe that CD is in our breed & is being exploited by $$$ minded breeders!
    Last edited by ABK; 07-21-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Default Re: Chondrodysplasia?

Poor thing!!! That is so sad to see a dog like that.

it is a awful condition but what gets me more than anything is there are screwballs out there who breed for this trait,and are damn proud that they can produce consistent litters of these poor deformed dogs.just makes me so damn mad.

That isn't normal for this breed however I imagine it becomes much more common with the obvious CROSSES that people do to overemphasize certain characteristics. That dog is about as pure as a hooker on Sunset BLVD.

Regards,

B

my mother-in-law had a JRT, that had the same problem. They had to get rid of him. that was one mean little mofo.. he bit nearly everone in the neighbor hood. i think thats why he was so mean, if you had bowed legs you would be mean as hell too..

Are you saying someone is actually breeding that bulldog!? Ahhhh!!!

I had a Lhasa client with that problem, the owners were very well off and paid for reconstructive surgery and the dog was much worse off, front legs crippled. I never realized until now how many Lhasas and maltese dogs I've seen with poor legs, I guess I just got used to it as if it was typical for the breed!

Quote Originally Posted by ABK

Some time ago I asserted that some bullies are affected w/ a type of dwarfism called "chondrodyplasia," also called CHD or CD. CD is a genetic defect in which the growth plates in a dog's legs close prematurely, resulting in a normal sized dog w/ bowed, dwarfed legs.

I was poo-poo'ed for my assertion on the matter, but I have recently found a photo of a dog that only cements my opinion that CD is found in our breed.

Here is Trixie:

I won't reveal the kennel/breeder name as I don't want this to turn into a bash fest on them. But this dog screams CD!

Here is a link on CD: http://www.erashavanese.com/CD2.html

It's on Havanese, but the same principals would apply to our breed. I find it horrifying that many of the CD affected Havs on this site resemble the "bully" APBTs we see today!

Call me all wet if you want to, but I firmly believe that CD is in our breed & is being exploited by $$$ minded breeders!
    Funny that the dog with the problem is blue...can you find me a pic of a truly game bred dog with this condition???...until you can... I wouldnt call it a breed specific trait.. id call it a mutt specific trait...sounds like a true case of what the genetic cat dragged in..it might be locked away somewhere but until man goes in to find it it isnt proliferated...see what happens when man strays of course...we get dachsundbulls

When I read this thread one specific bulldog came to mind......Shorty Cowboy ROM. I beleive he had this problem.

I'd take some Shorty Cowboy blood anyday, I dont care how his legs were formed or if his offspring have the same genetic defect.

There's a dog that the shelter thought was a Pit Bull/Corgi cross that has the head and body of a normal sized pit bull on the legs of a Corgi. I was wondering exactly how it was possible for a Corgi to mate with a Pit Bull without the use of a step-ladder... I'll see if I can find some pics of him, but I think this might explain why he is so short. He's not fat and bow-legged like the dog in the pic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Prowess
    Funny that the dog with the problem is blue...can you find me a pic of a truly game bred dog with this condition???...until you can... I wouldnt call it a breed specific trait..
    Actually, I have seen a few gamedogs who has it. Several were Hall bred & I believe the other was a Garner bred dog. I saw looked at a pic of Shorty Cowboy today & he does appear to have it as well. Furthermore, a lot of Shorty's offspring who were inbred on him have it too.

However, most gamedogs are not as severely affected as the CD body type is not a trait selected for. But since CD is thought to be recessive if you select for the trait it will appear w/ increasing regularity & if CD is bred to CD the dogs will become shorter & shorter w/ legs that are thicker & more bowed each generation, which is exactly what we are seeing.
    Last edited by ABK; 07-21-2006 at 08:42 PM.

Actually, I have seen a few gamedogs who has it. One was a Hall bred dog & the other was a Garner bred dog. I saw looked at a pic of Shorty Cowboy today & he does appear to have it as well. Furthermore, a lot of Shorty's offpsring who were inbred on him have it too.
    Can anyone give me a link to see shorty cowboy?

EDIT: i found this on peds online

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com...p?dog_id=18202
    Last edited by Bullyboi; 07-21-2006 at 07:20 PM.

I've been to this yard and saw this dog in person.

Marty, Shorty Cowboy or that crippled bluff?? LOL

The one Bullyboi posted LOL

COCHRAN'S SHORTY COWBOY (ROM)

We used to call him Cur dog Cochran LOL

So, you are saying you wouldnt feed a Shorty Cowboy bred dog? Was the cur thing serious or a joke? I've been looking into that line and would like to know what someone that KNEW the dog in person thought of him as a producer and individual?

All the below pictures dogs are gamebred:

Note the formation of the front legs. Indicitative of CD:

This dog is mildly affected. Note the bowing & slight twisting of the right front leg:

Another mildly affected dog. Note the twisted paws:

There are others I have seen. There was a pic of a Hall dog posted here many moons ago. I don't know if anyone remembers it but the dog was either black or seal in color & it's legs were so bowed & twisted that the poor thing looked like it had flippers instead of paws!
    Last edited by ABK; 07-21-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Note the formation of the front legs. Indicitative of CD:

This dog is mildly affected. Note the bowing & slight twisting of the right front leg:

Another mildly affected dog. Note the twisted paws:

There are others I have seen. There was a pic of a Hall dog posted here many moons ago. I don't know if anyone remembers it but the dog was either black or seal in color & it's legs were so bowed & twisted that the poor thing looked like it had flippers instead of paws!
    the middle dog looks as though it wouldnt stop the dog from performing but i may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperino
    So, you are saying you wouldnt feed a Shorty Cowboy bred dog? Was the cur thing serious or a joke? I've been looking into that line and would like to know what someone that KNEW the dog in person thought of him as a producer and individual?
    No, it was a joke, my mentor would have never went there if he didn't have some good dogs, I don't really have anything on Shorty Cowboy because I saw him on the chain only for a few mins, we were walking the yard is all
    You got a ped on em?
    Last edited by Marty; 07-21-2006 at 09:55 PM.

BullyBoi: Not all CD dogs are affected to the point of disability. Gamebred dogs are not usually affected & in most cases those who are affected are only mild to moderately so.

But if you take a mildly to moderately affected dog or even a severely affected dog & breed back on the line that produced it, CD could be isolated if one wanted & that type selectively bred for. Breeding CD x CD for successive generations would result in dogs like Trixx.

Marty: The first dog is Hall's Tractor Trailer. I couldn't find a ped on him but he was bred/owned by B. Hall. Here are peds on the other two, also Hall dogs ...

Middle dog: http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com...p?dog_id=24444

Last dog: http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com...?dog_id=130802

My point is not to bash game bred dogs. My point is that CD does appear run in our breed, to include game bred lines.
    Last edited by Marty; 07-21-2006 at 10:17 PM.

Ok, I belive you