+ Reply to Thread

Default What is the coldest temperature a 4 month old can handle?

a 4 month old apbt in a kennel run with a roof and a doghouse on concrete.

The doghouse would be properly built with insulation and a flap on the door as well as some sort of bedding such as wood chips.

What is the coldest temperature that this dog can live outside without risk of death or ill health? I am using this as part of my research so i can properly take care of my future dog.

thanks
    Last edited by semo; 07-10-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Default Re: What is the coldest temperature a 4 month old can handle?

You only have one dog as opposed to a whole yard, so I would play it ultra safe and put yourself in your dog's shoes. If it seems too bitter for you, it's probably too bitter for your pup. There are some great dog house designs that involved insulation, raised from the ground, leak proof, and stuffed with bedding, but just bring your dog inside. You only have one. Exposure to poor conditions can cause a whole slew of problems. Juse get your housetraining down before it gets too chilly and keep your dog cozy.

all of that still doesnt answer my question. Perhaps I dont have the option to "just bring the dog inside" and live full time..

That being said i know a dog can live outside more comfortably than humans, i just need to knwo to what extent.

Think about it like this. Some people choose to smoke and allow smoking in their home. Others do not.

Well some people choose to allow their dogs to live in their home and others do not.

Now the dog will get a good deal of time in the lower floor which is a walk in basement, but the upper levels are completely out of the question and are more of a higher class / expensive living quarters , as well as the domain of other animals.

That being said, help me make my dogs outside living as comfortable as possible.

Dont take me wrong, when it gets really cold and / or freezing i will not leave the dog outside to die. He will have a place / crate on the lower floor.

When i first got my dog, it was in the fall and he was 10 weeks old. When there was a possibility that the temp would drop below 40 i would bring him in my basement in his crate. Im not a pro or anything but too me a young pup shouldn't be outside when the temp is under 40 degrees. I look at it like if i was outside with just a shirt and pants on because apbt's have very short fur which won't do them very good while they are young. My dog is almost 2 years old now and he stays out damn near all year round unless its heavy snow or really cold out then its back to the basement.

Apparently this design with keep a dog warm up to -5 F

http://dunkelkennels.com/doghouse.html

This is a nice design
    http://dunkelkennels.com/joseshouse.html

I don't think there is an certain temp, so long as your dog is dry, you're good. No blankets or anything that retains moisture should be in the dog house. I am not sure if there is a legal temp when dogs are supposed to be brought in. I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Riptora
    Apparently this design with keep a dog warm up to -5 F

http://dunkelkennels.com/doghouse.html

This is a nice design
    http://dunkelkennels.com/joseshouse.html

I don't think there is an certain temp, so long as your dog is dry, you're good. No blankets or anything that retains moisture should be in the dog house. I am not sure if there is a legal temp when dogs are supposed to be brought in. I don't think so.
    Thanks, that is exactly the type of answer that I was looking for I will look at those links, but i am concerned about a dog that is 4 months old vs a dog that is fully matured on the difference of survivability, due to fat stores or whatever. Hopefully others will shed more light