+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Pit Bulls Have a 1800 PSI Jaw Pressure

Pit Bulls have a 1800 PSI Jaw Pressure. Wrong again. Working with author Karen Delise (Fatal Dog Attacks) we have researched the references used for this data and have found there is no factual research to support this claim. This myth stems from an article published in the 1989 The Journal of Trauma "Mauling by Pit bull Terriers: A Case Report" by Bret R. Baack, M.D., John O. Kucan, M.D., Gerland Demarest, M.D and E. Clyde Smoot, M.D. On Page 519 it states: "Pit Bulls bite with greater force than most dogs (up to 1,800lb/in2) (4).

Reference (4) cited for this fact is: "Dog bites in children: Epidemiology, microbiology, and penicillin prophylactic Therapy but Douglas A. Boenning, M.D., Gary R. Fleisher, M.D., and Joesph M. Campos, PhD.

However, neither the topic of bite pressure nor pit bulls is addressed or even mentioned throughout the entire article.

This case report is promoted by many people as fact, yet it's not substantiated anywhere.

On the other hand, here is scientific evidence proving this myth is an urban legend:

Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test.

Here are the results of all of the animals tested:

Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure

Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested.

Wild dogs: 310 lbs

Lions: 600 lbs

White sharks: 600 lbs

Hyenas: 1000 lbs

Snapping turtles: 1000 lbs

Crocodiles: 2500 lbs
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Pit...banlegends.htm

Default Re: Pit Bulls Have a 1800 PSI Jaw Pressure

Good lord, what will they think of next?

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyCa
    Good lord, what will they think of next?
    Who knows. The HSUS started with this crap, but now we can thank the street thugs, street fighters, & other idiots for the continuation of this myth we all know you'll get more respect if people think your dog has this kind of bite power. And God knows the media loves the attention & readers these headlines bring in.

I had the pleasure of watching this particular study take place on the National Geographic Channel. It was neat to watch the procedure they used to measure this. The best part was that the GSD & Rottweiler readily grabbed the covered bite plate, but the "pit bull" had to be urged. He looked as if he was scared of getting into trouble!

Thanks for that referance! It is very useful!

What was the show called on Animal Planet. I have that recorder and want to see if it will be re-aired sometime.

sedaliapitbulls Guest

just like the lock jaw myth Its hard convincing that pit bulls do not have a whey to lock there jaw just the will to keep them closed

Suki Guest

well, I'll be damn! I certainly have a mighty strong dog then, huh?!!!!!

guess I'll hafta bring her outside to crunch down a few trees for me....

and to think, all these years, I've been paying for my firewood....

I saw an episode on the discovery channel they were testing the biteforce of animals. They even tested humans, we have like a 80 to 100lb of bite force. Far less then any animal.

Isn't amazing the power of a lie when enough people keep saying it....too many always believe what they here without researching anything. In this day and age with the internet at your fingertips, there is really no excuse to not know the truth if you really want to.

Excellent Post! Someone at work had told me they saw the same episode. Almost hard to believe the pit came in last of the three but I guess the instruments don't lie.

Nice post and Link,V Informative.Thanks!

Holy cow! ... I need a Hyena

I saw that program. The tests were inconclusive. Watch the episode, it was extremely difficult to get the pitbull to bite on the sleeve where the bite gauge was. The pitbull's front teeth were the only thing touching the meter. The shark test also didn't get actual bite readings because most of the sharks were nibbling and not taking full bites. I don't think Dr. Brady Barr even knew what he was doing, the tests were so poorly done, I'm amazed anyone takes the crap that aired on that show as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher
    Holy cow! ... I need a Hyena
    BS I need some Crocodile sperm LMAO J/K

I thought it went GSD -3 Pit- 2 rot-1(one being highest on bite force).........Im almost positive it was that but hey i could be wrong hehe.

Those tests cannont be taken to use as a whole rep for the breed. For that one dog yes but there are hundreds of thousands of pit bulls all with different bite force and nothing is to say that dog was even biting nearly as hard as he could.

Attila Guest

Some people believe in space ships and martians too. Just think we could have the dogs that are hiding Elvis too.

MercedesMama Guest

Next BSL will be after Snapping Turtles..lol

Yeah, theres always one out there that has his own opinion on jaw strengh. Maybe, he should test that study, on himself. Would make for some good laughs, but oh so painful for him.

Wink Re: Pit Bulls Have a 1800 PSI Jaw Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by miakoda

Pit Bulls have a 1800 PSI Jaw Pressure. Wrong again. Working with author Karen Delise (Fatal Dog Attacks) we have researched the references used for this data and have found there is no factual research to support this claim. This myth stems from an article published in the 1989 The Journal of Trauma "Mauling by Pit bull Terriers: A Case Report" by Bret R. Baack, M.D., John O. Kucan, M.D., Gerland Demarest, M.D and E. Clyde Smoot, M.D. On Page 519 it states: "Pit Bulls bite with greater force than most dogs (up to 1,800lb/in2) (4).

Reference (4) cited for this fact is: "Dog bites in children: Epidemiology, microbiology, and penicillin prophylactic Therapy but Douglas A. Boenning, M.D., Gary R. Fleisher, M.D., and Joesph M. Campos, PhD.

However, neither the topic of bite pressure nor pit bulls is addressed or even mentioned throughout the entire article.

This case report is promoted by many people as fact, yet it's not substantiated anywhere.

On the other hand, here is scientific evidence proving this myth is an urban legend:

Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test.

Here are the results of all of the animals tested:

Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure

Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested.

Wild dogs: 310 lbs

Lions: 600 lbs

White sharks: 600 lbs

Hyenas: 1000 lbs

Snapping turtles: 1000 lbs

Crocodiles: 2500 lbs
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Pit...banlegends.htm

I think its impossible to test the Jaw Pressure of a dog (or any other animal) because the question is always: Did they use really A L L of his Jaw Pressure or just 90-70 or 50 %.....on the other hand wolves are able to crunch the biggest moose bones ...and thats absolute natural. I am not sure that every Bulldog is able to do that. They allways try to teach us that ouer Bulldogs are not normal, not natural....I think Bulldogs are more natural and normal than most humans.

Talking Re: Pit Bulls Have a 1800 PSI Jaw Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by missybee16
    Yeah, theres always one out there that has his own opinion on jaw strengh. Maybe, he should test that study, on himself. Would make for some good laughs, but oh so painful for him.
    Yes, without his third teeth of course...

I'm beginning to wonder if you can believe anything you see on TV. This show was on a while back and discussed on here. The way he was testing connot in any way show an accurate bite pressure. How do you know the dog had the cuff in his mouth correcty or not. Maybe if he would have done oh, maybe, 25 out of 30 tries!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    BS I need some Crocodile sperm LMAO J/K
    now that was dang funny right there!!!