+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default whats a large apbt bloodline or kennel

do you guys know of any kennels or bloodlines that are producing large apbt's? I don't want a weight puller but a game apbt 85-100#'s

Question Re: whats a large apbt bloodline or kennel

Quote Originally Posted by workman43113
    do you guys know of any kennels or bloodlines that are producing large apbt's? I don't want a weight puller but a game apbt 85-100#'s
    Good luck...Why a game dog so big??? **Edit for content-14rock** For big dogs 80lbs+ Im sure youd have better luck with gameness out of an Ambull or a Preasa Canario. Bred more true to type than the big apbt. YIS

Default Re: whats a large apbt bloodline or kennel

You will not find what you are looking for to be quite honest. There are game-dogs, and there are 100 lb. dogs. Large in the gamedog world is closer to 60 lbs, and if that is a conditioned weight-that is still extremely rare. You can buy a gamebred smaller dog... or a cold, cur, in all possibility mutt, that weighs 100 lbs.

My 53 Pounder Is Large To Me, I Cannot Imagine Owning An 100 Pound Monster, I Know To Each His Own But Yuck.

Sounds Like Someones Trying To Make A Quick Buck Off A "massive Bone Structure Game 100 Pound Pit" So Sad...

Lightbulb Re: whats a large apbt bloodline or kennel

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Conduct
    My 53 Pounder Is Large To Me, I Cannot Imagine Owning An 100 Pound Monster, I Know To Each His Own But Yuck.

Sounds Like Someones Trying To Make A Quick Buck Off A "massive Bone Structure Game 100 Pound Pit" So Sad...
    Its obviously a person who knows what they are talking about. LOL Id be willing to bet they have seen one in person( the owner even said it was a game dog). Try your local paper... YIS

LOL...god knows theres enough "100 lb. game monsters" for sale in the paper ROFL

Dont be so quick to jump all over people so fast and assume. Surely it was just a question ASKED MANY TIMES IN THE PAST. Not everyone is looking for a quick buck you know...
    Some people just like larger dog. All you have to do is tell it like it is, about these dogs being focused on ability and not their size. Sure, you get some freaks like mayday and aligator, but truth be told anything larger than 75+ and thats almost being the largest, is either a really fat pitdog or a mutt.
    If your looking for something larger, someone else said presas, good with them, or banddogs.

I gotta presa mix banddog, I'm thinking he has some mastiff in him, but he's no game dog, protects my yard and scares people away before they even think to try something. This dog is such a monster, I sit on his back and he starts to walk away with me on him lol
    Last edited by Mercepitdog; 04-19-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercepitdog
    Not everyone is looking for a quick buck you know...
    I GUESS THE PROBLEM IS, IS THAT THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE LOOKING TO MAKE THE QUICK BUCK, AND THATS HOW IT SOUNDED TO ME.

IF I JUMPED THE GUN, AND THIS WAS A LEGIT QUESTION, THEN I APOLOGIZE.... BUT IF THIS WAS A POST ABOUT WHAT I SAID... THEN SHAME ON YOU!

I GUESS THE PROBLEM IS, IS THAT THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE LOOKING TO MAKE THE QUICK BUCK, AND THATS HOW IT SOUNDED TO ME.
    IF I JUMPED THE GUN, AND THIS WAS A LEGIT QUESTION, THEN I APOLOGIZE.... BUT IF THIS WAS A POST ABOUT WHAT I SAID... THEN SHAME ON YOU!

I remember this member posting in the past, he stated he was looking for working type dogs with ability, and not just bred for fashion purposes. Thats why I said that.....

I remember him, he was looking for a larger dog for hog hunting.

Workman, 80-100 pounds is unheard of in a bulldog, even in staffs! 60-70 Ibs is probably as large as you will get, & even that is not common. Yellow/Mayday dogs are often a little larger, & I've seen some OFRN dogs around 65Ibs. But nothing over 75Ibs.

Size doesn't necessarily mean more ability. More often than not, smaller bulldogs have greater spped & endurance, thus improving their chances greatly.

However, I too will reccomend looking at another breed. American Bulldogs & Catahoula Bulldogs are genenrally much larger than a bulldog, and are obviously known hog catchers.

100-pound gamebred APBT sounds like an anachronism to me?

thanks guys i appreciate all the comments. Right now I have a awesome bandog for catchwork but I'm looking for a larger apbt for work and to stud for another bandog. Here is a site i found that looked like it had some good dogs tell me what you guys think about them. Their dogs are fairly heavy as well.

http://texasheatkennel.tripod.com/studs/

I'd go for an old southern white bulldog.

My male is around 76-78lbs O.T.C. with his performance weight being around 61-62lbs. Basically he is catch weight. He is so huge when he stands between my legs his back almost touches my nuts lol lol........

thanks guys i appreciate all the comments. Right now I have a awesome bandog for catchwork but I'm looking for a larger apbt for work and to stud for another bandog. Here is a site i found that looked like it had some good dogs tell me what you guys think about them. Their dogs are fairly heavy as well.

Those dogs are hard core man, nice

I think Jamie Long of Southern Bulldogs may have what you need. He specializes in gamebred catchweight dogs. I think he uses Mayday & Virgil lines & has dogs in the 80 - 100lb range.

Its nice to see that you are lookin at that stock as that is 100+ times better than any other you would get lookin for size.

i'm pretty serious about my dogs and i have been searching for awhile now and Mercepitdog can vouch for that. I'm not going to pick one of those freak dogs that can't perform on one of those top list sites. I'm going to check out Jamie those sound like great bloodlines.

I'd go for an old southern white bulldog.
    I didn't ever ask about an AB in my thread did I? I have had experience with all different lines of AB from painter/johnson to scott/johnson for me the AB is lacking compared to a pure apbt or performance bandog. They also tend to overheat more than the two i just mentioned due to the johnson/southern white influence. I could explain the reasoning more but this thread is about larger catchweight apbt's not AB so pm me if you have any questions as i did not ask for anyones opinions on what other breed i could get. Also I hope this doesn't offend as that was not my intended purpose.

mercepitdog I like their dogs to some of the best I have found.

Some damn nice dogs there!

Also, I too vouch for Southern Kennels.

Good luck.

I just got a question, now to some it may be stupid but do any of you think its possible that if you take the largest game male and the largest game female that you will have large pups. In the past I've seen to parents that were an pretty large size and most of the pups turn out bigger then the parents when they grew up. Now my question in all is do you think if you keep breeding large game dogs that eventually there will be 80 to 100 pounders in the future. Now if I'm not mistaken Colby did have a couple of 70 pounders.