+ Reply to Thread

Thread: chewing on tail

Default chewing on tail

how can i get my dog to stop chewing on her tail i tryed putting vinager on her tail and she stopped for a little while but she chews on it until its bleeding and she walks around waging her tail shaking blood every where

Default Re: chewing on tail

Could she be biting at fleas?

MercedesMama Guest

It could be fleas, dry skin, or bordem. There is this stuff call "Granny's Bitter Apple" its a topical spray that you can use to spray directly onto the dog or other things she is not suppposed to chew on. It's great stuff, I use it to keep mine from chewing up thier bedding.

Grannick's Bitter Apple works GREAT. Aaron had a hot spot at the base of his tail and I sprayed that stuff around it and he hated the taste. Oh the face he made when he first tasted it was PRICELESS. He never chewed on that spot again. The bad thing is that some dogs don't mind the taste, but it's worth a shot. It's cheap, too.

Here's a link for PetSmart:
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1143730591241
    Last edited by JuicyCa; 03-30-2006 at 09:02 AM. Reason: missed something

One of my dobes had extreme allergies and would also chew himself raw and scratch himself bloody. I tried the bitter apple on areas that he would chew (his feet) but you have to constantly reapply it because it wears off fast. I DON'T recommend it because when it did wear off and I was unable to reapply it in time, he would just chew twice as hard, like, "AHHHH, finally I can get to that itch!" so it was bad.

Ultimately what did the trick is taking care of the allergies. Which meant a serious diet change and rinsing him off daily (we lived in New Mexico and the dust and pollen caused allergic reactions). You must find the cause of the itching. It's usually fleas or allergies. My roommate's dog also had this problem and we switched his diet, he is a good weight now (he was very underweight as was my dobe) and he does not itch at all anymore.

Bitter apple has a lot of alcohol in it. I dont suggest putting it on an open bloody sore. Clean wound, wrap it with bandage first then apply bitter apple to the bandage. It works to stop chewing ANYTHING. YIS

i thinks dry skin, i havent seen any fleas on her

ill try that thanks

What are you feeding? I had a dog doing that until I switched to a different feed. He was allergic to the chicken in the formula. I now use a Lamb and Rice feed for him.

Regards,

B

Quote Originally Posted by B
    What are you feeding? I had a dog doing that until I switched to a different feed. He was allergic to the chicken in the formula. I now use a Lamb and Rice feed for him.

Regards,

B
    im feeding canidae

It could very well be the chicken in the Canidae. I've tried feeding Canidae to this same dog twice and got the same reaction both times. The only issue with Canidae is that it has a long list of ingredients so sensitive animals have more that they can be allergic to. It is a great feed if your dog has no allergies but it can be a nightmare if your animal has allergies. Just my $.02.... I think this might be the culprit.

Regards,

B

it very well could be the food,bath her in some oatmeal shampoo it should kind of sooth things for her.try the bitter apple spray and thats about it other than take her to the vet.never put hot sauce or anything like that on her skin to discourage it because it is like the equlivient to getting maced it burns the skin real bad,that only works on furniture and stuff if they chew on it.so after you bath her and try some diffrent feed if she doesnt stop take her to the vet.

It's all about diet. Find something with little to no wheat or corn, no by-products. Rice is very easy for dogs to digest, rice is a good base. It could be as simple as adding fish oil to the dogs food. I even cured my daughter's exima by offerring her more omega 3's (eggs) and good fats and oils. She had it bad too. My roommate's dog was cured from itchy, flaky, yucky skin and he was underweight by switching him to a sensative system/fish based diet. He doesn't itch anymore, his coat looks great and soft, his skin is normal and he is a good weight. He also has a great appetiate now, before he did not.

Wellness Whitefish and Potato is holistic food that is commonly used to treat animals with severe allergies. I've also heard that venison is another alternative food source to look for. I used the Whitefish and Potato for quite awhile but eventually found a slightly cheaper feed that accomplished the same goal (no allergic reaction). I also supplement the animal with Fish Oil caps to provide more Omega 3's. That was a very good point Riptora.

Regards,

B