View Poll Results: Should Homeowners Policies be cancelled because of the "Dangerous Dog List"

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they should - Comment Posted

1 1.16%
  • No they shouldn't - Comment Posted

83 96.51%
  • I'm not sure - Comment Posted

0 0%
  • I'm just clueless to the whole situation

2 2.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Insurance Companies & the Dangerous Dog Hit List

P.S.--The APBT isn't the only dog discriminated against by insuracne companies. The list includes the Am. Staff., SBT, B.T., mini B.T., Am. Bulldog, Olde English Bulldogge, G.S.D., Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Husky, Akita, Mastiffs (english, neo, bordeaux, corso, bull, etc.), Giant Schnauzer, wolf-hybrids, any mix of dog w/these breeds in it, etc. etc.
    Libery Mutual (Prudential) even requires that if you claim you have a "mutt" you have to take it to a licensed vet. & have him/her verify that the dog does not have any 'Pit Bull" in it for them to write you home owner's policy. I laughed at that one. As we all know, there is NO way for someone to positively state a mixed breed does or does not have "pit bull" in its genes. (too many other breeds are also short & stocky)

It's pretty bad here in the state of Washington. Most insurance companies will flat out refuse you a policy if you are the owner of one from their "hit list," especially if it happens to be a "pitbull." That's why I have a yard of "Shannon River Terriers," lmfao.
    A dogger friend of mine is currently being evicted because the homeowner recently had it brought to his attention that my buddy's dogs weren't really "Norwegian Ridgebacks," lol, but dreaded "pitbulls." The guy was perfectly fine with the dogs for many months, even praised their friendliness and such, but as soon as someone pointed out that the brindle one was one o' them crazy pits, suddenly all the dogs were trying to attack him at every available opportunity, lolololololololol!!! Damn, some people are just messed up.
    At least Washington is trying to enact a law right now which forbids insurance agencies up here to discriminate against any specific breeds of dog. We, at this point in time, have some strong supporters of the APBT up around these parts, thankfully. God knows we need all the help we can get.

here in CA, there's been and population boom and new housing developements are popping up everywhere. but you can't buy if you own a pit. the home owners association doesn't allow pits or pitmixes. they pretty much don't allow anything that don't fit in your pocket. if your caught owning one you have to either get rid of it or take the chance of getting kicked out of the community and losing your home and money for a breach of contract.

Our [1 dead end street mind you] Neighborhood Home Owners Association doesn't allow APBTs. Like I care. but since I've only lived here since last June & have already been bitten (once requiring many, many stitches) by a neighbor's lab running loose & a poodle, I haven't heard a peep out of them.

don't think you will either. unless a pit does something around there,then they'll forget about what happened and get back on the offensive. hope things stay good for you.

Thanks, Mudville. I've been upfront & honest on my dogs' attitudes towards dogs running loose & whatnot. Unfortunately, right after we moved in, my neighbor's dog, who was used to coming under the 8 ft privacy fence into our backyard (to play w/theprevious owners rottweiler), came into the yard & sadly didn't make it out alive. I did all I could, but 2 of my dogs didn't appreciate the "friendly" gesture. I had asked the neighbors several times to fix the holes under the fence befoer we moved in & they didn't. So they felt they were at fault (which they were) & handled it like mature adults. I was sorry to have gotten off on the wrong foot with them, but our families are now very close & their new dog is NOT able to dig his way under the fence anymore. It's to bad that more people don't deal with their consequences of their actions like that.

P.S.-- Before we move in, we videoed & took pics of the fence, the ground where the fence is laid, the 11 holes that were already there, & the yard/property in general. We then handed the pics over to our h.o. insurance company as evidence that our dogs weren't responsible for the holes & were not to be held at fault (even though most apbts are) if something were to happen (which it did) b/n our dogs & the neighbor's dog (who was a G.S.D. mix). State Farm like the fact that we did that & said that it would help our cause if the situation needed.

[QUOTE=MTNDOG]I do not think insurance co. should be able to raise rates because of breed, however if you have prior offences of dog bites the rates should be raised.

GOOD THATS WHAT I WOULD HAVE SAID.

Why should someone who knows nothing about our dogs have that power.

I also believe that the rate should not be raised unless the particular dog or dogs kept prove to be dangerous. But here it seems very much like auto insurance, the guy with the 1978 pinto and poor driving record is probably going to pay less than the guy with the 2005 Ferrari and shining driving record.
    I don't like it but it's all liability... i think I'm making sense, I'm tired LOL

One of the worst places to live, CAMDEN, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Crash97
    The reason is these so called dangerous dogs will be judged by people who know nothing of them. No different than BSL. Another modern day witch-hunt.
    You couldn't be more right

I voted no. When i was around 14 the insurance company found out that we owned a husky/chow mix that was unneutered. They were going to cancel my moms home owners insurance but she got into a screaming match with them and they finally agreed to come out to the house and meet the dog. I have never seen any one as scared as the insurance guy who walked in the door. Poor Naja picked up on the guy being scared and he didnt help the situation. I put Naja into a heel at my side and he didnt move. Just stared at the guy. They decided that my dog wasnt all that bad and they let my mom keep her insurance.

12. Default homeowners insurance

Hi,
    Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it. Homeowners insurance is a package policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people.