View Poll Results: Should Homeowners Policies be cancelled because of the "Dangerous Dog List"

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they should - Comment Posted

1 1.16%
  • No they shouldn't - Comment Posted

83 96.51%
  • I'm not sure - Comment Posted

0 0%
  • I'm just clueless to the whole situation

2 2.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Insurance Companies & the Dangerous Dog Hit List

Does your insurance company have the right to cancel or raise your homeowners insurance because of the "Dangerous Dog Hit List".

However you reply in the poll, I would like your personal perspective as to your choice of answers.

Remember folks.......this is a poll so let's respect each others opinions and keep it clean. Thanks,

JMAN

Amerika......where rights are stolen every day for our own "protection"

Default Re: Insurance Companies & the Dangerous Dog Hit List

The reason is these so called dangerous dogs will be judged by people who know nothing of them. No different than BSL. Another modern day witch-hunt.

I agree.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash97
    The reason is these so called dangerous dogs will be judged by people who know nothing of them. No different than BSL. Another modern day witch-hunt.

I feel as if that is very unconstitutional. Besides its your hard earned money you are giving them anyway!

The insurance business a game of chance in the first place and the companies know this. I dont feel like they should raise your insurance because someone has come up with a hit list on dogs they feel are dangerous. We pay good money to protect ourselves thru insurance in case something un expected happens to us and that is what insurance is all about. They make plenty of money in premiums and they are way ahead on the money side of it but the bottom line is the odds of your house burning down is greater than the odds of your dog biting someone so what is next are they going to exclude fire in our coverage?
    Quote Originally Posted by J M A N
    Does your insurance company have the right to cancel or raise your homeowners insurance because of the "Dangerous Dog Hit List".

However you reply in the poll, I would like your personal perspective as to your choice of answers.

Remember folks.......this is a poll so let's respect each others opinions and keep it clean. Thanks,

JMAN

I do not think insurance co. should be able to raise rates because of breed, however if you have prior offences of dog bites the rates should be raised. I said I had bulldogs, and never had a problem. I also offered to send him a digital pic. of the house so he wouldnt have to come out and it worked.

mtn

My homeowners insurance does not have anything like that listed in my paperwork. And if they umplemnted it I would have to search out another insurance company. There are too many people that have dogs on thier "list". The insurance companies that implemented this list I would think would be loosing money, but then again insurance companies are greedy like any other buisness. Like Gator said before insurance is for something like an accident or natural disaster. We can always start a petition against this too. LOL

Red face Re: Insurance Companies & the Dangerous Dog Hit List

IMO, the "Dangerous Dog" list, or whatever the hell you wanna call it is a load of B.S..... But, what can ya do??

ins. is a scam.i want back some money if i don't make a claim...yeah right..lol..that would be nice,but put yourselves in their shoes.ya got a pit bull those are the mean killers right.i can already hear the meeting they are havin about this subject.well believe or not they have us by the balls,so to speak.

asa you are right ins. is a money making scam.dangerous dog list another way to make money. next thing you know if you are a smoker it will cost more or how about having kids they cause accidents that will cost more. better stop giving them more ideas lol. its all a scam to me.

Michigan had something simialr and the judges threw it out declaring it unconsitutional. In Michgian, an insurance company cannot simply cancell your policy because of the breed of dog you own. Only if the dog does something like attacks then can they "disown" you.

Have of these laws violate our consitutional rights. charging us with crimes before they ever happen

Angry Re: Insurance Companies & the Dangerous Dog Hit List

Another dog being picked on. In the 70's the shepard- 80's the doberman- 90's the rottweiller and now the pit

These witch-hunters need to get a life. They should spend money on breed education, not extermination

I think the government is always looking for ways to screw you out of money and this is the stupidest idea yet! Next thing you know they'll be asking for money depending on how many children you own.

I voted no too. The insurance comp using a hit list as such is just one big scam I think too. Also, don't they have to prove that the animal is a breed on the hit list? I would assume this. I mean an animal can look like a pit but can be a bully mix, as can a rotty or any other dog. If my insurance company told me they will cancel or raise my rates b/c of my pit I would tell them where to get off then I would ask them to prove it was a pit. They can't and that is why it's a big scam. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by StopAnimalAbuse
    I voted no too. The insurance comp using a hit list as such is just one big scam I think too. Also, don't they have to prove that the animal is a breed on the hit list? I would assume this. I mean an animal can look like a pit but can be a bully mix, as can a rotty or any other dog. If my insurance company told me they will cancel or raise my rates b/c of my pit I would tell them where to get off then I would ask them to prove it was a pit. They can't and that is why it's a big scam. IMHO
    They can get you if the specify "pit mix or mix of any of these dogs" but you're right..how the heck would they even know if you never told them ..(just hope nothing ever happends to you home)

State Farm Insuance doesnt make you pay extra nor discrimate against you based on breed..only if the dog has actually done soemthing to deem it vicious.

But then look at how states and cities are screwing you by making you carry higher amounts based on a breed. I bet grannies shi Tzu down the block has attacked more kids than anyone's bulldog would ever..

Being an executive for an insurance company, I know that insurance like any other business is for a profit. As far as "hit list" ALL INSURANCE COMPANYS HAVE THEM, ON YOUR PAPER (POLICY) OR NOT.
    I think they should just exclude all animal/pet bites period. After all a poodle can do damage severly if your bitten in the face, or anyother matter for that fact.

I hate nsurance companies, we dont have the problem with our dogs here in ontario....although with the proposed ban happening now, if they dont ban the dogs they might still screw us with certain regulations.

Insurance is crap, sure it can help you, but do they ever give you what you deserve? hell no, we have this no fault insurance which is $#@!, my father was t-boned a few weeks ago by a garbage truck that ran a stop sign, his vehicle was completely destroyed, this van was in mint shape, extremely low miles, new rims and tires, checked over by the dealer every 5000 miles, I cant even describe how mint this van was, you cant find another 96 in that shape and low miles, insurance goes by the book, they give you X amount, they do not take into consideration of the true value, so now he has to find another one for the amount they gave him, all of them are $#@! high miles, rusted, etc. Why should he have to settle for something so much less when it wasnt even his fault? Now the next thing is that his insurance premiums are going to jump now, even though it is not his fault what so ever, this is complete horse $#@!.

the worst part is the government allows this

TERRIBLE TEXAS Guest

in my house in the city they tried to deny me insurance because of my dogs

what I don't get is who are they to determine a "Breed" is dangerous? I think instead of just charging higher rates or not insuring at all for breeds on their 'hit lists', they should be willing to temperment test home owner's dogs before making such rash decisions. The purpose of insurance is to protect you from paying out the ass should something happen on your property or to your property, dog bites are included. And why should we get punished with higher rates to exercise use of our insurance?

When I was little, my father adopted a 3 yo Brittany Spaniel who he chained in the back yard and she didn't let any male by her. She litterly would rip into their guts. My parents got sued twice over her, but you'll never see a Brittany Spaniel on the "hit list". I have 4 pits (1=13 yo, 3=3 yo's) and never an incident (knock on wood) with any of them who are on the invisible fence in a neighborhood FULL of kids. But if I report them all to my insurance company, I'd surely be paying out the ass for it. I only have my 13 yo reported on the policy as a terrier mix (shhhh...)

circlekpits Guest

I really dont think this be happening just because you a dog on the hit list. As with others I agree that if your dog has bitten someone then you should have to pay for it, but if you have never had a problem then why pay a higher premium. I have kids around my house and dogs all the time and never have I seen any of them attempt to bite even a stranger.

I also have friends that come over and visit all the time and still no problems.

Some things I guess are not to be understood.